[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vay
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#61 » Mar 15 2014 11:45

Parts being worked now.

And a Zoom of the suits.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#62 » Mar 15 2014 07:10

I seriously hope you have an airbrush to paint that baby...I would love one if they weren't so...impractical!

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#63 » Mar 17 2014 10:43

So I wrote a follow up to FW. To be continued...
- I found dried blood on one of my parts(Not my blood). Odd, but I know the pattern well. The mold guy probably got a good thumb gash.
- I am reviewing the best way to cut/grind off the "large" mold feeds. They are very large and thick, and my jeweler saw seems a pinch light for the job. To be continued...
- 2 hours of work later, 2.5 clean parts and a floor of resin foot destroyers. My hobby room is now dangerous terrain.
- I am pretty sure you can kill some one clipping a small feeder off. (Clip, PEW...pew pew pew)

What is the agreed color scheme for inside of Tau transports? I was going to go with white, silver grating, and blue/red highlights and panels. Or follow "Firewarrior" pallet inside their Orca.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#64 » Mar 17 2014 05:52

- SKIL 9216-01 120-Volt 9-Amp Reciprocating Saw, check
- Bosch Power Sander, Check
- Nerve to use "power tools" on the manta...
- Holy cow, Resin death cloud...
- Wicked looking gas mask, check
- Goggles, check
- Not adding my own blood to the manta, To be continued...

E'nigma
Shas

Post#65 » Mar 17 2014 06:49

Vay wrote:- SKIL 9216-01 120-Volt 9-Amp Reciprocating Saw, check
- Bosch Power Sander, Check
- Nerve to use "power tools" on the manta...
- Holy cow, Resin death cloud...
- Wicked looking gas mask, check
- Goggles, check
- Not adding my own blood to the manta, To be continued...

LMAO! I'm loving these nice little updates. Keep it up! :biggrin:

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#66 » Mar 17 2014 09:22

- Old tool joining the team, Dremel with micro saw. (for Reciprocating Saw pre-cuts)
- All purpose blades are less controllable. Use Metal cutting blades. don't use wood. (for Reciprocating Saw)
- Power sanding is a must.

I have always wondered when that "Forge world resin dust" issue would come along. I always stayed away from power tools and faithfully followed the path of clippers and razors (ok, and a drill). The Manta on the other hand does not care for my mortal implements. A Reciprocating Saw is a god send when taking on the large feeder blocks and so is the power sander. That said, you would die with the amount of dust I am kicking out. Please use a mask (and goggles).

- Main cockpit, gunning bay, left and right main center section, left and right wings, and 2 running seats are finished.
- No word from FW...
Last edited by Vay on Mar 18 2014 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre

Post#67 » Mar 17 2014 09:51

Vay wrote:I have always wondered when that "Forge world resin dust" issue would come along. I always stayed away form power tools and faithfully followed the path of clippers and razors (ok, and a drill). The Manta on the other hand does not care for my mortal implements. A Reciprocating Saw is a god send when taking on the large feeder blocks and so is the power sander. That said, you would die with the amount of dust I am kicking out. Please use a mask (and goggles).

Seconded. That stuff can be nasty. A manta may or may not be worth the money and time spent on it, but sanding resin without proper protection is definitely NOT worth it.

Looking forward to some more WIP pictures!

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#68 » Mar 18 2014 11:35

Updated parts:

Power tools:

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#69 » Mar 18 2014 11:40

It is always nice to see a large project coming together - keep up the good work.

On the resin dust, here is an excerpt from the FW Working with resin pdf available here
Forge World wrote:Dust Mask
The resin that we use has no inherent health risks, but we do recommend
a dust mask if you are filing or sanding – as with any fine substance, resin
dust can be an irritant.

I use an old S10 respirator. If it works for chemical warfare then it must work for resin dust ;)
Try to do major work outside if you can and weather permits.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#70 » Mar 18 2014 12:51

You can see my mask in one of those photos. I also like their PDF, very good read before you work with resin for the first time.

So... UPDATES!!!

- With the purchase of one phone card, I was treated to the wonderful and helpful voice of FW CS. It turns out my original shipment box weights were mislabeled. As we speak, FW is casting my parts for me (Mmmm, fresh cast parts, Mmmmm) and working to insure all of my missing items are sent express shipping to me (No additional charge).
- FW CS voice and knowledge of the situation actually did make me happy.
- Interesting note, the delay in response was them cross checking UPS, shipper, and their books to confirm numbers.

~ Mmmmmmm Manta parts fresh off the FW cookie sheet. Not sure why that sounds so amazing, but it does.

+1,000,001 CS points to FW from my Farsight Cadre.

Return to “Common Workbench”