Nal'da Enclave (7/26/17: Metal Tau Rising: Revengeance Force Squad Go)

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/25: And the winner is...!)

Post#55 » Mar 25 2013 09:36

I agree with Agentarrow. There aren't enough 'rough' Tau armies out there, especially well done ones like yours.

Maybe do a test run for the lenses on a spare target lock or multi-tracker to see how they look with the green. Red always works, but I think other colors could look great too, I'd have to see them. (hint, hint ;) )

I think something is off with the sword though. Maybe just because you don't usually see Gold on the business ends of weapons because Gold is so soft. Maybe you could give it some more depth with highlights and some sort of "Living Metal" feel to it?
Is it still supposed to be a captured demon artifact?

Final note, your commander looks fantastic but I think he looks a tad funny on such a small base. A larger base would allow a wider stance making him look more dramatic, and it would also make him more of an imposing figure.
The new farsight model looks like it has a larger base, but I'm not positive on the size. :?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/25: And the winner is...!)

Post#56 » Mar 25 2013 10:26

This makes me feel like I'm ripping off Andy Warhol, but here are some different lens colors I put together followed by my comments for each:

Top left: Red lenses are a go-to for green Tau. If you can't find anything you like, they always look good.
Top middle: Orange is a bit more strange of a color on green. I thought it was worth trying, but I don't think the result is as good as I had expected.
Top right: Yellow/Amber lends itself really well to the model. It matches the gold of the sword well and stands out beautifully. I like this lens.
Middle right: I wanted to try green-on-green, but I think the lens blends into the rest of the model too much. Green lenses are what I use on my models, but they're blue and orange.
Middle middle: Cyan lenses have always held a special place in my heart. I think they work well here.
Middle left: Deep blue is perhaps too dark of a lens. I think it doesn't "pop" enough with that white head. This is maybe better for a muted and dark scheme.
Bottom left: Violet is one of the colors you had suggested. I think it works well, but red is better.
Bottom middle: Magenta is a strange color that is rarely used for lenses. It gives you a way to set your model apart
Bottom right: If you look at real lenses like these, they are rarely colored. Usually, they are clear of appear to be gloss black due to what is behind them being dark. This is the "realist" approach, and one that is rarely taken.

If i were to rank these pictures in order of favorite to least-favorite, here would be my ranking:
#1: Cyan, #2: Amber, #3: Red, #4: Violet, #5: Black, #6: Magenta, #7: Green, #8: Deep blue, #9: Orange.

Hope this helps you choose.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/25.1: Nearly done!)

Post#57 » Mar 25 2013 09:16

Not much to say, so....painting update!

Shi'mont'ka
Fio

Post#58 » Mar 25 2013 09:36

War has no atrocities, only things to regret.

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Mar 25 2013 09:41

Cyan or Magenta would be my vote, I like the idea of Tau primary colours being just that big off to a human perspective (particularly since they'd have 5).

That said, a lot would depend on the sword - you planning to have a coloured core, or just having it being done in the same way as the coloured blade but as a solid colour?

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#60 » Mar 25 2013 10:03

The red lenses and red blade tie up everything nicely. I stand by my suggestion that cyan would be better (on both since the Dawn Blade is typically depicted as silver and cyan) but I think you're on the right track having the two match. It gives a sense that the suit and sword emanate with the same energies.

Edit: @Shi'Mont'Ka: Those are 54mm scale mech rail guns purchased from Paulson Games. They are not Tau bits but with some green stuff work they often compliment Tau models well as conversion pieces.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (3/27: True-color photos & OSL)

Post#61 » Mar 27 2013 09:24

Right, made myself power through the OSL effects while watching a friend's art stream and listening to some [awesome] music. Once the glue for the sand on the base dries I'll get to properly painting the base; anyone have any suggestions for anything else to do?

[url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/478027-Battlesuit%2C%20Commander%20Farsight%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Counts%20As%2C%20Hazard%2C
%20Shas%27o%2C%20Tau.html]Image[/url]

Also, my sister noted that, when Zanzibar Breeze-the theme song from Metal Gear 2-started playing, my color scheme is that of Metal Gear D from Metal Gear 2! I had NOT intended that!

Please remember to keep language PG. Just because activity has increased does not mean the primers have relaxed. This is still, and always will be, a family site
>>--AA-->

Bronson
Shas

Post#62 » Mar 31 2013 04:14

Simply stunning work, sir. And as a diehard Metal Gear fan, I applaud the nod ;)

Cipher-032
Shas

Post#63 » Mar 31 2013 06:17

Green seems to be the new thing for the Tau. I've seen several people start green Cadre's with the new releases.

Maybe yellow lenses?

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#64 » Apr 01 2013 04:48

I'm seeing some good ...changes... in your work, Orpheus. The winds of Chaos like thisssss...

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (4/17:Test figure & new colors)

Post#65 » Apr 17 2013 07:14

Right, the purple and the green were neat, but...bright colors like that tend to work better on Spehss Murheens, not the more realistically-minded Tau. :P Thus, I dug through my old photos and found my suits that were painted in Charadon Granite (now Stormvermin Fur). It was a really cool brown/grey-ish neutral color, and it suits the Tau very well in my opinion-though you can judge for yourself from the photos!

Now as much as I like that battlesuit, the bronze/gold was a pain in the rear to paint! So, for future suits, it'll likely just be silver; however, if the general consensus is that the bronze/gold parts look better, I can tyr a sepia wash to emulate gold/bronze. Any opinions thus far?

nor'od-alex
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (4/17:Test figure & new colors)

Post#66 » Apr 19 2013 02:33

...Gehenna gold? I reckon that gold/bronze looks like Gehenna gold.
Anyways, that looks good. Most important is your own opinion.
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (4/24: XV8-03 "Contender" Burning Eye-D)

Post#67 » Apr 24 2013 03:28

Right, using what I learned on the test model, I've developed what I dubbed the XV8-03 "Contender" Battlesuit. The squad I'm going to run is a Burning Eye-D setup-basically a pair of plasma rifles instead of a twin-linked one. The Shas'vre is going to be wearing armor based on an XV9, while the Shas'ui will be wearing XV8-03 suits. The commander who will be attaching to them will be in XV8-05 Enfrocer armor (when I can get the model), but I'm unsure what weapon configuration to run with him: Burning Eye-D, Plasma & Cyclic Ion Blaster, or Plasma & Airbursting Fragmentation Projector. Thoughts?

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (4/26: Contender tutorial/WIP)

Post#68 » Apr 26 2013 03:15

Right, I decided to make a how-to for my XV8-03 "Contender" battlesuit, since someone out there might actually want to use this conversion themselves. I've found that this is a good way to give your battlesuit a waist and remove a lot of the 'squished' look of the torso without making it obscenely tall and harder to hide on the tabletop. Anyways, on to the tutorial!

STEP 1

Assemble the jetpack as normal if you wish, but instead of attaching the front of the torso, get a fresh blade and (CAREFULLY!) cut out the rear half of the hips, cutting right above/at the top of the socket. Do what you can to make sure this is a nice, even cut; you're going to need everything here! Repeat the same on the front of the torso, and glue it all together.

STEP 2

Take a shield generator and locate the 'tabs' on the outer facing. Using them as guide marks, trim away part of the outer 'ring' so that it can fit into the cut portion on the underside of the torso. The protrusion under the power plant may need to be cut further as well to accommodate. HWen you're done, reove everything on the underside of the shield generator (the side that'd normally face the battlesuit when attached). Don't glue it in yet!

STEP 3

Step 3 is separate because I need to emphasize: BE VERY VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS! I sliced the ever-living crap out of my thumb on the first suit; take your time, don't rush, and control your cut! Now that the warning's there, take the former shield generator and, using the lip of the outer ring, begin to cut out the raised portion in the center, leaving it flat. Glue it in, and perform any necessary extra cuts to smooth out everything and any desired gap-filling.

STEP 3.5 [Optional]

If you wish to make the armored 'skirting' like I do, something that may help them fit better is to cut out part of the shield generator's outer ring to give them flat portions to glue onto.

STEP 4

Glue together the hip pieces, being careful to make sure the socket's properly aligned. From there, make a cut from the bottom to the top on the side, using the front half's shape as a guide, removing any curvature. After this, cut the top flat and make any other cuts you wish; I opted to remove the uppermost portion of the groin plate seeing as there was a depression left on the inside from when it was removed from the chest. Glue it on at the rotation desired.

STEP 5

Technically this step is optional, but it's practically given that, if you want a rotating waist, you want bending knees as well! I actually see some people struggle with this, so here's a simple, easily repeatable way to get bent knees! Prepare your battlesuit's leg as normal, then locate the 'tab' on the shin, right under the knee. Make a horizontal cut that just barely goes into the shin; now, put your knife down and slowly pull back on the shin, gradually applying pressure. The plastic will turn white and rip, and-if done right-will follow the curve of the knee! Once it's barely dangling, carefully cut it free, clean the cuts/rips, and engrave the grooves in the knee further back. Pinning is optional; I find that, if done right, the shin will get a very good seal on the knee when glued-one, and be very sturdy. The ripping makes the plastic a little rough on the surface, giving the glue more to 'grip' onto and this making a stronger bond. If you fee it's necessary, though, go ahead and pin it (especially if you will add large weapons/metal parts to the suit).

STEP 5.5 [Optional]

If you want a nice dynamic pose, pinning the model to the base is almost necessary (and pinning battlesuits to the base is highly recommended anyways thanks to how little contact surface there is). If you're like me though, and your pins aren't quite as wide as your drill bit, or your model's wanting to move before the glue sets, there's an easy way to make it dry faster and get a firmer seal! Pour a little excess superglue into the area around the pin on the top and bottom of the base. Then, take some basing sand or baking soda and sprinkle it into the wet glue. it'll act like a sponge and soak up the glue, increasing the surface area and thus causing the glue to dry faster! I recommend that, while it's still wet, apply a little more glue and a second layer of sand/baking soda to make sure it doesn't soak up TOO much glue.

STEP 6 [Optional]

For those who followed step 3.5, here's where that extra step comes into play! Find a spare jetpack (preferably one from a beaten-up suit or failed/cancelled conversion), and only remove the inner/front half of the lower jet, the largest part. Keep the half of the nozzle attached; you'll need that! From here, jsut prepare the part as any other, remove the excess where it was attached tot he jetpack half, and carefully glue it in after cutting the former nozzle to fit flush against the waist cut made earlier. Now your battlesuit can enjoy greater protection for the vulnerable joints! The final image shows it at it's curent state of complete with the exception of the head; I simply wanted to show how much better the stock head looks wen the 'stem' of the neck is removed and the head is allowed to sit almost flush on the collar.

That's it! Feel free to follow it as closely as you wish, or to go off-course to your heart's content! Many thanks to the conversionists from Advanced Tau Tactica, whom have inspired me greatly in this conversion and in many others; now get out there and start preparing your battlesuits-the enemies of the Greater Good will not wait for you!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#69 » Apr 26 2013 10:16

Nice work. This reminds me a lot of the suits that Wolfs16 is doing. Wonderfully simple solution.

happy_spike
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#70 » Apr 26 2013 11:15

For that rather dangerous looking step 3, you could use a heavy toothed flat file and a copper brush (do not use a steel one, you will blunt the file!), which are both available incredibly cheaply at a hardware store.

-Place the file flat on the table.
-Hold the shield between the index find and the thumb, with the top facing downwards as below.
-Then using your fingers braced against the side of the file, using it like a rail, move you fingers down towards the handle of the file.
-Then lift it up, place it at the top again and repeat until it's at the desired height.
-Don't run it back to the top of the file again because the file only cuts in one direction (tip to handle) and it will clog up your file faster and lead to a curved top instead of a flat one.
-Plastic will clog up the file so when it does just take your copper brush and remove the waste, brush along the yellow arrow below, following the teeth, this will keep your teeth in good cutting condition.

This will get the surface flat very quickly and safely.

I don't usually post things like this on other peoples project logs, but for the sake of little blue fingers everywhere I though I'd offer some friendly advice. :D

If you want me to remove it please let me know and I will take it off right away!

Edit: oh and I forgot to say...

Awesome conversion! I'll be using some of those techniques myself I think! Great work.

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (5/12: Shas'o on the field!)

Post#71 » May 12 2013 04:41

"Shas'el Nal'da Tal'den, your most recent reports concern me greatly. The sudden rise and fall of Dark Angels activity and the rapidly boldening Chaos incursions are of no small consequence, and they draw ever closer to our borders. After convening with the Shas'ar'tol, it has been decided; I shall personally join you on the battlefield soon. May whatever gods they pray to have mercy on them should they harm any of our own on my watch."

Theme Music:
http://youtu.be/ULMqHQCMLFs?t=5s

------------------------------

Right, not much to say that the pictures don't show; still needs some liquid greenstuff work, and I'm not entirely sure about this Onager Gauntlet design. If anyone has any suggestions concerning the gauntlet, please let me know! The current one is inspired by Big O's punching attack from the anime "The Big O!". Also, should I go with a closed fist or open hand for the right (plasma rifle) arm?

The following photos were taken prior to the assembly of the gauntlet and the addition of the aerials/antennae to the right side of the head:

EDIT: For shame, people; I've been getting more/quicker replies for my Tau thread on a -Nurgle- website! :(

Louielouie
Shas

Re: Nal'da Rising (5/12: Shas'o on the field!)

Post#72 » May 13 2013 07:33

That was a good tutorial on how you've done the twisting torso on your suits. Very cool and thank you.

And it doesn't need to be said that all your battlesuits look amazing, but I'll say it anyway.
- Louielouie

Return to “Common Workbench”