Transporting bigger suits

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Cgreeves
Shas

Transporting bigger suits

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 02:54

Hi guys.

Thanks to all for being part of such a wonderful community.

I’m just wondering how we all transport our models to games (esp bigger models)

I love the idea of KR multicase foam. But they seem to not have updated their tau line since the riptide. I now have a stormsurge and 2 ghostkeels and I’m spilling out of my current case.

Show me your cases and transport/storage idea if you can :) I hate that I’m spending so much time painting etc and then risking damaging things in transit.

P.S. I do magnetise weapons and bigger models (my stormsurge Is magnetised at the waist.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Re: Transporting bigger suits

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 03:58

Till now I don´t have the problem of transporting the bigger suits, cause I own none.
Hopefully this will change after codex release :D

But to transport my army I use a tool box. Was far cheaper than the suitcases you can buy at GW.
There are a lot of variations and so you can buy the one most fitting for your cadre.

Mine has a "upper deck" for all the infantry and a "lower deck" for bigger stuff.
(My little fat 20-bucks-Manta :P )

With a hot-melt gun it is easy to make right sized compartments for the suits.

No damage till now, transporting 4x tanks, 2x gunrigs, 10x crisis, lot of infantry.

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 16 2018 11:15

Do you use plastic add and foam to create compartments?

Any chance I can see a pic?

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 16 2018 05:47

I am using cardboard, the rolls of toilet paper and little cups out of plastic.
You can get very creative. :D

Sounds quite strange, I know.
I am going to post pictures, when I am home tomorrow. :fear:

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 16 2018 09:20

I am using ramen boxes with plastic bags as padding foreach of my stormsurges(two). Well one box has medium sized bubble bubblewrap sheet folded in half in half. I store my magentised big cannons in between the bubblewrap fold. It works for me for now until I get a case during tax time. So I will be eager to see what people reccommend.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 16 2018 11:01

You could do the little metal tool box idea and glue some magnets on the bottom. Would keep them from sliding around during transport unless you’re HALO jumping or something lol

gunrock
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 17 2018 01:11

I have all of my bases magnetized and weighted which makes them really convenient to store. With the magnet bases I canmount them on 12 and 6 inch steel rulers and the rulers to a sheet of tin glued to a thin piece of plywood. I actually totally love this setup as it works great for keeping track of infantry. a 12 inch ruler fits 12 infantry or two squads of 5 and a fire blade. You can also get rulers that are slightly wider then an inch which work great for drones which have a slightly wider base. On six inch rulers you can fit 5 drones, 2 commanders with drones, a stealtheam with drones, 3 XV-8 or a minimum squad. To mount the rulers you can buy ten foot rolls of 1 inch thick magnetic tape for about 6 dollars at the hardware store, which can also be uses to magnetize infantry. If you search around, you can also get 1 inch adhesive magnetic rounds which fit bases perfectly and saves you some cutting. Stick some PVA glue in the bottom, drop a nickel in the base, and an adhesive magnetic round on the bottom and your good to go. It looks very clean.

I find magnetizing reduces a lot of the handling stress on models as they don't constantly rub against foam padded cases and you can move the whole squad without picking up each model. I haven't tried playing with them this way yet, but I imagine most people wouldn't have a problem with it. It makes easy to move a whole squad in perfect regimental formation, gauge distance, and saves moving time. You can also perfectly calculate turning a who squad which is nice. In classic war hammer it's pretty common for people to use 'regiment trays' which serve a similar function. Right now, the cadre hangs out in a converted wine crate with slots for the plywood panels,and some shelves and some other gaming supplies. When I figure out how much space I need I'll make them a nice hardwood case.

I'll try to post pictures if anyone's interested.

Oh, sorry to keep editing: This trick also works great with steel toolboxes.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 18 2018 03:59

Shas'O Ora wrote:Pictures:

While that's creative and cool and all, I'm not sure I'd want to store my painted minis like that, lookslike there would be a lot of chipping and falling around together in there, especially on the top layer.

gunrock wrote:I'll try to post pictures if anyone's interested.

I'd be very interested in seeing, currently my best option is a KR case with a couple of the broadside/riptide foam blocks and hoping a y'vahra would fit in one.

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 18 2018 04:29

PeeJ wrote:I'd be very interested in seeing, currently my best option is a KR case with a couple of the broadside/riptide foam blocks and hoping a y'vahra would fit in one

I'm Going to expand on this idea. I have ordered two long toolboxes and some foam. My idea is I'm going to cut the foam and back it and then separate the bottom layer and pad it so that my bigger suits and tanks have somewhere to go.

Will post some examples etc when I get started.

Return to “Common Workbench”