[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
De'terra
Fio'Vre

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#51 » Mar 10 2014 12:28

I have tried to go with steel rods on 3 points.
2 in the back, where the wings meet as the bulk of the weight is there.
One in the front. The big resin block that connects the cockpit with the main hull.

I used 8 mm steel rods and the front was slowly giving in.
Using more than a single rod just might impede usability of the model since you would have 4 large bases to move around.
In the end, I ended up with a plexiglass mount.

The plexiglas is glued together with "Loctite" should be a bit stronger then a regular superglue and I have had no issues at all.

For reference:

More angles in my project log if you need to see a different angle.

Best of luck!

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#52 » Mar 10 2014 12:45

Inspired, reading your work now.

"cheers" to "Semblance of Liberty"

Do you have pictures of how the loading bay functions?
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

De'terra
Fio'Vre

Post#53 » Mar 10 2014 03:54

Dropping the hanger bay with the internal hinges you mean?
Well, it's a 2 man job basically.

You have to lift the manta by the wings and then pull the top back. If the bay is held in place, that will make it slide down and you have easy access to the goodies.
The weight of that monstrocity makes it hard though.

I don't have pictures. If you see the early pictures when I cleaned it, you can view where the hinges are.
That should give you an idea of the hinge mechanisme.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#54 » Mar 11 2014 06:44

Manta -

- Missing about 50+ parts. Wrote FW, very strange. That is a little more then a mistake, probably tampered with.

happy_spike
Shas'Ui

Post#55 » Mar 11 2014 09:00

I don't know... the did give me two left legs with my R'Myr and were missing some legs and the front claws from my wife's tombstalker... Their QA doesn't seem to be very attentive. But 50+ parts is a bit suspicious. I hope forge world can resolve it for you, I've found their costumer to be slow but extremely helpful.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#56 » Mar 11 2014 09:52

Boxes land...

My table...

- The Imperial Knight in the PIC was a real joy to build. Very very cool model.
- Manta was short about 50+ items. FW, I hope your CS is still as helpful as before.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#57 » Mar 14 2014 08:36

FW thinks they left a box out and are working with me to get the missing parts.

- Started working on the big items. Cutting, shaving, trimming, and thinking if I should saw some of the parts cause clipping might leave a deep spot.
- All parts are slippery with mold sauce. Need to give the whole thing a bath after prepping.
- 4 tanks, 8 XV8's, and 12 drones are kinda funny to look at while building the manta. They scream build me...
- READ every thing you can about Manta building. I am going to pre-paint the gunners and some of the other block off points while I wait for my parts from FW.
? How long will this take? I can not even ball park guess.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#58 » Mar 14 2014 09:49

Vay wrote:FW thinks they left a box out and are working with me to get the missing parts.

- Started working on the big items. Cutting, shaving, trimming, and thinking if I should saw some of the parts cause clipping might leave a deep spot.
- All parts are slippery with mold sauce. Need to give the whole thing a bath after prepping.
- 4 tanks, 8 XV8's, and 12 drones are kinda funny to look at while building the manta. They scream build me...
- READ every thing you can about Manta building. I am going to pre-paint the gunners and some of the other block off points while I wait for my parts from FW.
? How long will this take? I can not even ball park guess.

From what I've heard from stories on the web it can take anywhere between 2-6 months depending on your schedule and the headache of making sure things fit together.

Nevar
Shas'Vre

Post#59 » Mar 14 2014 01:05

I want so much!

$1500 is a bit out of my price range unfortunately. Maybe my tax return. =P

My main question for you Vay, is warping going to be a main issue with a Manta? Or is really just clean up and prep work?

Second, are the included XV-8s forgeworld variants or just XV-8 kits? I do need a bunch more XV-8s for my enclaves anyways... Pictures of the included suits and bonus models would be a plus since it's hard to find images of those sprues on the interwebs.

Basically, if you could provide some clear images of everything included in the model kit, it would help folks like me better understand if we can handle this kit in our current situation. I know making room on a desk to work on it might be an issue already. =D

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#60 » Mar 14 2014 05:25

This is a zoom, these are the suits, tanks, and drones. They are normal XV8's, 2 Dfish, 2 Hammer heads, and 12 gun drones. (Suits are barely on it, but they are the normal one sheet print)
updated on next post
of

As to warping, (so far at a glance) I have zero Major warp issues that I can see.
- 3 items need minor hot water bending. Very minor.
That being said, there are so many sliding and oddly joining parts that there might be a minor warp I am not seeing that will feel like a major warp when i get to it.

Clear pictures on the way.

Return to “Common Workbench”