[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#251 » Jun 02 2016 02:12

_
Last edited by Vay on Jun 07 2016 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#252 » Jun 06 2016 10:34

On the table:

- Reverse engineering my Supremacy Suit shoulder mounts. The goal is to develop a module option for the new shoulder mounts coming out.
- Also not to break the dam thing... Strong bond = tough unbound
- At a block for cadre development and design with the FW book looming. I love the Taros campaign and feel like this book will also enhance my cadres.

I am also on a break from the gaming boards for a bit. How this will effect my drive to paint and build is kind of an interesting debate. How is the value of a model set? If he does not see the table top, is he of full value? As a person who owns a collection of Tau, this value debate is an issue.

Do I game because I own Tau, or does owning Tau make me game?

The grey gardens:
- Thanks to some model pushes, I have 5+ kits still in boxes. I need to dig out of this before the FW book.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#253 » Jun 06 2016 10:58

Vay wrote:I am also on a break from the gaming boards for a bit. How this will effect my drive to paint and build is kind of an interesting debate. How is the value of a model set? If he does not see the table top, is he of full value? As a person who owns a collection of Tau, this value debate is an issue.

Do I game because I own Tau, or does owning Tau make me game?

Not sure how that matters. Modeling, painting and playing are all parts of the same hobby. Do what you feel like. :D

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#254 » Jun 06 2016 10:13

It matters in direct balance with what it "feels" like.

A manta is a joy to paint.
A manta is a joy to play in battle.
A manta that will never be built is not a joy.
A manta that will never see battle is not a joy.

How that balances is interesting when it is weighted with how much you own.
A full painted Tau army is a joy. But a fully painted tau army that never will see battle is sad.

Inversely a model car with no rules or back story does not have this duality. I also do not own a vast amount of very expensive model cars.

The long version of this probably is why I am taking a break. A start is inevitable.

guges
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#255 » Jun 14 2016 04:36

Your stuff is pretty incredible. You should cast that Stormsurge crew compartment canopy and start selling them. If you did that, it would push me over the edge on buying two more Stormsurges and doing the triple formation.

It's also great to see how all of the large Tau models come together. My next big purchase is probably going to be the Supremacy armor after seeing how it all stacks up. Would love to one day own a Manta, but I just don't have the space/wallet for it.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#256 » Jun 14 2016 09:29

I can look into casting it.

Supremacy suit (SS) is a very beautiful model. Very enjoyable to build and very few issues. It also functions very well on the battlefield. A lot like a warhound with a little more weapon variation.

The manta on the other hand is a very beautiful model that is stupid hard to build and any flaw in the mold will have you cursing dark gods. Saved for about 2 years to buy it, crowning item to a completed collection.

For your money, the SS is an amazing center piece for your force that is worth taking to an APOC game.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#257 » Feb 22 2017 12:39

Recovering from life bomb. Also re-learning the site layout. Hope to post soon, Glad to see the world of Tau still kicking.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#258 » Feb 27 2017 10:10

Working on a New Project:
Updating my FW team per sept setup.

Looking for new or additional info on these "new" septs -

Velk'Han, Jericho Reach Sept
-Is Velk'Han at almost 1200 people a Sept? Seems more like a task force.

Pretty sure these are not Septs:

Vas'talos, previously known as the Imperial Fortress World of Prefectia. Pretty sure this is just a world, and would fall under Mu'gulath Bay sept.
Uan'Voss, might also just be world, was saved by necrons? (Necron Codex referance)
Vesh'yo, Destroyed. Mechanicum (White dwarf)

Looking for:
Color, Sept -
Color, Armor -
Color, Fatigues -
Picture references for the Sept -

---

End of the day, I think they all fail the Sept test. This leaves me with 18 total mission capable Sept's and 19 with Farsight. Velk'Han, Jericho Reach Sept is the only possible option for 20.

Ohando
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#259 » Feb 28 2017 04:08

Just finished reading this entire thread, and i'm very impressed by all your hard work! The results are amazing, and i love all of your battle reports and unit reviews. I'm glad to see you back in the hobby and in this community and i'm looking forward to your next contributions.

Cheers!

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#260 » Feb 28 2017 10:11

Thank you, I hope to start getting some battle reports in. Was out of the area for so long I am still "cleaning" the hobby room and linking up with the old players.

Just glad GW did not model bomb the Tau while I was away. Nice to be still caught up on things. I am also glad they finished our FAQ. So many players where trying to use the FB feed before it was finalized.

I should be posting a few more fire warrior squads this week. And I hope to figure out if Jericho reach is actually a sept.

This photo suggests it might be a Tau'N Sept force. More research is needed.

Tsua'Malor (Tau Ruled World) is listed a capital world for Velk'Han Sept.

Is it me, or does the Velk'Han Sept seem to go counter codex and more human version of Tau theory.
They seem to be the reference for all sorts of inquisitor Xeno logic theory out there. Feels more and more like a writers choice then cannon.

It also looks like it has more in common to a Farsight Sept then a empire sept as it is isolated and independent of the empire. Our first non rogue Isolated sept, well second cause farsight is back on the team.

- Need to work on the Sept image from Black reef.
- Currant thought is 18 Empire Septs. 1 Farsight Sept.

Update:

White flare on sides seems like just that, a flare.

Tau'N

- Waiting for book that should have source image.

Update 2: Black Reef image (source JPEG) seals the deal on Tau'N being the Sept flag Identifying the Velk'Han Sept in the forward positions in the Black Reef.

- Thoughts are this:
- The humans think it is a full sept they are fighting.
- Battle reports show it is an effective force. (most of the conflict is with gue'vesa, forces the Tau gained from easy captured worlds in stage 1 progression)
- Tau deployed a colonizing force to the area (stage 1 sept) (not a Full sept until stage 4)
- After landing, Tau get hammered quickly by the crusade (likely in stage 2) (has a number of worlds and capital world, but still low numbers)
- Is currently showing Tau'N sept flag for locations because it is not a fully fledged sept and Tau'N funded the mission. (Full fledged means they get a full time ethereal on their capital world.)
- If Tau win the fight, it will become a full sept.
- This is like other early septs in the 1, 2, and 3rd expansion. Not all grow to full spets, avoid destruction, or avoid getting recalled.
- final stance until more data is provided. Velk'Han Sept is a scout force in the Jericho reach, that is at stage 2 but locked in extreme comabt that has halted its progress to a full sept.

- Vas'talos, previously known as the Imperial Fortress World of Prefectia. Pretty sure this is just a world, and would fall under Mu'gulath Bay sept. This is supported by thier being no refrerance in the codex, Mu'gulath Bay is in the codex.

- Uan'Voss
- Likely just the world name.
- was saved by necrons? (Necron Codex referance)
- Either failed sept (not in codex), or scouting first stage sept that failed (not in codex)
- Unknown timeline for which expansion it failed in

- Vesh'yo, Destroyed. Mechanicum (White dwarf)
- Either failed sept (not in codex), or scouting first stage sept that failed (not in codex)
- Confirmed destroyed

No longer looking for:
Color, Sept -
Color, Armor -
Color, Fatigues -
Picture references for the Sept -

Unless you find contradiction to my findings.

When I am done, Army list:
All the septs, 5 man teams with drone pods X 18 + one team leader = 1000 point list (kind of excited to get there)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#261 » Mar 02 2017 10:41

Grumble, Dal'yth sept and its dam Sept color... Got about 80% done with 1st layers and thought I remmebered something. No longer purple...

Research... grey/blue?

New codex has it in neon green?

Nope, keeping orc shade. Fenris grey as markings.

Dam color changes....

- Also cast 11 Turret bases... I will have to mod the drone tops and missiles later.
- Looking at Turret mag'ing
- 3 Septs Done

Vior'la, Sa'cea, T'au

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#262 » Mar 02 2017 11:14

New Teams:

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#263 » Mar 03 2017 04:11

I love the idea that these 3rd party characters run in there own squad/merc groups.... It has got me thinking.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#264 » Mar 03 2017 06:34

Thanks!

It came as an idea as I have collected more and more 3rd party stuff. Felt like a natural fit.

- Tau assassins are in the works!

New squad to the work: Tau'N

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#265 » Mar 05 2017 03:07

Great project idea; certainly keeps the painting lively and ideas for team leaders flowing :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#266 » Mar 05 2017 07:40

To be fair I'm thinking of pinching this idea I'd already put Big Shas in a Breacher squad but I've not made my newly acquired models yet so I've not given them much thought until now.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#267 » Mar 06 2017 10:09

D'yanoi

This was an interesting case, I did not think I would like this septs color scheme. Then when I started to paint it, I noticed it was really neat and visually enjoyable. I am excited to do some XV systems in this scheme now.
These guys got some additions to show their rustic backwater ways. More of a mixed approach to gear and less focus on tactical armor standards. Each also has a functional wakizashi for their bonding ritual. The sept earth tones really fit this army. Be a neat force on a AGRA worl defense.

- 2 more Septs to go, then first phase is done.
- Fal'shia
- Bork'an

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#268 » Mar 06 2017 12:25

Exo-Tide Update: Playing a bit of Gothic while working on some stuff warmed my Tau'Va soul to the XV 46 (parts on table and theory building in works). But it also made me think of the Exo-Tide and how it would work great for boarding actions as designed. The Tau fleet can have modified mantas for bombing runs that carry XV-46 teams. Why not also drop 4 Exo-Tides off at the same time. The Tau assault boat role.

- Parts ordered. 3 women XV-46 team will be completed in 2-3 weeks. (Evil designer laugh) (Images of FW Zone Mortalis Battlefield)

Both Exo-Tide's I have are now in retrofit and update for this roll.

Return to “Common Workbench”