[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vay
Shas'Ui

[Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#1 » Nov 06 2013 01:39

Root word - Exocoetidae

This is a high speed version of the D-Fish designed to reach the battle field at the flying speed of the Orca.

Its aerodynamic frame modification and stabilizers allow it to "Skim" the surface of the planet on a near zero gravity well.
As the Fire caste likened it to skipping a rock, if the rock had super charged rockets strapped to it.

So while not true flight, a pilot could navigate the map of the planet via global terrain data and planned jump points. Once at the front line, the Exo-Tide functions very closely to the D-fish with no significant loss of maneuverability.
This modification also allows for outer orbit via space craft and HALO Manta deployment, as the speed allows the Exo-Tide to fall even with the gravity of the planet.

Cost, crew reduction to 6. There are heavy weapon version in research that will attempt to replicate the Hammerhead with like capability.

Earth caste manufacturer point - Farsight Colony XII "Taros II"

A test version will be completed by the earth caste within the week for actual combat fielding.
Last edited by Vay on Feb 11 2014 09:06, edited 3 times in total.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Vash
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Exo-Tide RV1 (AKA the Flying Fish)

Post#2 » Nov 06 2013 03:43

Loving that design.
The weapons on the sides/front I would try to put on supporting struts or something. Welded directly to the hull gives the earth case engineers a hard time to repair them when they get damaged or need to reach some parts behind the weapons (inside the hull).

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 06 2013 08:04

Equipped with test drones, the Exo-Tide prepares for first test flights after a tier one earth caste paint job. Tier two after weapons test.

All body in Air Caste night attack pattern. Inside in Earth Caste white pattern. All doors and seals operational.

Cleared for take off to flight test ground.

Megildur
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 06 2013 08:48

:eek: That is incredibly cool. Very well executed and a good step by step to boot. We are very impressed with the Earth Caste's work. My hunter Cadres' are already begging to be the first to try them out!

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 07 2013 01:10

Exo-Tide field test in city ruins was successful.

Alpha team reached objective red and evacuated before enemy could respond thanks to the Exo-Tide.

Farsight-AI drone "Door man" - reports 98% accuracy rating for 2100KM/H map of the earth navigation. It seems rocket drone 2 was hit by a bird...

Jefffar
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Nov 07 2013 08:16

Very nice looking. I might suggest that the beam guns on the old wing positions don't stand out enough. A differential paint job or slightly longer guns would probably be better.

Another thought would be what would happen if you mated the Sunshark and Devilfish kits somehow.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Nov 07 2013 09:06

I was thinking the the front "beam" weapons would actually work like a laser guided Air-burst Fragmentation Projectile shot. The main beam from the front sights locks a target,and either AFP chamber would launch a micro AI guided round that shotguns into the target (So it would function like a burst cannon, but look different. You can draw LOS to the main under sight like a BC as well)

By doing that it keeps the functionality of the D-fish, baring the shift of the drone site back to the rear.

If you have any pictures of what you think would work. I can not think of any options that would stay in the tau style.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 08 2013 10:16

Weapons and field test.
The Exo-Tide had some odd stats in this combat. 0 weapons fired, 83 human zombies killed. Our earth caste workers just replaced the whole engine system and detonated the old ones. They were pleased to note the efficiency that a Tau engine could suck in and crap out bio mass. Skull shaped dents were also hammered out of the front grill and the whole front optic system had to be replaced.

Also of note, the disruption pattern works very well at distorting images.

Pandorax war zone - Taking the hive city.

Image provided by Tiger shark flying over head.

---image edit---

Now for paint tier 2...
Last edited by Vay on Jan 01 2014 12:15, edited 3 times in total.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Nov 08 2013 11:08

Excellent work on this model, and a very streamlined build - I like it.

I would say that a Frag Projector doesn't seem like a great idea for a vehicle that may need to intercept enemy vehicles as it moves to its objective. It'd be hard to fire it correctly when moving quickly if said target is also a fast mover. Perhaps the weapon is instead some sort of guided missile system a la the SMS, but with lesser AI in the missiles to allow them to more rapidly react to close range threats. Perhaps they're even a kind of weaponised hard kill chaff pod?

But please, don't do an image with artificial chromatic aberration and blurring like that. It doesn't suit the vision of a high-tech war machine, and it really, really hurts my eyes and makes it impossible to look at your model in action.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 08 2013 11:38

I like the SMS fast missile. It is very fragile in transport to the target to Aircraft interdiction. Speed and proximity to the earth are its best defenses.

Also added a spoiler to hide the combat imagery from the assault. The tiger shark was out maneuvering Necron gravity waves when it captured the ground image.

Return to “Common Workbench”