[WIP] Kroot Hybrid Army

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

[WIP] Kroot Hybrid Army

Post#1 » Mar 05 2012 10:07

After owning my army for over a year (almost fully painted) i decided i to create a kroot mercenary army. After talking to some of the guys at GW i decided it would be simpler for me to stick with the Tau rules as, in my opinion, i'm still lacking enough gaming experience to do something i concider something advanced gamers do. As you all know kroot's have gps in their DNA to store significant data i order to aid them in battle and stuff. This lead me to creating kroot hybrids, i've not sorted out the background story yet but basically they turned on the Tau (Including vespids) and ate them, thus gaining their skills.

This is my first go at converting anything and also the first time i've used greenstuff, so be warned that they aren't amazing looking.

Kroot FW (better name to be given later)
I tried to give the Kroot the actual FW helmet but i felt that it just didn't look right so instead I greenstuffed the top of the head and stuck the lense from the helmet on, i decided to give them hoods as i am trying to have a 'rogue' style to them as they are scavangers (hence the boltgun attachment), this will become more evident through more units. I also tried to mould the kroot legs to look more Tau like but I failed so instead i used Beastmen and i kept the fur on just because i like the look of it.

Kroot Vespid
With these units I intend to show more of the mutation that occurs and i thought it'd look cooler if i had the arms mutate into the wings, I used Tyranid Gargoyle for the wings and for the back plating. The plating on the back vibrates so that is how they can use the Neuron Blaster. I originally had the arms on the bottom holding the gun but, after talking to a friend, was convindence to have a stinger to replace the legs and have a neuron chest blaster instead. I'm not 100% happy with the stinger and the chest blaster so any ideas are very welcome.

All comments are appreciated, good or bad. Also if anyone has any ideas for colour scheme i'm more then happy to take suggestions
Last edited by T113 on Mar 14 2012 06:52, edited 2 times in total.
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

VK-Duelist
Shas

Re: Kroot Hybrid Army

Post#2 » Mar 05 2012 05:48

So far so good, but this reminds me of the Chapter Approved Kroot Merc Codex for some reason....

The beak really compliments the hooded look of the Kroot Fire Warrior.
W: 0
T: 0
L: 3

devilfish12
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 05 2012 09:21

Brilliant concepts, if you wanted to go for a more high tech looking kroot-warrior you could sculpt a mask out of green stuff much like the face mask of the dark eldar bikers if you understand.
As for the vespid alternatives, I think they're actually ingenious love the idea of melding the arms and the wings.
keep up the good work man.
Devil :fear:

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 06 2012 02:41

hey thanks for the compliments lads.
And Devil i was thinking about making the pathfinders look abit more 'techy' then the FW so i'll deffinatley try your idea out and see how that goes

devilfish12
Shas

Re: [WIP] Kroot Hybrid Army

Post#5 » Mar 09 2012 06:41

Your welcome bud, after mentioning that techy kroot I'm afraid I had to hunt down the site I found the image on...
Sooo here you go, you can click here to be inspired
I hope I might have gave you some ideas. However I am most curious as to see your unigue crisis suit conversions :crafty:

The helpful Devil ;) :fear:

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#6 » Mar 10 2012 03:07

Ah that is where I come into a problem, I know that I Want the suits to be Bio mechanical but I'm still thinking about how I'm going to do it. I was thinking of using a krootox with the weapons embedded into its body somehow.

Also thanks for the link, that is how I plan to do the masks for the Pathfinders but I think I'm going to have them on all fours and have the weapon strapped to their backs, my idea is to show the difference in movement speed, I just hope I can actually pull this off :P

Another thing as well is do you have any ideas what I could do for the Ethereal? It's mainly the clothing that I can't think to do for the little nipper

devilfish12
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 10 2012 07:50

Hmmmmm cyborg krootox, I guess you could make something like that...I shall try to help as much I can bud, but I'm unsure as to how it would work exactly, could possibly use some parts from the dark eldar grotesque? Found this guy he might be able to help, he's a fellow ATT member
I love the idea for your pathfinders though :D they actually sound brilliant, you could use those new ghouls from the vampire count range :)
As for the etheral, I don't think he will be as difficult as you think, to be honest you wouldn't even need to convert one ;) you could just model a cape out of green stuff, much like this guy. Ta Dah

Hope I could help
Devil :fear:

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 10 2012 03:30

Well, I've sene some people convert Kroot-looted Sentinels to count as Krootox...or if ya wanted to go super conversion-happy you could do one inspired by a Mass Effect 3 Brute:

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#9 » Mar 12 2012 07:40

@ Orpheus - Yeah I thought about that when I first saw him, he's a frightening thing when he's running straight at you :P , the brute is pretty much what I was thinking, I thought that having the huge arms could be the replacement for the jet pack. Just need to think how i'm going to make the crisi version look different from the broadside version.

@Devil - Thanks for the links and also thanks for the help with the pathfinders I might use the Ghouls or the Dire Wolves, just have to see them in person an make a decision.
Last edited by T113 on Mar 13 2012 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

devilfish12
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 12 2012 11:31

Your welcome buddy, however I would have assumed that the ghouls would have been the more obvious choice as they do appear to be more humanoid in appearance. But I will have to agree with you as even I haven't seen them in person :P

Devil

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#11 » Mar 13 2012 02:38

Yeah you're right about that but I would only be using the legs and I want to pick the legs that will match the beastmen legs, that I've used for the FW, as much as possible. I was also thinking about giving them a camo cloak or will that be too much?

devilfish12
Shas

Post#12 » Mar 13 2012 02:46

I think it might be a bit too much if the model will be on all fours as well, but if you decide to go the other way and make the models two legged I don't see why not man :smile:

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#13 » Mar 13 2012 03:38

I'm going to have to put some serious thinking in to this, I was originally going for a rogue theme with masks and hoods and stuff but I like the idea of them being on all fours. This is a head scratcher :P

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#14 » Mar 14 2012 07:37

Just thought I'd keep you updated on the very slow progress of my army, due to lack of job and funds this is going to take me longer to complete than I was hoping so I'll apologise for that now. So far I have done four FWs, I've decided to name them in case I ever get around to doing any writing about them. I've done some research and I think the name's I have given them will work but if they don't please let me know and I'll try my best to give them something better.
As seen above this is Kekeng
The new ones are Ant'ook
This guy has his hood back so you can get a better few of the helmet and visor combo that they wear.
This is Gnaron
He is only wearing the visor, again to show the different styles.
Lastly is It'Jex
I've realised that I've forgotten to put the visor around his neck but I left his face clear so that you can see the line in between his eyes to make them more Tau like

E'nigma
Shas

Post#15 » Mar 14 2012 09:35

Ooo cool names where you able to find out their names? It would really help me out will naming my kill team.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#16 » Mar 14 2012 09:47

I couldn't find much to be honest apart from this http://forums.tauonline.org/tau/82111-kroot-names.html and the kroot codex, I tried to use sounds that sound tribal like and use 'clicky' sounds or words that make you pause in between syllables. Hope that helped, and that it made sense :P

E'nigma
Shas

Post#17 » Mar 14 2012 03:50

That actually helps out a lot thank you :D

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#18 » Mar 17 2012 09:40

@E'nigma - Glad to help mate :fear:

Finished another guy who I've named Tcht'aak, I thought I'd try a different pose to mix things up a bit :neutral:

Return to “Common Workbench”