Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post#1 » Aug 30 2013 08:04

I've got an idea for a new conversion, but instead of the normal show and tell I thought that this time I would let interested parties guess at what the heck I'm putting together as I work. It will count as a unit from the codex. Here are your clues:

Main components:
Tyranid spore mines (3)
Space marine torso
Space marine pauldrons (2)
Hormagaunt talons (2)
Hormagaunt tail
Rifle (i'm thinking of using paulson gaming's infantry rifle)

Inspiration:
Discovery's Alien Planet
Disney Channel's Stepsister from Planet Weird

Guess away, or wait for more clues; there should be more within a week.
Last edited by BabaGanoosh on Sep 11 2013 09:31, edited 5 times in total.

Arch0s
Shas

Re: Mystery Conversion

Post#2 » Aug 30 2013 08:09

I can only think that it has to be one of our alien auxiliaries but, Kroot or Vespid...hmmmm.
I think I'll go with either a basic Kroot or a Kroot shaper due to the additional armor you're using for the model i.e. the shoulder pads. I'm very curious as to what the spore mines will be used for / will represent.

Good luck with it :)

Jochmann
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 30 2013 09:20

Well, one of the mines is going to be the head, I guess. The tail will replace the legs

My guess: Sniper drones

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 01 2013 09:03

Interesting guesses.

The update should clear things up a bit. Here is what things look like right now:

happy_spike
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 01 2013 10:27

warscraper drone?

TheMeanDM
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 02 2013 01:47

Ctauhulhu...? :crafty:

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 02 2013 09:50

....The suspense must be killing you all...

Is it Cthulu? Is it a sniper drone? Is it a Krootox? Is it a Riptide?

The identity will be revealed tomorrow.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Sep 02 2013 11:21

My first guess would be Vespid, but I could also see it being a Stealth Suit counts-as.
An alien auxiliary that fills the role of a Stealth Suit would be pretty slick.

Can't wait to find out!

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#9 » Sep 02 2013 11:30

I'm going to go with the Niccasar, actually. It's a floating creepy thing that looks like an armored psyker, at least to my mind. I would guess they're going to operate as sniper drones, with their psychic combat abilities standing in for the sniper drones' rapid-fire longshot pulse rifles.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 03 2013 03:49

So, credit goes to the sharp-witted Jochmann for the first correct guess: this is going to count as a sniper drone!

The clincher will be the final addition of a rifle from Paulson to the top side of the model, but it will be some time before I am ready for that step. In the meantime, here is the step-by-step build process:

The supplies:

The first cuts: the tentacles come off two spore mines, and all imperial iconagraphy and rivets come off.

The next steps are putting things together. Each metal spore mine piece is attached to the torso/pauldron sockets with a wad of green stuff and superglue. Here is the spore mine ready to go into the pauldron, the pauldron/spores ready to attach to the torso, and the all the spore mines attached to the torso. Make sure you have the back of the space amrine torso facing up, so attaching the gun will be easier later.

Next the tyranid claws and tail go on. I attach them to a wad of greenstuff, tail pointing straight back, and talons coming down at angles.

Finally, I texture the large area of greenstuff using the edge of a paperclip to give it a ripple effect, so that it looks a bit like cloth.

Afterwards, I drill a hole for the flight stand near the belt buckle on the torso.

The rifle is fitted to the top of the model, after some slight modifications. The handgrip and magazine are removed, and the top/back of the space marine torso is modified to receive the rifle.

For those interested, I am working on fluff/background for these guys as well. I'm calling them the Gepidi.

My first draft has them coming from a low-gravity world, where they float around using natural buoyancy and air jets. Their world is prone to strong, unpredictable wind storms, and the Gepidi have evolved excellent reflexes for navigating them. Off-world, they spend much of their time in Air Caste orbital cities, where they enjoy an environment similar to their homeworld. In high-gravity environments they use gravitic harnesses designed by the Earth Caste, which augment their natural buoyancy and agility. Their naturally keen sense of depth-perception and three-dimensional space makes them very dextrous, and thus fine pilots and snipers. However, they see in a limited spectrum of light that is usually not abundant on other planets. In order to take advantage of their skills, they require support from a spotter to designate and illuminate targets. These spotters usually double as markerlight bearers, since the two tasks are virtually identical.
Last edited by BabaGanoosh on Oct 12 2013 05:42, edited 5 times in total.

Biddo
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Mystery Conversion: Sniper Drones

Post#11 » Sep 03 2013 04:40

really nice work man! It looks cool and the fluff you have come up with is great. I like the bit about how they need the spotters because of how they see in a limited spectrum of light. Really nice way to tie the fluff and the use of spotter models in the sniper unit together.
Want your crisis suits to have hands? try my guide

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Mystery Conversion: "Sniper Drones"

Post#12 » Sep 04 2013 09:23

Gepidi Background

Physiology and Natural History

The Gepidi evolved on a relatively low-gravity world, where many animals are capable of limited or full-fledged flight. Some spend their entire lives in the air, using lighter-than-air gases for lift. The Gepidi are evolved to spend most of their lives airborne, touching down only to feed or shelter from violent wind-storms. The Gepidi have four main buoyancy chambers: two on the sides and one on the front of their body, and a larger one running along the central axis of their body. Thrusters are attached to the small buoyancy chambers,and are the primary source of natural locomotion for the Gepidi. These thrusters are also used for communication, and are capable of trumpeting as loud as 200 decibels (to the chagrin of any non-Gepidi in the area).

The Gepidi use several tentacles dangling from the front of their body to manipulate food and tools, the majority of which are delicate and thin, and one of which is relatively strong. They are excellent toolmakers, using their many thin tentacles for fine adjustment and control. The Gepidi also have excellent reflexes and depth perception, evolved in the unforgiving aerial environment of their homeworld. They excell at maneuvering through dizzying mazes of obstacles, and react very quickly to incoming threats. Their skills translate well to piloting ships as well as marksmanship on the battlefield.

The Gepidi see through a series of sensors running along the center frontal bouyancy chamber, which operate on similar principles to normal eyes, but are not easily recognized as such. The frontal buoyancy chamber is often mistaken for a Gepidi’s head, but the Gepidi have no structure that other species would consider a head. Their central nervous system is centralized in their body; a configuration the Gepidi consider natural and superior to the relatively exposed brains of other species. The Gepidi’s eyesight is largely dependant on a narrow band of Ultraviolet light that is abundant on their homeworld but is usually scarce on other planets, and they often require special illumination to navigate other environments.

The Gepidi have male and female sexes roughly analogous to those of other species. The proportion of males to females in a typical Gepidi population is 1:10. Males are usually smaller than females, with relatively long pelvic talons. Females lay naturally buoyant eggs, which they anchor to the males. Eggs are laid one at a time, but can be laid up to four times a year. Hatchlings are mature one year after birth, learning language skills very quickly. Gepidi have a relatively short lifespan however, usually only living half as long as a typical Tau.

Culture

Gepidi trace descent patrilineally, and the primary social unit is an extended clan. The eldest male ancestor is the nominal head of each clan, with subgroups headed by males beneath him. Males traditionally held leadership roles in early Gepidi cities and Nations until the Gepidi industrial age, during which female Gepidi won equal standing. Consequently, most Gepidi currently in leadership positions are female.

Many species find the Gepidi difficult to converse with, even though they are able to speak in a variety of languages including Tau. Gepidi think, act and speak more quickly than most species, and both sides often end up frustrated; the Gepidi for having to wait for other species to catch up with them, while other species find it difficult to keep up with the Gepidi. The Tau water case are notable exceptions in this regard.

History

The Gepidi were relatively advanced when first contact was made with the Tau empire. Their planet was controlled by three political alliances, each of which was vying for control of the planet. They had expanded to several other planets in their solar system, and had established rival colonies, scientific outposts and military installations.

The Tau Empire made contact with the Gepidi late in the First Sphere of Expansion, and at first, the Water caste was optimistic about the peaceful incorporation of the Gepidi people into the Tau Empire. On an individual basis, the Gepidi seemed to be excellent candidates for citizenship, but negotiations were extremely strained by the need to deal with three different nations of Gepidi. At one point during negotiations, a Tau envoy vessel was attacked and destroyed by a Gepidi ship. The Water caste was able to hold the Fire caste at bay, attempting to prevent an all-out war they thought was unnecessary, but within a day of the attack, the three Gepidi nations were at war with each other after a brief period of accusation and recrimination.

The Water caste reluctantly stood aside as the Fire Caste began operations attempting to end the Gepidi conflict. But after only a few strikes in the Gepidi system and on their homeworld, the Fire caste discovered that the Gepidi had stopped fighting each other far sooner than they had expected: they had in fact united against the Tau. The Water caste, who had become used to the capricious Gepidi, were disappointed but not surprised.

The resultant war of conquest was hard-fought. The Tau had a significant technological advantage but found fighting in the alien environment of the Gepidi homeworld disorienting. The Fire caste forces fighting in the Gepidi system had only been issued a few modern battlesuits, and were still using V-series and even a few T-series battlesuits, which struggled against the highly mobile Gepidi. Eventually, the Tau defeated the militaries of the Gepidi nations and wrestled control of the system away from the defiant Gepidi.

The Gepidi, as they are prone to do, adapted quickly to life in the Tau Empire. Within a few generations, all traces of resistance had disappeared from the Gepidi and they became content, productive members of the Tau Empire. Within a few more generations, Gepidi were serving alongside the Tau as auxiliaries.

In the Empire

The Gepidi home system is part of the Dal’yth sept, but Gepidi colonists have spread throughout the empire. The Gepidi are often found among Air caste orbital stations, where they enjoy a gravity similar to their own world’s. Gepidi working alongside Tau wear gravitic harnesses developed by the Earth caste, which act against local gravity to allow the Gepidi to move naturally. The harness is also used to augment movement, which the Gepidi enjoy greatly.

Gepidi often serve in the Tau military as pilots, scouts and sharpshooters. Their highly honed reflexes and natural dexterity are their best assets, but they are often handicapped by a limited range of vision. This is usually corrected with artificial optics, but in order to properly harness the natural Gepidi dexterity, they must use their own natural sensors, and special UV light must be provided to illuminate targets.

Ralai'y
Fio

Post#13 » Sep 08 2013 04:16

Hello,
I think that the Gepidi look and sound very interesting, but i have a couple of questions:
-Am I right in thinking that the SM originating parts are the harness of the Gepidi?
-What is the colour scheme of the Gepidi? (if possible, a picture of the finished product)
-Will they have the same rules as Sniper Drones, or will they differ?

Thank you for your time. :biggrin:
Tau'va.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Sep 08 2013 03:07

Ralai'y wrote:Hello,
I think that the Gepidi look and sound very interesting, but i have a couple of questions:
-Am I right in thinking that the SM originating parts are the harness of the Gepidi?
-What is the colour scheme of the Gepidi? (if possible, a picture of the finished product)
-Will they have the same rules as Sniper Drones, or will they differ?

Thank you for your time. :biggrin:

I'm glad you're interested! It's hard to tell how many people read background fluff; I'm glad somebody did.

The SM torso parts are indeed the gravitic harness, combined with combat armor for the Gepidi warriors.

I am still trying to come up with a color scheme for the Gepidi. My primary inspiration came from Alien Planet, so I would like to use something similar to the colors used in that. So that would probably mean dark colors with some sort of bright highlights. I like naturalistic coloration, but I do want to show that these guys are alien. I've got two Gepidi assembled and base-coated, but at this point I am still working on it.

And yes; I will be using sniper drone rules for these models. They are written and designed to function like and share the physical dimensions of sniper drones on the tabletop. I have also thought about using them as Vespid, but sniper drones are a better fit, strictly speaking. If I were to author my own rules for these guys, they would differ significantly from sniper drones. Gepidi would probably have a lower toughness than drones, for example. But I don't stray into that territory much.

Ralai'y
Fio

Post#15 » Sep 09 2013 01:16

If I may suggest some of my ideas for painting, as painting is really the thing I like the most. (http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20219)
I was thinking the gravitic harness would have to be of the colour of the armour of the rest of your troops (like Vespid), as the cloth at the back the colour of the fatigues of your army.
Also, you might like to incorporate some decals on the armour with the fire caste symbole, etc...
Tau'va.

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Sep 11 2013 09:17

I got my shipment of infantry rifles from Paulson yesterday, so I finished assembly on the first two prototypes and started painting. Here's what the Gepidi/sniper drone counts-as are looking like:

Sorry; not the greatest picture! But you should get the idea of what the final product will look like. The armor coloring matches the rest of my Cadre; the Gepidi skin will be a dark-base with purple markings I think. The tentacles, thrusters, and head-scales (their eyes), are going to be colored differently. I tried putting a decal on one of the shoulders but there isn't enough flat space for it to work well. I'll probably be adding some grays, whites, and maybe some blue energy effect to the rifles.

Other than that, I just have to scrounge up enough shoulder pauldrons and space marine torsos, and I have enough spores to make a total of six of these guys.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post#17 » Sep 11 2013 06:01

I really like your idea. The organic parts are all good choices and I had a suspicion as I read down the thread, this is how you would use them. I like the use of the chest piece; when modified out of context it is actually hard to spot as a marine torso.

My only critique would be this, even though you chose the unique and detailed mechanicus shoulder pads - a space marine pauldron is a very iconic thing; so much so I can help but notice them in this build.

I'm wracking my head for a replacement suggestion - but for now; I personally, cannot look paste a floating alien that has scavenged marine shoulders. :neutral:

You could perhaps play down the shoulders by not highlighting the rim embossing? Make it less obvious?

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Sniper Drone Auxiliaries: "Gepidi"

Post#18 » Sep 11 2013 06:26

Tael wrote:I really like your idea. The organic parts are all good choices and I had a suspicion as I read down the thread, this is how you would use them. I like the use of the chest piece; when modified out of context it is actually hard to spot as a marine torso.

My only critique would be this, even though you chose the unique and detailed mechanicus shoulder pads - a space marine pauldron is a very iconic thing; so much so I can help but notice them in this build.

I'm wracking my head for a replacement suggestion - but for now; I personally, cannot look paste a floating alien that has scavenged marine shoulders. :neutral:

You could perhaps play down the shoulders by not highlighting the rim embossing? Make it less obvious?

That is a good point, and something I was beginning to notice myself. The SM torso itself doesn't pop out, but the shoulder pads do. I am thinking about trimming off the , uh, trim. Or I might be able to replace them with stealth suit shoulders, or perhaps fire warrior shoulder armor with one end trimmed.

Return to “Modelling”