True nature of the ethereals.

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Aun'Samadhi
Shas

Post#19 » Apr 14 2006 04:53

Where is all this fluff you guys are reading from? I am highly interested in all of this. I know nothing of the old ones [just what I remember about Lizardmen and Slann and all that].

Is it online somewhere?
:nice:
~Aun'Samadhi

Maloink
Shas

Post#20 » Apr 14 2006 06:23

There's a lot of reference to the Old Ones, but the source for most of it comes from the Necron Codex...it details, roughly, the story of the creation of the WH40K galaxy....

allegedly.

-M
Tau....the anti-Evian

The Mighty Qu'in
Por

Post#21 » Apr 15 2006 11:25

Wiki it, all the infos there.

Stonefox
Shas

Post#22 » Apr 15 2006 06:48

The Mighty Qu'in wrote:Wiki it, all the infos there.

I hate wiki. The very idea of it is preposterous to me. The ability of anyone to create any source of "info" is idiotic. Now, the essence of the idea, to create a site where equilibrium through anarchy is the goal, is an honorable one. However, when there is a chance for a crapshoot between correct and incorrect info and the fact that info is mostly absorbed during the first reading, it would be painful to have to relearn facts.

The very idea of anarchy, even for the purpose of equilibrium and truth through it, is laughable.

On-topic: So, yeah. The mysterious entrance of the ethereals is perhaps evidence for introduction at a later date. The other possibility might be the lack of contact with the subspecies from other tau. Presentation of a purpose in the story, the prevention of the Mont'au, might be more representative and symbolic rather than factual. Considering the source of information, a legend told amongst a non-scientific (at the time) community and the author's intention of a romanticized story, the evidence submitted is suspect.
My hamham plays warhams. WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAM

shasolenzabi
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#23 » Apr 15 2006 07:18

[[[ Okay guys, based on my memory of the old fluff of the "Old Ones", and the updated stuff I have read in the recent times, the idea that the Eldar helped the Tau is a Human Inquisitor's opinion based on what they found, but remember, the Imperium is about as scientifically knowledgable as the folks were just before the rennaisance! Evidence points to the last few of the Old Ones, but the Imperium would hardly know much of anything like that existed, let alone their abilities! Old Ones had many powers, and abilities that make them more the culprits in making the Tau and the Ethereals. Of course, at the end of Xenology, it was all a scam to get the Imperium to get info on the aliens for the Necrons! By now, the Necrons may realize Old Ones exist still. Where they are hiding is something for the 'Crons to discover, or better yet, NOT!
Old Ones; Could manipulate and control the Warp
Made new lifeforms, and uplifted existing one with advanced genetic ability
Liked a happy, cooperative universe

Eldar; Could use the Warp, But no where near the levels of the Old Ones
Have never been evidenced to do genetic manipulation.
More into self survival than messing with other races, unless it is in their way!

Necrons; Rooted in the material universe
CAN'T use the warp
Can only meddle with minor genetic changes of already existing stocks(Pariah gene)
Want to feast on all in the Universe(C'Tan actually want this)

But the Inquisitor in Xenology is not a great source for where the Ethereals come from as he is in the words of the Eldar, "An ignorant Mon-Keigh"

Maybe a Fio-Caste-Biologist would learn more, but I don't see them even wanting to desecrate the body of an Ethereal!

My vote is the Old Ones have made a move in making the Tau as a last bid since they are obviously not strong enough at this time.

Maloink
Shas

Post#24 » Apr 15 2006 07:21

I would also do a search in the Lexicanum...

It's pretty loaded with info on the whole Necron/C'tan/Old Ones thing...

-M
Tau....the anti-Evian

Stonefox
Shas

Post#25 » Apr 15 2006 11:12

shasolenzabi wrote:but remember, the Imperium is about as scientifically knowledgable as the folks were just before the rennaisance!

Hey! The romans and greeks were quite scientifically capable people! I bid you to take that back and flat-out say they were as scientifically knowledgable as cavemen. However, that is also wrong since they somehow found the wheel and the fire and I'm afraid cavemen will hate me like in the Geico commercials.

shasolenzabi
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#26 » Apr 16 2006 02:52

[[[ EVA, I was making mention of the Medieval Europeans who still lived a life steeped in superstition, and fear of almost everything, which is exactly the way GW made the Imperium!!!

Stonefox
Shas

Post#27 » Apr 16 2006 04:04

shasolenzabi wrote:[[[ EVA, I was making mention of the Medieval Europeans who still lived a life steeped in superstition, and fear of almost everything, which is exactly the way GW made the Imperium!!!

Pfft, quit beating around the bush. Apologize and say you're sorry. Anyway, while the Dark Ages was a pretty grim time for europeans (Japanese were having the time of their lives :eek: ) I do respect the science of alchemy that brought forth the current version of chemistry. Now if only alchemy was real and we could do fantastic stuff with it... :/

I'm a big proponent of sticking with established canon on all forms of fictional works (and I take a fancy in christian canon and mysticism - come on, who doesn't?). In short, a star wars nerd. How much of the old RT/2ed stories are still considered canon anyway?

shasolenzabi
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#28 » Apr 16 2006 04:45

[Pfft, quit beating around the bush. Apologize and say you're sorry.]

[[[ Never! I deny nothing! :neutral: Yes, if Alchemy were like it was in FMA, what a world it would be! but also with it's own problems. Much iof the RT/2ed stuff is still rewritten and updated to match the newer look of things. Especially since our beloved Tau have only been around since 2001. Space Crusade had Chaos Androids(Machines with Daemons put in them to serve their Gods for any number of failures!) Later, in 2nd ed, they became Necron Raiders, Updated them just before 3rd ed with Immortals and Destroyers, (Damn the older destroyers were big!) But they were cluncky looking, latest 'crons are so streamlined and smooth, Reminds of the evolution of the Cybermen! Now if we could have an Inquisitor with a police callbox, and some companions..................................... :D

[/quote]

Return to “Archival Datacore”