ATT Tactical Advancement Challenge

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

ATT Tactical Advancement Challenge

Post#1 » Oct 09 2007 12:50

Welcome to the ATT Tactical Advancement Challenge!

The purpose of the ATTTAC is to spur creative thought and provide a forum for sharing new ideas with the goal of advancing gameplay for the Tau community. Each ATTTAC will present a unit or combination of units and challenge the community to come up with original and creative tactics for specific situations. All submissions will be made available for everyone to read and learn from.

ATTTAC submissions should describe stand-alone tactics. We're not looking for a complete article on how to use the chosen unit, deployment, wargear options, etc. Instead, try to come up with a one or two turn "gimmick" you can pull with the unit that can be of benefit in a particular situation or against a particular opponent. Some excellent examples of submissions that would do well in the ATTTAC are the Fish of Fury, the Feeding Frenzy, and the Ninja'O; catchy nicknames aren't required but can only improve your chances! It's perfectly acceptable to submit a tactic that is only appropriate against a specific opponent or only with a specific terrain feature, or only in a certain mission or game type (Cities of Death or Apocalypse for example). Entries will be graded on utility and cleverness. Submitted tactics may involve the participation of other nearby (Codex legal) units, but they should focus primarily on the unit being discussed.

Specific submission details for the ATTTAC are as follows:

- Entries should be submitted to T0nkaTruckDriver by PM.
- Entries must be submitted by the indicated deadline.
- The creation of graphics that help convey your idea is encouraged but not required.
- The use of statistics and math-hammer to support assertions of effectiveness is encouraged.
- As always, do your best to use correct spelling and punctuation.

Motivated by Ravenscraig's flippant dismissal of them here (;)), our first ATTTAC will feature those amazing aerobatic auxilia, the Vespid Stingwings. Hopefully we can convince him of the error of his ways!

Feel free to post questions about the ATTTAC here in this thread. Good luck and get those thinking caps on!

P.S. I hope you know I'm just teasin' ya RS :P

Links

[ATTTAC #1 Submissions] Vespid Stingwings
Last edited by T0nkaTruckDriver on Jan 09 2008 12:37, edited 4 times in total.

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#2 » Oct 25 2007 09:14

One more day folks, get those submissions in!

israfel
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 07 2007 12:10

What ever became of this?

Atomic
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 07 2007 01:05

Whoops - I only just noticed it now... :fear:
It's deep struck, dammit!

Daemonic-Force
Fio

Post#5 » Nov 07 2007 04:07

Was interested in finding out about all the strategies - maybe no-one submitted any? ;)

Vior'la Mont'yon
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 11 2007 09:43

The possible lack of strategies is kinda disconcerting. I would have made an entry but my tactics for Vespids are pretty limited. If there is another competitition I know that there'll be at least one entry from me. (depending on the subject)
A battle suit for every occasion!

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#7 » Jan 09 2008 12:06

Due to a serious knock on the noggin courtesy of Real Life, I've not had a chance to update the ATTTAC with the work submitted by Revrandom and Israfel until now. I sincerely apologize for the delay and thank these contributors for their efforts! Keep an eye out for ATTTAC #2 shortly; hopefully we'll get a stronger response the second time around.

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: ATT Tactical Advancement Challenge

Post#8 » Jun 18 2008 09:24

Announcing ATTTAC #2: Devilfish Troop Carrier

With 5th ed on the horizon, let's get things started with what will possibly be the single most tactical model on the table; the Devilfish Troop Carrier. Capable of being modeled either low to the ground (to block LoS completely) or high in the air (to confer a 4+ cover save to troops deploying out the rear hatch), able to provide Taxi service to Firewarriors, Pathfinders, Kroot, or Sniper Teams, and with a variety of wargear options that can make them fast, durable and/or deadly, the Devilfish will offer clever Tau commanders an amazingly versatile tool for bringing the Greater Good to the enemies of the Empire.

Refer to the ATTTAC summary for more details about general submission guidelines. In order to give folks time to acquire and digest the 5th ed rules (and hopefully a practice game or two), the deadline for entries will be just over a month away on July 21st, one week after the release of 5th edition.

I'll be putting together a sample submission over the next few days as an example; watch this space!

Absintheminded
Shas

Post#9 » Jun 21 2008 12:25

It may seem like a silly question, but can we only submit one tactic?

TTD: Nope, put together as many as you like! It's being presented in "competition" format, but really it's just a way to get folks thinking about units in different ways and spur creative thought and discussion.
Tau Physician: Patient Hunter

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#10 » Jun 22 2008 08:24

I've posted a sample ATTTAC submission in the Upper Concourse here.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 30 2008 06:57

So what happened to this?
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#12 » Jul 30 2008 11:39

Nobody sent in any submissions. Kinda bummed actually.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#13 » Jul 30 2008 11:43

Well, to be fair, it can be kind of hard to come up with tacticas on demand, especially on very narrow subjects. For instance, now that 5th edition has rolled around, I'm looking into trying out some Vespid - but the time for that challenge is past. I'm not saying that I'll withhold any knowledge I glean about the Vespid because there isn't a challenge, but the creation of tacticas rarely moves at a predictable pace.

It's a good idea, and it is a fun challenge, but you can't expect entries and deadlines in the same ways as you could, say, a painting challenge.
++TFTD: He who promises peace, promises damnation.++

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#14 » Jul 31 2008 08:05

Elliott wrote:It's a good idea, and it is a fun challenge, but you can't expect entries and deadlines in the same ways as you could, say, a painting challenge.

This is what I'm realizing. It seems the Tactical Decision Games work better as a format for a tactics challenge. No big deal, we're figuring these things out as we go.

Xeones
Shas

Post#15 » Jul 31 2008 09:11

I've got an idea to run by you which seems to be the sort of thing you are/were looking for, but is it worth explaining since the deadline has passed? If so, should I PM you or shall I just post it here?
SPRUE FOR THE SPRUE GOD!!!

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#16 » Jul 31 2008 09:18

PM would be best, probably (yes, I know I'm answering for T0nka!). That way your idea could be discussed more easily without taking up forum time for you.

E.

Huru MorDae
Shas

Post#17 » Nov 29 2010 12:52

Instead on working on already well covered fundamental tactics, why not offer up tactics to handle fundamental, yet difficult, enemy units. For example like how to deal with a BA deep strike army? I think most players are discouraged to "Rewrite" already known tactics. You can only remake the mouse trap many times as you like but it is still a mouse trap in the end.

Shas'la Huru MorDae, this was a Necropost, I'll lock this thread for now, until decided otherwise

- Gue'vre Che Gue'vesa
Manta spam, its the future.
The Tau on The Attack
Manta

Return to “Archival Datacore”