[WIP] Kroot Hybrid Army

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Re: [WIP] Kroot Hybrid Army

Post#21 » Mar 24 2012 09:53

The day has finally come, I now have a full squad :D I got there eventually :P
I'll start with my 'Shas'ui'. His name is Koot'rah. I'm not sure if it's worth giving him a marker light or a bonding knife but I decided to give him them just incase, can always say they're just for show if they're no good :P
Next is Gnol'ah
This is Dalatr'k I took this photo not long after I made him and the glue hadn't dried that is why my hand is in the photo' so sorry about that. I also couldn't get a clear photo of him so i'll upload one when I get one
This is Akiik I decided to give him a cloak/poncho thing instead of a hood just to add abit of a mix
And last but not least Ah'koo this is my favourite so far, I've made him different because he is a sort of adjutant/bodyguard for the shas'ui (like Ezrah in the Gaunt's Ghosts books). He has a carbine instead of the rifle so that if an enemy gets too close he can pin them while the squad gets into cover

my camera has ran out of batteries so when I get some more I'll upload a group photo aswell. Still unsure of the colour scheme though :-?
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#22 » Apr 02 2012 09:22

Just a small update, got a better camera now so I've taken a group shot as promised

thing are abit quiet on the modeling front as I am waiting on parts that I have ordered to come through. But I did start painting my old kroots, I've not painted in about a year and even then i wasn't very good. I'm going to use a more vivid red but this is just a general idea

Also I'm going to do the gun a different colour but not sure what yet. Comments and Criticism appreciated :neutral:

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#23 » Feb 28 2015 08:34

2 years?! Oh the shame! :::(

I have been still been working on the little cluckers but always forgot to post my progress. Since my last post, way back when, i painted all my firewarriors and built a small unit of Pathfinders.

here are some of the painted guys.

Still need to work on my painting skills but it's not bad for a beginner :crafty:

For the Pathfinders, things didn't go exactly according to plan. I wanted to make them more 'techy' by adding a semi see through gauntlet on them all to act as a ML (I wanted it to look like the Tech glove in mass effect). I'm still looking into to how i can manage this but i put it on the back burner for now. I changed the legs up on them, because they're a recon unit i wanted to show them as being able to move fast so i made some of them moving on all fours...
Action pose
for the special weapons units i wanted to give them a more 'tough guy' look. The idea behind the guns is that there's an anti grav unit under the gun so it's light weight (to make them more mobile.)
Only thing this guy is missing is a cigar ;)

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#24 » Feb 28 2015 08:42

After the 6th ed codex came out, i really wanted to make my own characters. I started by trying to do my version of Cadre Fireblade but it failed, so i went on to Darkstrider

So that's where i got before i fell off the hobbying wagon.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#25 » Feb 28 2015 08:59

I think it was a year since I made my Darkstrider counts as.

I have been doing bits and bobs between then and now but it's only been recently that I've fully dived back into the hobby. I've had a long look at my work so far and I'm about 70% happy with it all. my main complaint is the weapons ... i really don't like what I've don't with the Pulse Rifles :( they just look all kinds of wrong lol. So I've decided on a concept but I'm still working on the design but basically i wanted to make them look more like Futuristic Rangers but instead of giving them all bows my idea is to give them arm cannons (Like Samus or Mega man) but add to blade like things on them to act as weights or something (again I'm still trying to figure it all out).

In the mean time I've started on my stealth suits. I saw a post on here that had a link on how to give your Kroots Dreads and as soon as i saw it i knew i HAD to do it ... it just looks so cool but I'm not sure if I'll do it on all of them or just leave it fro the stealth guys.

I've kind of shot myself in the foot because I'm going to make my own arms out of green-stuff. I wanted the arms to be longer than normal because they are going to be wielding a spear (nothing says hunter like a spear :P) on the other hand will be a gauntlet that concentrates their psychic power and shoots tiny shards to energy.

Those things on their backs are supposed to be small wings so they can propel themselves across the battlefield

Let me know what you all think and hopefully I'll keep on posting more stuff as I work on it ... I'll try not to leave it 2 years at least ;)

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#26 » May 06 2015 04:23

I was lucky enough to receive an imperial knight from my gf (she doesn't know too much about my toys and didn't realise that I don't collect anything imperial, bless her, her heart was in the right place :) ).

This has lead me to the opportunity to do something I never thought I'd do. RIPTIDE CONVERSION !!!

So far I have the knight and a greater knarloc. My aim is to make a giant armoured kroot riptide but have no idea how to approach it. So I'm asking you, oh great fellow commanders, for any help/ ideas/ inspiration. :fear:

Jinkingriptide
Shas

Post#27 » May 06 2015 06:37

I think this is a brilliant idea, I was trying to do something like this a while ago but did not like the outcome and discarded idea. However if your doing something like this what if you made it look like a kroot a ripped off the helmet part and is now piloting the knight. As an alternative you could add the Knight bits to the knarloc and make it giant living gun platform.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » May 06 2015 07:33

Hey T113,

Like what you've got cooking. I just read something about the Kroot and I was wondering what your thoughts are on how fast they can adapt/evolve. Do you think it's one generation or two? Or can the individual Kroot adapt?

As to your gf's fantastic gift, why not something like this:

http://www.wallpapervortex.com/wallpape ... UqyPNpViko
~Good Hunting

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#29 » May 07 2015 01:33

@jinkingriptide - thanks for the ideas but was thinking about making a new type of knarloc using the bits instead of building on top of the existing model.

@calmsword - this one is just going to be an individual model but the rest of the army are first generation mutation. There is a fluff story in the works to explain the rapid mutation.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#30 » May 07 2015 04:30

Nice conversions. I especially like the fact you have been using Beastmen parts, as they are awesome models themselves plus they are my main Army for Warhammer Fantasy (though with the shenanigans of End Times going on i havent played Fantasy for last three years).
I like the poncho hooded guy with sniper rifle, well done.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#31 » May 07 2015 11:32

Thanks myrdin, glad you like them. To be honest I'm not happy with how the gun'a have turned out, I'm planning on swapping the arms and making my own with a sci fi bow and arrow that I've come up with. I want to try and make them look like cyber woodelves (but not Eldar like)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#32 » May 07 2015 12:11

That sounds like a good idea. ;) If I may suggest - I think crossbows would work even better for them. They got the "gun" hold, look "grim dark" enough, and you can glue on some techno gimmicks, bitz and whatnot to make them look all Predator style (Kukukukukukku... you now the sound he made :D ).

Plus - if you take a look at the Mounted Knarloc with that balista on his back - despite the permittivity of the weapon the design itself seems kinda.... "normal" for the Kroot. Thats where I am coming from :)

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#33 » May 07 2015 05:14

Yeah I was originally going to do crossbows but I've always had a soft spot for archers, I'm going to use crossbows for my pathfinders though

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#34 » May 08 2015 11:40

@ calmsword sorry I completely misread what you said :? . I think the speed at which a kroot mutates can vary depending on how much information they take into their DNA, this is my interpretation anyway. I like the idea of it being a big risk reward thing for them. So the more they take, the quicker they evolve down a certain path but this heightens the risk of them being stuck down that path.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#35 » Mar 05 2016 07:36

hmmmmmm well so much for trying to keep this thread updated :(. Progress has been stupidly slow plus life and the into silence stuff has took up a lot of my free time plus i have a new job which is sapping all the energy out of me, who knew that brewing beer took up so much energy, anyway i have 5 out of 6 "stealth suits" built all with greenstuff'd arms which took multiple attempts as I have next tono experience working with the stuff. I thought I'd share some pics of them before i ruin them by applying paint (Unfortuately i had already started on 2 of them before i took the pics) anyway C and C always appreciated ...
Front
Back

The poses may not make sense as they because i'm also doing custom bases which i will post up once they're painted up since they look like big green messes at the minute :)

Return to “Common Workbench”