Pathfinders... Not worth thier points?? What do you think

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Justyn_Lyons
Shas

Shield drones

Post#73 » Apr 10 2006 04:38

While I agree it doesn't dramatically improve survivability giving a PF Shas'ui some shield drones does keep it alive a little longer (or just drones to soak up hits), but when it comes to h2h I agree there really is nothing that helps keep the Tau alive, I mean little things yeah, but we die in h2h easy. Perhaps being able to take two more hits never has helped you (or more if the shield drones survive), it has helped me though, so I wouldn't call it 'crap' even if it isn't a huge help.

As an after thought though I did want to say that this topic has pretty much been beaten to death :) .
Probability is ideal, your dice may vary...

Flashman
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#74 » Apr 10 2006 05:18

Without you telling me exactly what your taking, I'll assume your taking a Ui', bonding them, adding drones and as many toys as you can. All in my opinion have little value. Drones won't do much for increasing your survivabilty, a Ui's only good for increasing your chances of making your Target priority rolls, but why not take a command node? Bonding.... waste of time for such a cheap unit and grenades. Hmm maybe the EMPs would be interesting, but nah otherwise.

Please don't take it personally Justin because I used to be just like you. I would overload on all the trimmings; railrifles, Ui, drones, grenades, seeker missiles, but I asked myself something. Why am I am I taking Pathfinders? Er.... the markerlights. Adding all the trimmings is fine if you've got points to spare, but if you want to be economical. Save them.

Finally I'd just like to add/ask Mephet' something. I just read that heavy weapons/assault move thread. If you couldn't move in the assault phase; how would that affect your Stealth markers effectiveness? And would you still choose a Stealth marker team if you couldn't move them in the assault phase?
#43 formally known as El' & yes I still come here

P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Keep it friendly, folks.

Post#75 » Apr 10 2006 05:43

Please avoid phrases like "I'm sorry but this statement is just a whole load of crap." It doesn't contribute anything to a discussion but hard feelings. Your position was strong enough without it.

Justyn_Lyons
Shas

No Frills here

Post#76 » Apr 10 2006 06:11

Without you telling me exactly what your taking, I'll assume your taking a Ui', bonding them, adding drones and as many toys as you can. All in my opinion have little value. Drones won't do much for increasing your survivabilty, a Ui's only good for increasing your chances of making your Target priority rolls, but why not take a command node? Bonding.... waste of time for such a cheap unit and grenades. Hmm maybe the EMPs would be interesting, but nah otherwise.

Not sure why I'd take it personally? But uh, bad news, Taking an 7 Tau unit, no RR, +Shas'ui w/ 2 SD, DF w/ MT and DL comes to 231 pts, I'm not sure where these 'extra frills' are that you are convinced are running up my point when I say a good PF team cost around 220, even without the SD that's still 201. And just for the record if I've been guilty of anything in games it's not taking enough toys ;) .
Probability is ideal, your dice may vary...

Flashman
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#77 » Apr 10 2006 06:50

El'Flashman wrote:I'm sorry but this statement is just a whole load of baby poo :biggrin:.

Consider it edited...! Oh and Justin, I just don't see much benifit in making a non-scoring unit any more expensive unless it benifits the unit it's attached to ala, FoF and Firewarriors. The three shots from a Devilfish are just not needed by the Pathfinders who should be well back anyway. Ho-hum.
#43 formally known as El' & yes I still come here

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#78 » Apr 10 2006 11:26

Finally I'd just like to add/ask Mephet' something. I just read that heavy weapons/assault move thread. If you couldn't move in the assault phase; how would that affect your Stealth markers effectiveness? And would you still choose a Stealth marker team if you couldn't move them in the assault phase?

I'd have to think about it. My main reason for taking SS ML team is for the mobility as you all know. And even without their 6" assault move they are still more mobile than PFs. However, in 1750pts (see my AL I still have a HS slot open, so I might drop them for a Skyray. In fact that is very good idea. *Rushes off to find a pen, paper and calculator*.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

Upgrade
Shas

Post#79 » Apr 13 2006 08:50

wow looks like I really opened up a can of beans here. I think I will still give PFs a chance but the SSML team is looking like a very strong elite choice.
Tau over 100 wins / 8 losses / 0 ties

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#80 » Apr 13 2006 09:31

excellent, glad we could be of service Upgrade!

Do let us know how they perform for you and if you come up with some new ways to use them!

And at that I call this one closed while we re-arm for another try in the near future :D

kai

Return to “Archival Datacore”