(BFG) Tau fleet- The Great White (and Tan) Fleet

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Re: (BFG) Tau fleet

Post#31 » Jan 12 2011 02:41

Arise my thread, arise.

Hello Sherpa, thank you for your kind words. As a moody self-critical teenager, they do wonders for my self-esteem. :D

The problem is indeed a case of the plastic not being strong enough. I will have to look into metal rods.

Now then, time for an update!

The next wave of ships just arrived yesterday. First up a group of Orca-class gunships:

Image Image Image

Next is a Merchant class. Here is the retro-cool packaging it came in:

Image Image

And an exploded view:

Unfortunately I was unable to get good close-ups of the individual components, so there are no images of them, just a group shot.

Now, I have two big problems with my Merchant. The first is that last night I discovered, to my horror, that my superglue had died and is now nought but a gelatinous glob of, erm...something. The other, much bigger problem, is that the core piece of the Merchant has been badly cast, and the front section is somewhat twisted. As it is a metal component, I am somewhat unsure of what to do about it, and it is too thick for my standard procedure for dealing with such distortions. If any of the finely honed minds here have any suggestions, I'm all ears. However, remember that I am only an adolescent male, and my resources are very limited.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Post#32 » Jan 12 2011 04:29

Contact GW and tell them about the miscast. Chances are you'll get a new model to replace it.

E.

catland88
Shas

Post#33 » Jan 12 2011 08:22

...And THAT is why I'm scared to start BFG. It's all metal, aaa :-(
GW's pics really don't do the ships justice, though. I might order some now.
Lurk before you post.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#34 » Jan 12 2011 12:34

catland88 wrote:...And THAT is why I'm scared to start BFG. It's all metal, aaa :-(

Actually, many of the larger ships are plastic-like my Chaos Cruisers.

Kyre
Kor

Post#35 » Jan 12 2011 10:41

And, at least from what I've seen and been told(thanks to people at my local HobbyTown USA), the ForgeWorld models are resin, as with all their other stuff.
Last edited by Kyre on Jan 26 2012 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Peace sells...
But who's buyin'?

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#36 » Jan 13 2011 01:03

Correct, the forgeworld BFG line is all resin.

Hooray, I might have convinced someone to get into BFG. Funnily enough though, I myself rather like GW's pics of them.

Another update soon people.
Naked Metal

Peregrine
Kor

Post#37 » Jan 13 2011 01:26

Kakapo42 wrote:Correct, the forgeworld BFG line is all resin.

Hilariously, this actually makes the ForgeWorld models cheaper than the GW ones. And, since they're far better both in looks (IMO) and in rules, there's really no reason to buy the old metal ones.

Kakapo42, have you looked at the stats for the new Tau ships in IA3? If not, you may revise your fleet list once you see them.

catland88
Shas

Post#38 » Jan 13 2011 09:13

Cheaper they may be, but they're too sensible to trust Paypal and I don't have a credit card.
Lurk before you post.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre

Post#39 » Jan 17 2011 05:20

Hello Peregrine, nice of you to drop by.

I own a copy of IA3 and have indeed looked at the stats for forgeworld's line. I was very tempted to purchase them instead. But deep down I myself prefer the GW ships. A large part of it is that I prefer their 'floating city' aesthetic, but they also resonate with me. Maybe it's because when I was younger I was exposed to a lot of older sci-fi artwork, and some of my happiest childhood memories were looking through my dad's copy of Mehanismo, maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of Firefly so I'm drawn to the idea of old but trusty transport ships, or maybe it's because as a teenager I subconsciously see purchasing a GW Tau fleet as a way to rebel against mainstream society, but for whatever the reason, the GW line appeals to me more than forgeworld's. To each their own I guess.

My apologies if that accidentally became a screed and I have caused offence, that was not my intention in the least.

Catland88, go for whatever fleet or faction you like the most. It is ultimately your decision and yours alone to make.

And in other news, I have just sent GW an email concerning my misfortunes with the Merchant. Here goes nothing...

Update is imminent people, don't touch that dial. Or keyboard/mouse, as the case may be.
Naked Metal

ShadowSword
Shas

Post#40 » Jan 17 2011 11:25

Yeah, catland, get what ever fleet you want. Me, I have a SM fleet painted in the colors of my future chapter, the Iron Dragons.

I would personally recommend go Imperial first so you can get used to using ships as they are the easiest to use. Then you can brach out from there.
Fight with courage and fire.

Return to “Common Workbench”