(WIP) XV8 Crisis Suit Refresh

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shas' Mike
Shas

(WIP) XV8 Crisis Suit Refresh

Post#1 » Aug 03 2013 03:24

Salutations Enlightened Community!

For my first post, I wanted to share with you my XV8 Crisis Suit refresh. Much like the 98% of Tau players that are within two standard deviations from the norm, I am not terribly fond of how the XV8 was executed. Huge feet, no lower leg to speak of, midget arms, an awkward looking box-head, and a undiferentiated body that places the monster hip joints immediately below the shoulders. But, I love the 3rd and 4th edition art as well as the Forge World alternative model. Surprisingly, while Dawn of War utilized the Forge World Broadsides with some alterations, it utilized the stock Crisis Suit with almost no structural changes. Instead, the model was just 'stretched' to proper dimensions. And that is the crisis suit I like.

I am neither the first nor last to convert or post their conversion, many other great alternatives have been shared with the community. Other great projects such as Tael's Urban Suit, the released conversion guide for Shas'O Kais from Dawn of War, Tau of War's Old Shatterhands, Warhammer-Tau's Crisis Suit conversions, and OnceHappyBauble's head conversion to recount a few that influenced or inspired me.

So, my mission was not to reinvent the Crisis Suit. I like the stock model as it should be, and I like the Forge World re-invisioning a bit more. While it has smooth sections that mimic similar patterns found elsewhere in the model range, it also adds some geometric distinctness from other line members by including some angular sections as well. So I didn't want something exactly like the vehicles, nor did I want to particularly mimic the new book. In the 6th ed codex, I dislike the jet vents being up so high, and the reversed knee. So, I set to work stretching the model out to more desirable proportions, mimicking the FW head (thanks to OnceHappyBauble for determining how), and in general trying to improve upon what was there. I am a terrible sculptor, so my project was constrained by that self-imposed limitation as well. So, after a couple hours of work, here is the prototype suit:

Here is the changed model alongside a squad-mate who has not received the Captain America treatment:

So, here pictures showing the changed areas. If there is interest, the next model is about to undergo the same process and I will take care to document each step. Essentially, I rebuild the lower legs longer, I extended the arms, separated the torso, and changed out the head.

Again, special thanks to everyone noted above, the relevant suits have been linked to. These examples in particular gave me inspiration. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Re: (WIP) XV8 Crisis Suit Refresh

Post#2 » Aug 03 2013 03:28

Wow, that looks... really amazing. I saw the first picture and thought "that suit looks really great" and didn't even realize it had been modified! It's so pleasing and natural.

It looks like you cut the torso at the waist, but did you do anything to make it wider?

asdfpilot
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 03 2013 07:48

Great! The battlesuit design makes it look lithe and agile, like it could easily jump over rubble in an urban battlefield.
What is the pelvis made of?
Looking forward to a tutorial!

Shas' Mike
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 03 2013 08:07

Lyi'ot wrote:Wow, that looks... really amazing. I saw the first picture and thought "that suit looks really great" and didn't even realize it had been modified! It's so pleasing and natural.

It looks like you cut the torso at the waist, but did you do anything to make it wider?

Thank you for the response Lyi'ot! I did cut the torso at the waist, first immediately below the curve of the center torso to preserve that detail, and then across at the sockets. So the shape, from the side, looked like / / --------------
I did not widen the torso, but I did put the shield generator on the lower portion \ /
to form out the hips, and then green-stuffed the gap in between. Additionally, I cut the socket for the arms flush with the body,
and moved the shoulders upwards and back the slightest bit, to give it a more imposing presence by liberating the arms from the original points. I thought they were a tad too low. Otherwise, the chance in width is strictly a perceptual one due to the changes in the arms & legs.

Shas' Mike
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 03 2013 08:18

asdfpilot wrote:Great! The battlesuit design makes it look lithe and agile, like it could easily jump over rubble in an urban battlefield.
What is the pelvis made of?
Looking forward to a tutorial!

Thank you for the kind words Asdfpilot! I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the initial model. The pelvis is the area with the hip joints separated from the rest of the torso and caped with the shield generator bit. Then, the gap between it and the upper torso is greenstuffed to close the gaps.

Return to “Modelling”