[Project] Stuff from the Forge

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge

Post#73 » Mar 18 2014 01:41

You had me at Base 10 to Base 8 converter. Wicked cool. 131 is now my wing numbers. Thanks!
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

E'nigma
Shas

Post#74 » Mar 18 2014 05:49

If they happen to send you an entirely new Manta I want the extra pieces. Would be good for terrain. :crafty:

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#75 » Mar 18 2014 07:08

I would love to see a Crashed Manta theme of terrain. A few burnt trees and craters, and you'd have the best terrain ever!

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#76 » Mar 18 2014 07:14

and possibly the most expensive . . .

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#77 » Mar 18 2014 08:48

My heart hurts at the thought of such a beautiful model being destroyed so imperial skum can keep their feet off the mud.
(It would be cool terrain though, but built it will also be amazing terrain. I have used an ORCA like this as well, just park it and watch the battle build around it. Pretty cool and very cinematic.)

E'nigma
Shas

Post#78 » Mar 18 2014 10:15

Vay wrote:My heart hurts at the thought of such a beautiful model being destroyed so imperial skum can keep their feet off the mud.
(It would be cool terrain though, but built it will also be amazing terrain. I have used an ORCA like this as well, just park it and watch the battle build around it. Pretty cool and very cinematic.)

Mine does too. I've had friends make big orders and when something was missing or miscast they would send a new kit all together as it was cheaper for them to do. I don't know what they might do with a Manta though. If you do get a whole new kit at least the extras parts won't be going to waste if you do use them as terrain.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#79 » Mar 18 2014 10:33

They are recasting every piece for me. So I doubt they will make more then they have too.
(Mmmmm, fresh cast manta parts, Mmmmmm)
And I would feel bad if they did. They have been VERY helpful.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#80 » Mar 19 2014 04:24

This is great news, last thing is to have such a modelling project stalled! :eek:

- Tael.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#81 » Mar 19 2014 05:43

The Manta map would very much be an, "if I won the lottery" deal. I wouldnt' spend £960 on sweet terrain, but I'm tempted now to look into getting the schematics from my Taros book, and scratch building parts!

Imagine The Relic being an injured Aun, with a Tau Cadre being immobilised to retrieve him from his escape pod in the wreckage, while Orks close in to loot/Imperials close in to interrogate/Eldar try to capture him for their mysterious purposes, etc, etc.

It would be much more fluffy than the usual, "rumble in an Imperial City." Though maybe a Black Hawk Down scenario, with the Manta wreckage intermingled with ruined city terrain would be even cooler...hmmm...

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#82 » Mar 20 2014 12:42

- Right deck rotary mount required water bending. Minor adjustment = pain.
- Rear deck and door mounts, Wha?...? This is really hard to know if I am doing it right with out some of the parts.
- Pinning... $#$@%#@% I feel like I must, dam you pinning!!!

+ power sander and saw... I owe them a beer.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#83 » Mar 20 2014 04:02

- 100% of currant parts clean.
- Issues:
-- Join points for the mid upper deck. There "seems" to be a miss alignment, but with out some parts I can not easily align them.
-- Water heated the ramp and ramp under mount.
-- Minor wing edge molding issue. Not sure how much this might make suck later.

Smoked, covered in resin, and sadly not super happy at the stage I am at. Missing the parts is now why I must stop, which sucks. The alignment issues might not be that bad, but they will bug me until the parts arrive.

- No bleeding failed, 6-7 little hand cuts from sharp resin edges. Here is your blood Khorne.
Last edited by Vay on Jul 14 2014 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

E'nigma
Shas

Post#84 » Mar 20 2014 05:31

Vay wrote:- 100% of currant parts clean.
- Issues:
-- Join points for the mid upper deck. There "seems" to be a miss alignment, but with out some parts I can not easily align them.
-- Water heated the ramp and ramp under mount.
-- Minor wing edge molding issue. Not sure how much this might make suck later.

Smoked, covered in resin, and sadly not super happy at the stage I am at. Missing the parts is now why I must stop, which sucks. The alignment issues might not be that bad, but they will bug me until the parts arrive.

- No bleeding failed, 6-7 little hand cuts form sharp resin edges. Here is your blood Khorne.

Can't say a Forgeworld model is complete without a little blood loss. My Tigershark with nose art bit me a couple of times and I can't say it wasn't for the better. Four Apocalypse games survived, two of which with 1-2 hull points left. The R'varna on the other hand is 0-2 for surviving, and not making up it's points both times. Without the blood they won't perform! :P

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#85 » Mar 20 2014 11:57

- With 100% of all currant parts cleaned, I am trying to make sure I am not warped and am even for the upper deck. Dear god, the upper deck makes me angry.
- I think I might work on drill points, but I am stuck until the FW box of parts arrives.
- Or start base coating...
Four Apocalypse games survived

My AX 1-0 is a beast. 6+ games survived.
My Tigershark, 1 game survived.
They are so dam pretty on the battlefield. Also, a Burning skies game makes the Tigershark shine!

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#86 » Mar 24 2014 10:08

- Rail gun mount/bay rail system on the left wing has a micro warp (Start up the water pot). Rail slides are 100% despite the soft cyst in the rail slide.
- Thanks to some great input and research. Milliput is now the planned gap fill.
- 1/16th steel bar is the rib of choice.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#87 » Apr 08 2014 11:06

Work is killing my "everything". Starting a clone project to get more time.
- FW parts are on the way via UPS Air Caste pilots.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#88 » Apr 08 2014 04:23

Would you care to go more into why you've chosen to use Milliput for gap filling kind sir. Reading over your updates you seem to me that you are taking the same amount care as I do when building expencive models (not that've built anything near the price of a Manta), I feel your pain!

Reading your idea to sctatch build bits of Manta for terrain would it not be better to caste some. Now being the best time to take partial moulds of the lager bits of the actuall Manta before paint. Even if you only get a rough cast it's still going to look awesome for terrain.

abraxus
Shas

Post#89 » Apr 09 2014 05:47

Vay wrote:Work is killing my "everything". Starting a clone project to get more time.

I was going to do this as well. Then I realized maybe I AM the clone and the real me is on a beach somewhere sipping margaritas and watching bikinis......

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#90 » Apr 10 2014 10:30

Shas'O Darklighter - Why milliput?
- After reading about 8+ Manta blogs and build reviews, it was the most common choice for gap filling. (White over yellow milliput. The difference is grain and thickness)
- So I logged about 4 hours of youtube on gap filling substances. This really dialed home the quality of milliput over other items.
- I purchased white and yellow. I plan on using white to finish over the yellow on big gaps.
As to the quality of the substance, I will post a review after I "work" with it a bit.

UPDATE:
- FW delivers on 100% of the items that were missing. They are all perfect fresh casts. Minor heat warping (Water starts boiling in kitchen).
- So now I need to drink a beer (and or coffee) and find my will to go back into the beast. Not having parts kills the drive part of your soul.
- The burst cannons are not as bad as I thought. I might be willing to try them (Still have some cast remora BC's I am thinking of using).

Return to “Common Workbench”