Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post#1 » Aug 30 2013 08:04

I've got an idea for a new conversion, but instead of the normal show and tell I thought that this time I would let interested parties guess at what the heck I'm putting together as I work. It will count as a unit from the codex. Here are your clues:

Main components:
Tyranid spore mines (3)
Space marine torso
Space marine pauldrons (2)
Hormagaunt talons (2)
Hormagaunt tail
Rifle (i'm thinking of using paulson gaming's infantry rifle)

Inspiration:
Discovery's Alien Planet
Disney Channel's Stepsister from Planet Weird

Guess away, or wait for more clues; there should be more within a week.
Last edited by BabaGanoosh on Sep 11 2013 09:31, edited 5 times in total.

Arch0s
Shas

Re: Mystery Conversion

Post#2 » Aug 30 2013 08:09

I can only think that it has to be one of our alien auxiliaries but, Kroot or Vespid...hmmmm.
I think I'll go with either a basic Kroot or a Kroot shaper due to the additional armor you're using for the model i.e. the shoulder pads. I'm very curious as to what the spore mines will be used for / will represent.

Good luck with it :)

Jochmann
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 30 2013 09:20

Well, one of the mines is going to be the head, I guess. The tail will replace the legs

My guess: Sniper drones

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 01 2013 09:03

Interesting guesses.

The update should clear things up a bit. Here is what things look like right now:

happy_spike
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 01 2013 10:27

warscraper drone?

TheMeanDM
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 02 2013 01:47

Ctauhulhu...? :crafty:

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 02 2013 09:50

....The suspense must be killing you all...

Is it Cthulu? Is it a sniper drone? Is it a Krootox? Is it a Riptide?

The identity will be revealed tomorrow.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Sep 02 2013 11:21

My first guess would be Vespid, but I could also see it being a Stealth Suit counts-as.
An alien auxiliary that fills the role of a Stealth Suit would be pretty slick.

Can't wait to find out!

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El

Post#9 » Sep 02 2013 11:30

I'm going to go with the Niccasar, actually. It's a floating creepy thing that looks like an armored psyker, at least to my mind. I would guess they're going to operate as sniper drones, with their psychic combat abilities standing in for the sniper drones' rapid-fire longshot pulse rifles.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 03 2013 03:49

So, credit goes to the sharp-witted Jochmann for the first correct guess: this is going to count as a sniper drone!

The clincher will be the final addition of a rifle from Paulson to the top side of the model, but it will be some time before I am ready for that step. In the meantime, here is the step-by-step build process:

The supplies:

The first cuts: the tentacles come off two spore mines, and all imperial iconagraphy and rivets come off.

The next steps are putting things together. Each metal spore mine piece is attached to the torso/pauldron sockets with a wad of green stuff and superglue. Here is the spore mine ready to go into the pauldron, the pauldron/spores ready to attach to the torso, and the all the spore mines attached to the torso. Make sure you have the back of the space amrine torso facing up, so attaching the gun will be easier later.

Next the tyranid claws and tail go on. I attach them to a wad of greenstuff, tail pointing straight back, and talons coming down at angles.

Finally, I texture the large area of greenstuff using the edge of a paperclip to give it a ripple effect, so that it looks a bit like cloth.

Afterwards, I drill a hole for the flight stand near the belt buckle on the torso.

The rifle is fitted to the top of the model, after some slight modifications. The handgrip and magazine are removed, and the top/back of the space marine torso is modified to receive the rifle.

For those interested, I am working on fluff/background for these guys as well. I'm calling them the Gepidi.

My first draft has them coming from a low-gravity world, where they float around using natural buoyancy and air jets. Their world is prone to strong, unpredictable wind storms, and the Gepidi have evolved excellent reflexes for navigating them. Off-world, they spend much of their time in Air Caste orbital cities, where they enjoy an environment similar to their homeworld. In high-gravity environments they use gravitic harnesses designed by the Earth Caste, which augment their natural buoyancy and agility. Their naturally keen sense of depth-perception and three-dimensional space makes them very dextrous, and thus fine pilots and snipers. However, they see in a limited spectrum of light that is usually not abundant on other planets. In order to take advantage of their skills, they require support from a spotter to designate and illuminate targets. These spotters usually double as markerlight bearers, since the two tasks are virtually identical.
Last edited by BabaGanoosh on Oct 12 2013 05:42, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Modelling”