Nal'da Enclave (7/26/17: Metal Tau Rising: Revengeance Force Squad Go)

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (11/20: Shas'el Tal'den WIP)

Post#37 » Nov 20 2012 03:03

Classified communications from Shas'o Nal'da Orpheus Hangar to Shas'el Nal'da Tal'den wrote:"Tal'den, old friend, I trust you with much, and such trust has always been firmly founded in the fact that, even if I may not agree with it, you do what is right. Your seemingly inherent ability to discern facts from fabrications are why I must ask a favor of you; Sororitas activity has spike recently near the borders of the Empire nearest us, and I've received confirmed intelligence that there is a small Cadre of our brothers whom are attempting to turn a warband of the Thousand Sons to our cause, as well as activity from the Grey Knights, Necrontyr, Orks,and even other warbands of Chaos Marines. I ask you to lead an expedition and learn what you can; see if the Thousand Sons can truly be swayed, what direction the Orks are taking their fighting, and what the agendas of the other races here are. War is coming, that is no secret; we simply must ensure that there are more on our side than our aggressors'."

So I recently traded off the Dark Angels half of my Dark Vengeance set to a local gamer, and got a sealed Broadside and Battlesuit! I opened the broadside first, but decided that I'd rather wait for new plastics than messing with more metal parts. Using memory and my own innovation, I dove in and began work on the first of the new XV8s for my Cadre! This will likely be a Shas'el or a Shas'vre, and the gear isn't set in stone quite yet. I've decided that, seeing as he's part of the Nal'da Sept, he will carry a combat weapon, having received personal training from Oorpheus (and possibly from the Shadow Dragons as well). If I can find a proper blade, I may make it an axe; I'm open to suggestions, though!

Or'es
Shas

Post#38 » Nov 20 2012 06:53

Firstly, I would love to say what fantastic models you have there! Truly an inspiration to us all.

Secondly, I personally favor the green colour scheme, don't see many green armies out there. (Might have to do one myself...)

Thirdly, there probably is one already, I just can't seem to find one, can you point me in the direction of a tutorial of how to make the XV8 with the altered jet-pack? I've seen them a couple of times and tried it once but ended up ruining my model :::(

Fourthly, I would love to say what fantastic models you have there! Truly an inspiration to us all. :D
Expect the worst. Prepare to win.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#39 » Nov 21 2012 07:23

I'm glad you like my stuff! :biggrin: It's been nice working on a Tau model again after so long, I tell you what! Speaking of which, I did a little more work...

Unfortunately, I don't have a link; you're gonna have to ask someone else or try searching around the forums. :sad: If I weren't so drowsy and out-of-it thanks to my meds, I'd try explaining it. :P

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (11/25: Shas'el Tal'den WIP)

Post#40 » Nov 25 2012 04:35

The results of an evening of greenstuffing, liquid greenstuffing, supergluing, liquid greenstuffing, cutting, liquid greenstuffing, and liquid greenstuffing, I've come to a more streamlined upper body/jet pack setup. What do you all think? Was the work worth it?

Or'es
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (11/25: Shas'el Tal'den WIP)

Post#41 » Nov 25 2012 09:18

No problem, I hope you're ok. Does this conversion have a name?

The green stuff and latest work look really good too.
Expect the worst. Prepare to win.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (12/18: Shas'el Tal'den Update)

Post#42 » Dec 18 2012 01:53

Been busy the past couple hours, tidying up white, washes, cleaning up stains from said washes on the white, sponging on battle damage...and still a good deal of work to go! Kinda drowsy, so not much else to say, so...look! Pretty pictures!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: Nal'da Rising (12/18: Shas'el Tal'den Update)

Post#43 » Dec 18 2012 11:25

That suit looks fantastic. The colors are gorgeous and the modifications you've made to the model are perfect. Well done!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (12/21: Shas'el Tal'den finished!)

Post#44 » Dec 21 2012 12:52

Another false end-of-the-world prediction has passed, and with it I've gotten to a point on Shas'el Tal'den that I feel is good enough for tabletop quality! He'll likely get some touch-ups soon, but for the first completed Tau miniature in who-knows-how-long I think he came out pretty cool. :)

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (1/3: XV92 & XV98 WIP)

Post#45 » Jan 03 2013 11:32

Notice of Intervention wrote:"Tal'den, what you have brought to me is...dire, to say the least. The number of threats appraoching our borders is not to be taken lightly; fall back to Zan'Jilbar and rally our forces; I will be arriving in two days' time. The Earth Caste and our allies are preparing my new battlesuit-the XV92 "Retaliatior"-and a new XV98 Broadside for testing in these upcoming confrontations; make sure that the Earth Caste on Zan'Jilbar have proper equipment for readings-and, of course, repairs. Shas'o Nal'da Orpheus out."

So, I received some goodies in the mail recently! A few parts had large air bubbles, but were in the right places to try something new. So, using these new parts, I decided to give Orpheus a fittingly large battlesuit given what he's accomplished fluff-wise and in many RPG sessions. THe arms will be magnetized so that I can swap them for R'alai's weaponry should I decide to field him instead of Farsight. I also have an XV9-based broadside in the works, though I may exchange the current guns for metal railguns.

EDIT:
After looking at my previous Farsight conversion-the one that those arms were taken from-I thought that it looked too good to relegate to a lower position, so I took a pair of arms I had laying in my bits box and decided to give Tal'den an upgrade!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/22: Time to decide!)

Post#46 » Mar 22 2013 02:55

Right, so seeing all the the pics and the confirmation that Tau are indeed next have gotten me fired-up, and I spent the better part of the past few days working on battlesuit conversions. One of them stood out the most, and quickly became my to-be commander:

The question now is hat to do color-wise. So far I'm looking at a few options:

-Leave the main color the airbrushed grey and paint the secondary parts (joints, shins, etc.) black.
-Leave the main color the airbrushed grey and paint the secondary parts (joints, shins, etc.) gunmetal/silver.
-Leave the secondary parts airbrushed grey and paint the main panels Knarloc Green.
-Leave the secondary parts airbrushed grey and paint the main panels White.
-Leave the secondary parts airbrushed grey and paint the main panels Orange.
-Leave the secondary parts airbrushed grey and paint the main panels Hormagaunt or Liche Purple.

What do you guys think?

As far as colour schemes etc go I will leave it up to the community to help there, but I *really* like the use of the Daemon Prince sword etc in this model. Consider your idea stolen, OH - as long as you don't mind, that is. :crafty: ~ Eiglepulper

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/23: Last call on colors!)

Post#47 » Mar 23 2013 08:45

Well, my best friend convinced me to try purple because my original firewarriors were painted purple, back in late 4th edition. Heck, let's have a then-and-now comparison!

THEN:

NOW (maybe!):

Still a WIP, but yeah. :P Still undecided; should I paint his helmet black to indicate that he's the Shas'o, or should I save helmets for Firewarrior Shas'ui's and Battlesuit Shas'vre's? Or should -they- get the white helmets? Also, here's a couple of my other schemes I tried, in case they're preferred:

ORANGE (The highlights are messy, I know):

GREEN:

THIS IS THE LAST CALL FOR INPUT ON THE COLOR SCHEME! If you have something to say, PLEASE say it!

EDIT: As a bonus to help people decide, I tinkere dwitha picture of the riptide to show it on other colors:
[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]

Speck
Shas

Post#48 » Mar 23 2013 09:33

I would have to say the third color (green) looks best to me. Gives it a Gundam kind of look, and green is a favorite color of mine as well. And aside from my own personal bias, that scheme of green looks the smoothest on the Riptide. :biggrin:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#49 » Mar 23 2013 09:43

Hmmm...so Green over all the other choices, eh? Well, for the commander, should the helmet be white or black? The other will be the helmets for Squad leaders and the commander's bodyguard.

Speck
Shas

Post#50 » Mar 24 2013 12:49

I'd say go white for white on the commander's head, but instead of doing black for the rest of the squadron, I'd say keep their heads green with the rest of their bodies. However, I can see black doing just as fine :)

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#51 » Mar 24 2013 05:31

I'd say the green riptide looks best (for the same reason speck says so), and, "normal" unit in i squad should have a green head, while commanders have white, to make their commander-ness apparent. Maybe also paint the shoulder pads of commanders white to make it apparent from behind too.
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/25: And the winner is...!)

Post#52 » Mar 25 2013 02:49

With a resounding majority of votes across the board(s), the color I will paint my Tau shall be GREEN! And with everyone's input in mind, here's where I'm currently at painting-wise:

So far I think it looks pretty neat, but what do -you- all think about the rougher, beaten-up look? Should I roll with it, or should I try to go for a more classic neat and tidy paint scheme? How's the sword looking? Should I go for red glow from the lenses or purple? You've all been a big help so far, so don't leave me hanging!

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#53 » Mar 25 2013 08:28

That is...the most amazing farsight ever.

HOW?!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#54 » Mar 25 2013 09:14

Hello again Orpheus Hangar. It's been a while since I've checked your thread and I must say that this is a pleasant surprise. Your skills of model painting have grown considerably and I might even admit that they have surpassed my own at this point. Since red is a complementary color to green, I think that red lenses would be best, though don't be afraid to also try yellow/orange. May I inquire as to why you chose gold for the sword? I think it could work, but not as you have it now. Lastly, stick with the rough. You've found your calling, go for it.

Return to “Common Workbench”