Dropping deuces on Daemonhunters!

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
shaggydog
Shas

Post#19 » Nov 16 2006 08:47

I love having firefights between ionheads and purgation squads :evil:
It doesn't matter so long as you have fun

Or'es Kauyon
Shas

Post#20 » Nov 16 2006 10:33

Just thought I'd point out that GKs aren't totally anti-armorless without Dreads. You can give Justicars melta-bombs and DS to stick a tank or two if you get lucky. Plus, if he takes Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, then he's likely to have a couple of melta weapons in there, too.

My 2 cents
Kauyon
No plan survives contact with the Tau :evil:

Holtzmann
Fio

Post#21 » Nov 16 2006 10:38

But if he has to come that close to use his Anti-Armour, wouldn't it take away the benefit of the Shroud and leave him pretty much open to be blasted by an Ionhead (or two, if you move the other one near to give some support)?
I am the poster formerly known as Omega2.

Or'es Kauyon
Shas

Post#22 » Nov 16 2006 11:07

If you rush a ST squad in with a rhino and unload with the meltas then you might have a shot at busting the tank. With the DSing GKs, its a lot riskier, and yes, they are a lot more likely to cooked by the Ionhead. I wasn't saying that GKs are a better at tank busting than the Dread, just that the option is there.

I wouldn't likely use GKs as tankhunters first anyhow. I'd get them into combat and use the meltabombs if the opportunity arose. They're very cheap (the meltabombs), so it won't hurt you (even in a GK army, small as they are) to take them.

Kauyon

JGrimm
Shas

Post#23 » Nov 17 2006 12:48

I actually do the ST-squad-in-rhino-trick to make up for my lack of anti-tank punch. Usually I'll - as crazy and insane as this is - take an elite CC inquisitor (w/Thunderhammer and at least power armor) and stuff 'em in a ST squad, giving the veteran a thunderhammer/power armor and the squad a melta and a flamer.

Yes, it's bloody expensive, but not as bad as you'd think.

Stick the whole thing in a rhino, and merrily charge forward. Pop the hatch and shoot the melta to drop tanks where I can; when I get 'em close, blow the doors and charge into close combat, prefacing it with a flamer and melta shot.

It's actually surprisingly effective, if a bit of a glass cannon.

(add 3x Death Cults and an Eversor, and I usually cover my Knights long enough to get 'em deep struck and into combat. :) It works out.)

Just know that a pure GK force is actually one of the hardest armies to /win/ with in 40k. They have glaring and intentional holes; the DH codex is a very flavorful one, but it's really an appendix to the Space Marine and IG codecies. If someone plays pure GK, they /can/ win, but it's not at all easy.
-Az/JGrimm

Troutmonkey
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Nov 17 2006 05:44

Or'es Kauyon wrote:Just thought I'd point out that GKs aren't totally anti-armorless without Dreads. You can give Justicars melta-bombs and DS to stick a tank or two if you get lucky. Plus, if he takes Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, then he's likely to have a couple of melta weapons in there, too.

My 2 cents
Kauyon

Flettchete dischargers (I know I spelt it wrong)
www.alice40k.tripod.com
Troutmonkey on LIVE

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#25 » Nov 17 2006 06:16

keep in mind that if those guys DS, they won't be able to grenade that tank. Tank rolls away 12 inches during its movement phase and... you lose.

Or'es Kauyon
Shas

Post#26 » Nov 17 2006 06:33

Or'es Kauyon wrote:If you rush a ST squad in with a rhino and unload with the meltas then you might have a shot at busting the tank. With the DSing GKs, its a lot riskier, and yes, they are a lot more likely to cooked by the Ionhead. I wasn't saying that GKs are a better at tank busting than the Dread, just that the option is there.

I wouldn't likely use GKs as tankhunters first anyhow. I'd get them into combat and use the meltabombs if the opportunity arose. They're very cheap (the meltabombs), so it won't hurt you (even in a GK army, small as they are) to take them.

Kauyon

To repeat myself, I'm not advocating GKs as the first line tank busters in the army. Dreads and Rhino mounted STs are the way to go imo.

Kauyon

Shadow Fox
Shas

Post#27 » Nov 17 2006 06:46

Yeah... Just as a clarification, since I haven't seen anyone correct it, Night Fight is 2d6x3. I don't have the rulebook on me right now, but I can prove it through simple math...

On 2d6, you have the greatest chance of getting a 7 (1/6 chance, if I remember correctly), which is how I look at Leadership rolls (7 or more provides the most likely chance of getting a successful roll). That also means that you're most likely to roll a 7, which is also the average roll.

Now, as said, the average range in Night Fight is 21". Since it's 2d6x3, I divide 21" by 3, and you get 7".

... Just clarifying...

The Shrouding is really annoying. I was playing in my local GW's Mega Battle, and my closest enemy were the Troop and HQ choices of a Grey Knights army. I asked him if, like Stealth Suits, I could ignore them and fire at the next closest target, but apparently I couldn't (I wanted to shoot at a squad of Blood Angels, who took out a Crisis Bodyguard in the first turn... That really sucked...)...

Edit:
Would Acute Senses be helpful against the Shrouding? If I remember correctly, it allows you to reroll the distance, but you have to keep the second roll... If I am correct, can it be used against the Shrouding?
When in doubt, Deep Strike.

shaselbob
Shas

Post#28 » Nov 26 2006 09:35

at my local shop one of the boards had a large city setup and all the others had people at them. It was a three way game. i sadly got stuck int hte middle :sad: so we start and seeing how i didn't know city fight rules(6 inches to be unseen) my seemingly invincible suits got eaten alive by a missle launcher and a dreadnought who turned around the corner. Them short range marines just ran amock. After turn one i couldn't recover and at best managed to retreat with 200pts (500pt game) of suits into a corner. It seems to me that A demon h. army would fight perfectly on a city like field. Most of the fighting is short to medium range,lots of close combat.I don't know. just be wary. :::(
anything can be removed by the application of railguns

Kamandi
Shas

Post#29 » Nov 26 2006 09:51

Would Acute Senses be helpful against the Shrouding? If I remember correctly, it allows you to reroll the distance, but you have to keep the second roll... If I am correct, can it be used against the Shrouding?

Nope. There was a discusion on this very topic a little while ago. Acute Senses only helps you with Night Fighting rules/effects, not with rules or effects that are similar to Night Fighting.

Return to “Archival Datacore”