[Review] Zealot Miniatures Kadesh Female Heads and Torsos

A collection of model, book and wargame reviews, edited and maintained by members for the community.
greenmtvince
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

[Review] Zealot Miniatures Kadesh Female Heads and Torsos

Post#1 » May 30 2012 07:58

This is my first attempt at writing a review. Please C&C form and flow of the article as well as discuss the bitz. I'd like to refine it for the annals of ATT.

Review of Zealot Miniatures
Kadesh Female Heads and Torsos

by Greenmtvince

Introduction

Back in the day, Games Workshop ran the original bitz service. For those looking to add a few female fire warriors to our cadres, you could simply order a Commander Shadowsun head and be done with it. Their bitz service went away, I had my little emoragequit for a few months, and 3rd parties moved in to fill the void. Now for official GW options, if you want to add female Tau to your ranks, you can buy Shadowsun, build her with the helmeted head and keep the bare head for your conversions or modify a daemonette head.

I'm in the process of putting together a Tau boarding team for games of Zone Mortalis and I knew I wanted a minimum sized squad of Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines to wander the bowels of Imperial Ships wondering what they had to do to get a Crisis Suit like everyone else in the list. I'm a conversion junkie and I can't field anything to the tabletop stock, so I was wondering what I could do to make my boarding team a little more unique. I found my answer when I was directed to Zealot Miniatures offering their Kadesh Female heads and bodies in convenient 6-packs. I figured that my Sky Raiders Eldar Corsairs were all female, so I might as well keep the theme going. I traded for some Fire Warrior bits and placed an order with Zealot.

Unboxing

ImageImage

My shipment arrived promptly in a standard padded mailer emblazoned with the Zealot Miniatures logo. The two kits were in sealed zip log bags. It appears that the ponytail heads were clipped from the sprue to be laid flat in shipping, which is a nice touch to prevent any breaking or bending. The resin itself seems high quality, on par with Forgeworld's most recent offerings. The density of the resin and the distinct lack of major mould lines leads me to think they were pressure cast in a split mould, but that's just idle speculation on my part.

As you can see from the pics, the heads are slightly smaller than the bare plastic head that's standard in the Fire Warrior kit, although they certainly look like they could fit more comfortably inside the Fire Warrior helmet. The heads themselves come in three varieties, bald, a ponytail, and a bob haircut. One of each of the bald and ponytailed models come with a communicator band capable of mounting a Fire Warrior aerial. There were only slight mold lines on some of the heads that were easily cleaned up with a hobby knife.

The torso armour comes in two varieties one "uparmoured" which has an abdominal piece similar to that on the standard fire warrior armour and one regular-armour which has been described by others as "bare midriff." I had originally planned on greenstuffing in the abdominal armour, but after model assembly, the midriff is barely noticeable and could easily be painted a cloth uniform colour like Under-Armor brand shirts. As you can see the torso is slightly taller than the standard fire warrior torso and the shoulders are slightly narrower, no doubt to exaggerate female proportions. The back of the up-armoured models feature a small block that must be removed in order to fit the Fire warrior backpacks flush.

Assembly

Assembly isn't as straightforward as a plastic Fire Warrior. The waist of the torso lines up very nicely with the stock plastic legs. However, fitting the pulse carbine/rifle arms was a bit of a challenge. The narrower and smaller shoulders meant I had to do some trimming of the upper arms.

In the case of fitting a pulse carbine in a firing pose, I also had to go Amazon on some of my torsos and remove some of the "extra armour" and cloth material from the arms to get them to fit right. Removal of the circular peg on the backpacks allowed them to mate up perfectly with the torso.

ImageImage

The heads match up perfectly with the torsos. Admittedly, mine probably could have been trimmed down a bit further, but I wanted to emphasize a taller, slender, athletic form with my builds than the traditional stocky Fire Warrior. For those put off by the busty armour but are still looking for alternative heads, it will require some trimming and greenstuff work to mate them up with the standard fire warrior armour.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Conclusion

I really like Zealot's offering and I'd recommend it to any tau player with some intermediate modeling skill looking to do something different with their fire warriors. You'll get a high quality product however it's not an out-of-the-box ready replacement for the plastic parts like you may expect from a Forgeworld kit. I think modelers looking for an advanced project could certainly use these bits as a basis for something that more closely resembles the GW imagery.

Disclaimer

I just want to say that while there's fluff that Tau females don't look all that different from Tau males, that's just not a universe I want to game in. Would Kirk be out exploring strange new worlds if there weren't any green (blue) skinned space babes on those planets? Highly unlikely.

I'm also keenly aware that after 8 years in an integrated modern military fighting force, that men and women in body armour don't look too terribly different. However, in a universe where NCOs don't seem to think they need to wear helmets, I'm willing to let a little realism slide. The exaggerated proportions or features convey the message more readily than simply a lock of hair or Y-shaped facial organ.
Void Dreaming - Space Warfare in Warhammer 40,000

Cannonfodder
Shas

Re: [Review] Zealot Miniatures Kadesh Female Heads and Torsos

Post#2 » May 30 2012 08:11

Hooray! Thanks for showing us! I think I would like to get some of those as well since I clipped a lot of my helmets for conversions and am out of head right now.

Concerning the boob-tosi I am not so sure. Its again the "catch the male buyer" thing that just doesn't look right.

shadow kat
Shas

Post#3 » May 30 2012 08:21

thanks for the review greenmtvince.

I have a set of my own on the way aswell. They look quite a bit smaller than I was expecting from the comparison to the GW male head.
I havent decided if I want to try and find some alternate arms for them though. The baggy fatigued fire warrior arms look just a tad large and masculine on them. Maybe if I shaved down some of the more pronounced folds..... Or I could go looking for some kind of thinner arm possibly from a daemonette or somwhere in the dark Eldar range. Just thinking out loud

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#4 » May 30 2012 08:34

A very interesting review indeed,

I heard about those bits, most probably somewhere around this forum, and now I am considering to get them.

Now I just hope that you'll upload pictures of the painted models!

greenmtvince
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#5 » May 30 2012 08:55

@Cannonfodder: Glad I could help. I know the torsos aren't for everyone. :smile:

@shadow kat: The issue with the arms throwing off proportions is more visible on the extended left arms than the right, and fortunately those end up getting covered by the shields anyway. The right arm does pose a bit of a problem, though not so much when viewing the models from a gamers-eye view above the table. I probably won't bother altering them any further, because for table ready models it seems like a lot of work for a relatively small return. If I did, I'd probably pull out some of my spare Elyisan Drop Troop arms and figure out how to modify those. I imagine they still have that military fatigue look but with more slender proportions.

@Che Gue'vesa: I just need to do a little sanding of greenstuff and I'll be hitting them with the primer tonight. I'm following Tael's recipe for urban cammo since I got pretty good at it when I last had a Tau army 5 years ago and all my Vallejo eye-dropper bottles are still good. I'll probably use a subdued Kel'shan yellow since these are boarding Shas. With only 6 infantry models 3 drones and 8 suits planned, I'm extra motivated to get this army fully painted.

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#6 » May 30 2012 10:50

greenmtvince wrote:@Che Gue'vesa: I just need to do a little sanding of greenstuff and I'll be hitting them with the primer tonight. I'm following Tael's recipe for urban cammo since I got pretty good at it when I last had a Tau army 5 years ago and all my Vallejo eye-dropper bottles are still good. I'll probably use a subdued Kel'shan yellow since these are boarding Shas. With only 6 infantry models 3 drones and 8 suits planned, I'm extra motivated to get this army fully painted.

That sounds great, I am looking forward to see them.

I just ordered mine and I think I'll be making 'Girl-Scouts' out of them (I mean Pathfinders).

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#7 » May 30 2012 11:55

I'm not a fan of the misproportioned torsos but the heads are cool.

shadow kat
Shas

Post#8 » May 30 2012 06:59

I agree that it would have been nice if the torso was a little more realistically proportioned a bit less "endowed". Im wondering if it would be possible to sand down the chest a bit or would I just end up misshaping and ruining the piece?

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#9 » May 31 2012 01:24

Actually I really like the female torsos, they would be perfect for my extra heretical female space marines! ;)

greenmtvince
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#10 » May 31 2012 08:11

shadow kat wrote:I agree that it would have been nice if the torso was a little more realistically proportioned a bit less "endowed". Im wondering if it would be possible to sand down the chest a bit or would I just end up misshaping and ruining the piece?

Possibly, but at that point you might be better off starting from the plastic torso and just greenstuffing and sanding up to what you need. I would think for the work involved it'd be cheaper, and you saw in one photo that these torsos are so well endowed I needed to do a partial masectomy to get a good fit with the pulse carbine. Beyond that, the larger chests are almost entirely covered up by the carbines in firing poses, so the chest detail and bare/armoured midriffs are only really noticeable in alternate poses (like the grenade throw or Shas'ui.)

Dal'yth Dude
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jun 01 2012 07:05

Thanks for the review. The pics really help me determine whether to get this kit.

I realize that this is a Tau forum, but I think the best bet is to mix bits from the Eldar or Dark Eldar line and greenstuff the hands. I think the heads would work much better with those arms. You could then add some more bits to help draw attention away from the torsos if desired. Like greenmtvince, I'd also only use carbines with them.
To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#12 » Jun 01 2012 10:56

Thanks so much for posting this! I have been interested in getting one of those heads (I only want one!) and have always wondered how they would look in comparison. Thanks for showing us!

shadow kat
Shas

Post#13 » Sep 08 2012 03:22

Hello everyone. I apologize for raising an old thread but I felt it would be preferable to creating a new one.

A small piece of news for anyone interested in using kadesh pieces, Zealot have now released a "Kadesh Arms" set to go along with the heads and torso. available HERE

If anybody goes ahead and purchases a set, I would love to hear a follow up review and see how they look on a model :smile:

Return to “Reviews”