Salutations Enlightened Community!
For my first post, I wanted to share with you my XV8 Crisis Suit refresh. Much like the 98% of Tau players that are within two standard deviations from the norm, I am not terribly fond of how the XV8 was executed. Huge feet, no lower leg to speak of, midget arms, an awkward looking box-head, and a undiferentiated body that places the monster hip joints immediately below the shoulders. But, I love the 3rd and 4th edition art as well as the Forge World alternative model. Surprisingly, while Dawn of War utilized the Forge World Broadsides with some alterations, it utilized the stock Crisis Suit with almost no structural changes. Instead, the model was just 'stretched' to proper dimensions. And that is the crisis suit I like.
I am neither the first nor last to convert or post their conversion, many other great alternatives have been shared with the community. Other great projects such as Tael's Urban Suit
, the released conversion guide for Shas'O Kais
from Dawn of War, Tau of War's Old Shatterhands
, Warhammer-Tau's Crisis Suit conversions
, and OnceHappyBauble's head conversion
to recount a few that influenced or inspired me.
So, my mission was not to reinvent the Crisis Suit. I like the stock model as it should be, and I like the Forge World re-invisioning a bit more. While it has smooth sections that mimic similar patterns found elsewhere in the model range, it also adds some geometric distinctness from other line members by including some angular sections as well. So I didn't want something exactly like the vehicles, nor did I want to particularly mimic the new book. In the 6th ed codex, I dislike the jet vents being up so high, and the reversed knee. So, I set to work stretching the model out to more desirable proportions, mimicking the FW head (thanks to OnceHappyBauble for determining how), and in general trying to improve upon what was there. I am a terrible sculptor, so my project was constrained by that self-imposed limitation as well. So, after a couple hours of work, here is the prototype suit:
Here is the changed model alongside a squad-mate who has not received the Captain America treatment:
So, here pictures showing the changed areas. If there is interest, the next model is about to undergo the same process and I will take care to document each step. Essentially, I rebuild the lower legs longer, I extended the arms, separated the torso, and changed out the head.
Again, special thanks to everyone noted above, the relevant suits have been linked to. These examples in particular gave me inspiration. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, I would love to hear them!