Flight Stand?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
foto69man
Shas

Flight Stand?

Post#1 » Jan 09 2014 02:46

Hello All,

My Barracuda and Tigershark AX010 should be arriving in the next few days and I wanted to see what everyone thought to us for flight stands? I know it will be a LOT of resin to hold up. Anything I get would have to be off the internet :sad: courtesy of being in Turkey.

Anyways...I appreciate any inputs or ideas! Thanks again ATT...always the best and brightest here.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Re: Flight Stand?

Post#2 » Jan 09 2014 02:54

Barracuda 1/8th Inch Steel rod 8 inches high in an oval base.
Negatives - You need a grinder to cut and shape the steel.
Plus - Its minimal look maximum strength.

AX1-0 uses a .5 inch Aluminum cylinder rod 10 inches tall. The rod is sunk in 4 layers of fiber-board and has a imperial tower build around it (all parts are layered in Cryo-Glue). The aluminum plate it is on is 6X8 in size.
Negatives - Aluminum is still hard to work with, but easier then steel. The plate could use some grinding into a oval.
Plus - Looks amazing, very strong.

Planned

Orca - 2 .25inch aluminum rods on a 6X8 aluminum
Tiger Shark - 2 .25inch aluminum rods on a 6X8 aluminum

The most important thing is what and how you drill for a peg slot on the model. Not all models have the "space" for a type and size of rod as all the others.
Tiger shark and Orca have some of the hardest spaces to identify.

AX1-0 and Barracuda are pretty easy.
Last edited by Vay on Jan 09 2014 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

foto69man
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 09 2014 02:55

Vay wrote:Barracuda 1/8th Inch Steel rod 8 inches high in an oval base.
Negatives - You need a grinder to cut and shape the steel.
Plus - Its minimal look maximum strength.

AX1-0 uses a .5 inch Aluminum cylinder rod 10 inches tall. The rod is sunk in 4 layers of plasterboard and has a imperial tower build around it. the aluminum plate it is on is 6X8 in size.
Negatives - Aluminum is still hard to work with, but easier then steel. The plate could use some grinding into a oval.
Plus - Looks amazing, very strong.

Planned

Orca - 2 .25inch aluminum rods on a 6X8 aluminum
Tiger Shark - 2 .25inch aluminum rods on a 6X8 aluminum

The most important thing is what and how you drill for a peg slot on the model. Not all models have the "space" for a type and size of rod as all the others.
Tiger shark and Orca have some of the hardest spaces to identify.

AX1-0 and Barracuda are pretty easy.

You sir, are a saint. I don't care what they've said about you.............who 'they' is...I have no clue ;)

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jan 09 2014 02:57

Can photo drill points and bases later if you want (I will any way).

My thoughts on the Tigershark are a goal post type split. Still working out the best Orca method.

_I___I_

Stand height its a key factor too. I kept barracuda the same height as other flyers. I made my AX-10 a little higher since it was APOC, but this makes cover harder to get.
Last edited by Vay on Jan 09 2014 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

foto69man
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 09 2014 02:58

Vay wrote:Can photo drill points and bases later if you want (I will any way).

I'd say do it, and the post as a proposed article! Never hurts to have more resources for the community.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 09 2014 03:05

AX-10 in action over a zombie infested city...

foto69man
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 09 2014 03:08

Mine will be operating with the Barracuda and a Sun Shark as an air interdiction force/warhound killers/tank killers in a month.

Debating doing mine up in an alternate scheme since they are air and not land. My land are mostly white as primary color, so maybe dark grey.

How do you like the performance of your AX 010?

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 09 2014 03:18

I had this same aviation debate on design. http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21662&start=20&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I am going with Air Caste Command force in the black/grey/light grey camo. Ground force fighters are in the colors of their force (RV2 and 1 Remora).

I am still thinking of a 3rd option, Deep space Air Caste controlled. Or Orbit force which I had in black with white lines like the AX1-0 in the picture.

AX1-0...

Escalation
Not as good as it should be. Fliers lose first turn (Not in APOC), board is smaller, and you still have to use reserves. These make it horribly priced for its effect. Our APOC aviation was designed around APOC 1st round entry.
(An odd over look for Escalation which could have kept all the flier rules like they did for everything else)

APOC
AX1-0 is a rock star and plays very well with Tau style and on large boards.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jan 09 2014 03:40

Fluff I could find gave me the idea that: most air craft I read about had a pattern to match atmospherics and time of day of attack. So a day and night fighter group with color tones to match the climate and atmospherics.

Moriar
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 09 2014 03:58

Vay wrote:Fluff I could find gave me the idea that: most air craft I read about had a pattern to match atmospherics and time of day of attack. So a day and night fighter group with color tones to match the climate and atmospherics.

One other thing to consider on this is that aircraft often have different camo patterns depending on the angle viewed. Looking upwards at them, they will typically match the skyline, while looking downwards (like from another aircraft) they often have darker tones to try to blend with the deck. Kinda like this guy:

Notice that the lower half is pure white (difficult to see from the ground) while the upper half is standard green/tan/brown camo (difficult to see from the sky).

*Edited for afterthought: Modern military practice discourages the use of pure black as a camo color, as it does not typically happen in nature. Night camo is greys/blues, think US navy digicam. For daylight operations consider dark browns instead.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

Return to “Common Workbench”