[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vay
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#231 » Jan 07 2016 11:20

Operations replay of Shas'O Kais forces IVO Damocles Gulf Crusade.
(Mission 1 - Kais works with Shadowsun on bait trap)
(Mission images and support to follow 1000 points)
Comp: Secret until post operations.

------
Currant plan is to play all of the mission as we can. Holidays tried to kill me, but I am back at the table working again. We are also close to the end of our Tournament play period. Very close across the board. I have played mostly the new Super formation with a hunter cadre plus an axi (tried a lot of them).

Overall I think Tau are still rockstar strong, but man the field can be so varied and complicated. TAC list design gets harder and harder.

Sadly the Supremacy suit is our most hated. The Manta and him sit in the legends of Tau category among foes. The 128 seems to be grudgingly accepted as not completely like a shower in prison. Now whats funny is that if the opponent is Elder, all of this is not true (all of our stuff seems ok and almost needed). Tau are one of the only armies in our group to fair at all well against currant gen Eldar.
(Played a XV8 and two supremacy suits vs a "@$%@$' load of wraithknights and eldar trickery. OMG bloody battle, which we only barely pulled out. 1 Very dead SS suit and one near death at end.)

New best general purpose unit: Tau firewarrior + drone turret are very strong these days. Min squad plus turret.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#232 » Jan 08 2016 10:59

Operations replay of Shas'O Kais forces IVO Damocles Gulf Crusade.
(Mission 1 - Kais works with Shadowsun on bait trap)
Tau - 1 commander (raven), 3 FW, 1 Pathfinder, 1 XV8, 1 128, 1 Shadowsun, 1 drone squad. In a hunter cadre, command, and Auxi.
Boosted a tidewall defense network.
Foe - Th kahn, 6 plasma heavy 3 man bike teams, 3 speeders.
1000 VS 1000

Deployment:
I have to deploy center. The tidewall takes up a ton of space. I also have to put half my force in reserves.
Thoughts: O dear god this might hurt.

Khan deployment. he deploys all but the khan on the corners (he has to deploy form corners). 2 3 man bike teams and a speeder per corner.
Thoughts: He took the worst possible thing and he is going to stomp the ground with my face.

Scout move: they all get 12 inches closer.
Thoughts: and now it smells like tau poop.

Turn one: no night fight, no steal.

Khan: Moves even closer. They are on the walls or over them. It looks very bad. Shooting stops and the 128 is at 3 wounds. I got very very lucky. 12 plasma shots, 18 rending strength 6 shots and a lot of bolters.

Tau: Everything thing I have shoots in all directions and I ask the doc to go find body bags. Everything but one speeder and a 2 bikes die. You think a win right? nope, the special rule on this map is if i kill it he can get it back on ongoing reserves if it was a bike or speeder. 800 points killed, 800 points coming back next turn.

Turn 2: It sinks in how not good this fight is about to go and I get ready to start filling some of the bags the doc got with my Tau.

Khan: The Khan does not show (thank god). All of his forces come back and the only saving grace is they are not in rapid fire this time. Seeing how much damage the 128 did, he continues to be the main target. At the end of shooting and assault the 128 is down to 1 wound.

Tau: I get all of my reserves. Shadowsun and her partner the XV8 show up on the long edge and target bikes, the drones show up and take a enemy deployment corner hoping to tie it up, and the other FW teams run from the other side hoping to make the defense line while shooting at the Spacemarine bike-nado to their right.

Thoughts: I am going to die next round, time to make peace and be a good sport.

Tau shooting: about mid shooting I see a glimmer in the darkness. I am doing enough damage I could whip his forces. I never even thought about that, or really had hope at this point of seeing a win. The 1000 point force regeneration was blindingly daunting.

Thoughts: excitement and hope.

I had saved the 128 for last and mapped out his rounds carefully. Enough firepower per target left to give me good odds of success. And sure enough, down to the last multi-rocket cluster came the last Spacemarine armor save.

Had but one Marine made a save, all of his force would have been coming down the hill again and the 128 was not going to see another round of living through that.

Lessons learned: I was dumb for taking the formations I took. MSU and the nature of the mission almost made me lose all my forces on the open ground. XV88's and more small units would have boosted my chances a ton. Also formations with abilities I could use would have helped.
I had not points for EWO and not enough things to use it. But EWO would have been a god send.
This mission is wicked hard, if you play it as Tau make sure you go in with big boy pants that are brown.
There was no reason for my commander to go raven. Points would have been far better spent on one more shooter.

All in all, I had a ton of fun. The emotional roller-coaster pared with how much like the books it played out was a blast.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#233 » Jan 08 2016 05:43

Great report - though certainly an odd layout for the battle with the close in nature of the attack. Clearly was good fun though!

Vay
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge - stormsurge canopy

Post#234 » Jan 24 2016 06:56

Comes off, will be magnetized, and let's crew still fit. Designed for special missions that require a closed crew area. Painted pics to follow.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#235 » Jan 25 2016 02:51

What you need:
Miliput white
Drimel tool
Razor knife
No stick agent spray
Balsa wood (1/4) inch works great
A 128 kit with the front plate still able to be removed.

Steps to design a canopy.

Pre step: do not glue the front of the 128 on. Use two mini dots of good glue to bind the upper edges together. Enough to hold, but also enough that you can pop that connection later.

1: Balsa wood. Cut a center beam and align it to the space across the laps of the 2 pilots but below the top of the outer edge.
2: Cut small sections of balsa and build up the "empty" space you want below the canopy.
3: After you have blocked out the inside, cut the edges a bit to make sure you can make the design you want off the balsa skeleton.
4: Spray area and wood with a nonstick agent. I used the same spray I use for molds and casting works.
5: let dry 30 min+
6: I used Milliput white. If you read more on this Project log you will see where I fell in love with milliput white during the manta project. I cut about an inch from both logs. (More then was needed, but I used the extra on the base)
7: Hand mix, then tear off small portions. Roll them into logs and press them until you have made the outer rim. Use water and Q-tips to help smooth and clean areas. A razor and molding tool help as well.
8: Make 2 egg shapes and smooth out the domes.
9: Spend a lot of time making it look and feel about 90% right. You can sand out the last 10%
10: Wait 8 hours.
11: Carefully pop the 128 front off. Then lift off the canopy. Your no binding agent and balsa skeleton should make this very easy. If there is sticking, take your time removing.
12: Use a knife and cut out slowly the balsa. It is a soft wood, and the no bind agent will make the last parts come out with ease.
13: Get out a Drimel tool. use a sanding tip and edge off what ever you do not want on the inside. Temp place the pilots and see if you have the clearance. If not slowly work out head space. Do not do fast or you could breach the top.
14: On the top, get a fine to super find sanding paper and clean the surface to match your taste. Though wet miliput white already starts pretty smooth.

From here magnet choice and additions are still in the works. I will continue a project log on it. Glad people like it. I thought it was something people wanted to see, but many went about it differently then the picture in my head.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#236 » Jan 25 2016 07:38

redtide
Shas

Post#237 » Jan 26 2016 02:08

Beautiful work man! Thanks for the extra pictures and detailed write-up! I personally think it should have come like this from GW or at least have this option. Can't wait to see this painted! :biggrin:

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#238 » Jan 30 2016 12:17

Stage 1 paint... Field test.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#239 » Feb 05 2016 03:43

Our Codex + Damocles Gulf Crusade boosts is probably the most Tau (in feel and play) that we have ever been. (My opinion)

From the days of our first codex, through the ages of losing items and models to rules changing, into the era of the codex creep, after the fall of the vehicle (rules/Multitracker), and into the rise of the monstrous creature. Tau have been on a roller coaster. I always have painted and played my Tau with an authentic approach to their past and rich story. For example, my armor has markings and force structure of a armored interdiction cadre before that was even a formation. I love that they built these classic Tau doctrine formations for us. But the best part is how the combined decurion tau formations let us play models that rarely see the fight (Vespid, FW, PF, DST,...)

For those who have not played it, the decurion tau is the best way to train and play for both the new and old Tau player. You can sample ALL (really, all!) of the Tau line (but ForgeWorld unless Cad) and still feel like you have a good TAC list. It uses all of our sync'ed fighting style and rewards combined fires. It is strong, even when made out of far weaker sub parts.

So far the units I am most impressed with:

Stormsurge - with ML or with out, this unit far exceed my original stance on how good it would or could be. He is the Tau knight class, and very rewarding to play (both weapons).

Riptide wing formation - also far exceeded my first thoughts. Raven supported in a decurion tau formations makes it even better (Crazy good even)

I know this is just my field update. But I really do love where we are at as a race and army. I used to love blood angels and lost a lot of faith after their last codex robbed them of their "flavor". Then GW goes and doubles down on ours. I have high hopes for the FW IA sync that will be in the future, but even now we are tied into the "universe fight" after Damocles.

Last note, I also love that Farsight (my favorite Tau Character) is back in the fold. He has had a rough journey from first codex to now. But survived well after the supplement change to main codex.

If there is a formation or unit you want me to try, let me know. I have been trying almost every formation in the new codex and really enjoy relearning how our new and old mix with the new rules we have.

Shas'O Kais

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#240 » Feb 22 2016 07:56

128 upgrade, development continues.
- Fully modular layout. Check
- All options. Check
- Close combat upgrades. Check
- Armored canopy. Check