The most competitive configuration...

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Taipan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » Sep 12 2006 11:49

i dunno guys

when exactly would you take 1 railgun, with 1 wound on the carrier, over 3 twin-linked railguns, which have 9 wounds across the squad, and have the ability to be tooled up to kill MeQ's and have two more 4+ invul wounds attached

besides ppl always under-estimate the Ionhead. Sneak it in under the radar :crafty: ;)
Strike hard, strike fast.

Feuerdrache
Shas

Post#20 » Sep 13 2006 12:15

Taipan wrote:I dunno guys

when exactly would you take 1 railgun, with 1 wound on the carrier, over 3 twin-linked railguns, which have 9 wounds across the squad, and have the ability to be tooled up to kill MeQ's and have two more 4+ invul wounds attached

When those three railguns cannot fire a S6 AP4 pie plate that doesn't scatter. And when they cost about a Railhead and a half for the squad, and cannot be nearly as mobile.

Taipan wrote:besides ppl always under-estimate the Ionhead. Sneak it in under the radar :crafty: ;)

A tank is a tank, and they won't be tricked a second time if it's as effective as you claim.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#21 » Sep 13 2006 02:46

Taipan please, just don't mention the Ionhead, just don't.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

BOHICAbob
Shas

Post#22 » Sep 13 2006 03:11

How IONHEAD about IONHEAD me IONHEAD ?
Any more layed back, I'd fall over.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#23 » Sep 13 2006 03:17

Are you purposefully being childish in order to annoy me, or is this some kind of tactical tit bit I can't understand ?
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

BOHICAbob
Shas

Post#24 » Sep 13 2006 03:39

Childish :roll:
Any more layed back, I'd fall over.

Protonic
Shas

Post#25 » Sep 13 2006 04:11

The precision S6 AP 4 large blast template is nothing to scoff at. Against an infiltrating squad of upgraded genestealers - its death on anti-grav pads. This example is very specific, but the utility is there to exploit the opponent's deployment.

The only enemy I would consider taking an ionhead against is Dark Eldar. They have no 2+ saves expect for the shadow field (2+ invunerable). The ionhead allows you to pick off expensive Incubi or kill Talos. Sniper drone teams fit the same niche though, and are significantly cheaper at 80pts (albiet the sniper drones are nowhere near mobile enough to capture table quarters or to evade assault troops).

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#26 » Sep 13 2006 05:02

Eldar also die in droves to the subs blast. I actually feel guilty when placing it on them (note I don't feel guilting about placing Defiler blasts on marines....)

The thing is, everything the Ionhead does is already covered by the FK suit, so rather use that HS slot to get a RG that cannot be duplicated anywhere else in the list.
That is my reasoning never to use Ionheads except against Necrons.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Protonic
Shas

Post#27 » Sep 13 2006 08:57

DE are more suspectable to the ionhead. Incubi and Talos are the only true resilient targets. They both have a 3+ save, but the Talos has T7. You need 6 Plasma shots at BS3 to cause a single wound to a Talos. Instead of having all your FK suits focus on the Talos it would take an Ionhead a turn or two, and it can accomplish this at range. Killing an incubi retinue at range reveals the main weakness of the shadow field - quantity of fire.

Ofcourse, if the DE player doesn't take either, then the ionhead is as good as useless. Which is why I like the Railhead, and the ability to choose between solidshot and submunition.

I have no solid experience against necrons (1 battle, me with 60 FW, 3-5 years ago), but wouldn't it still be best to take a railhead or a few broadsides, incase the Necron player brings a monolith or a T5 lord without a res orb?

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#28 » Sep 13 2006 09:13

You need IHs against Necrons to pwn his destroyers, its out best weapon against them. 2 IHs and 2 BASS is perfect against Necrons.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Flashman
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#29 » Sep 13 2006 01:55

Mephet'ran wrote:Eldar also die in droves to the subs blast. I actually feel guilty when placing it on them (note I don't feel guilting about placing Defiler blasts on marines.

LOL.... does anyone ever feel guilty killing Marines? :D
#43 formally known as El' & yes I still come here

Shas'O Elan Co'T Kunas
Shas

Post#30 » Sep 13 2006 04:33

Last wednesday i was fighting marines and guard in a threes up, which quickly turned into a two on one. (me being the one) :( :( :(

Still i was in and playing diplomacy had failed so i moved on to negotiating with extreme prejudice. I pulled FoF on two marine squads in the same turn with two different squads and ... they ran away (for a bit) :eek: :biggrin: :::( . then later on when the piranhas surrounded his landraider with that very expensive terminator assault squad and his force commander inside and then blew it up on the last fusion blaster shot, i very nearly emptied my bladder with laughter and i'm sure he emptied his bowels... :eek: :biggrin: :::( as the marines could not escape.

i annihilated the marines but the guard picked me off.

So in answer to that question... ummmm... no :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Shas'O Elan Co'T Kunas
(Strong but Agile)

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Sep 13 2006 05:47

El'Flashman wrote:LOL.... does anyone ever feel guilty killing Marines? :D

I should think not - massacring Space Marines is an honour to be savoured and repeated as often as possible. Games Workshop put them there for Xenos to hate. I say we oblige them. :)
Firestorm - Shoot lots and watch what drops...

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#32 » Sep 13 2006 09:40

I certainly didn't feel sorry when my rail submunition wounded TEN CSM Korne Beserkers & Lord. And it became simply hilarious when he rolled ONE 3+ save ....

Taipan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Sep 13 2006 10:49

look, all im saying is that with the railhead, you are primarily using its single solid shot for anti-tank work. The sub-munition is to make it and the Ionhead comparable in the anti-infantry/MeQ area.

Look, submunition is good, but it isn't the primary reason we take a whole Railhead. However, the Ionhead has only one task it needs to perform; light vehicles/heavy infantry.
Strike hard, strike fast.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#34 » Sep 13 2006 11:53

Look, submunition is good, but it isn't the primary reason we take a whole Railhead. However, the Ionhead has only one task it needs to perform; light vehicles/heavy infantry.

Don't you get it ? Thats exactly why the RH is superior, because it can take on a broader range of targets very effectively, while the IH can only take on 3+ saves and light vehicles.
And if you think about it, the IH will kill roughly 2 marines with its Ion Cannon, to kill the same number the RH would need to get just over 6 marines under the blast, I'd say thats pretty easy to do.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Protonic
Shas

Post#35 » Sep 13 2006 11:54

Light vehicles can easily be taken care of by FK, much cheaper than an ionhead aswell. That only leaves medium infantry (IMO, heavy is 2+, medium is 3+, light 4+ or worse) for the ionhead to deal with. What happens if an enemy has no medium infantry? or if most of his units have 2+ or no armour? The railhead has the advantage that even if the enemy takes only troops or only heavy armour - it can deal with it.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#36 » Sep 14 2006 12:22

Protonic wrote:Light vehicles can easily be taken care of by FK, much cheaper than an ionhead aswell. That only leaves medium infantry (IMO, heavy is 2+, medium is 3+, light 4+ or worse) for the ionhead to deal with. What happens if an enemy has no medium infantry? or if most of his units have 2+ or no armour? The railhead has the advantage that even if the enemy takes only troops or only heavy armour - it can deal with it.

And I'd be as bold as to claim that Crisis are as efficient at killing Medium (MEq) infantry as the IH is, except that Crisis are a lot more survivable.

Really the only niche where the IH exceeds everything else is targetting high T, 3+ save models. However, fireknife and RHs can deal with them as well, it takes longer, but they can do it. And often do we face such units ? IMO not often enough to warrant taking an IH over a RH (note the Wraithlord's T is so high that even the IH is no longer better than the RH).
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Return to “Archival Datacore”