Flight Stand?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
El'mo
Shas'El

Re: Flight Stand?

Post#11 » Jan 09 2014 05:01

That is what I am doing with my Barracuda.

The top camouflage ties it in with my ground forces and helps to give my army a common theme and the underside is in low-vis grey.

The best way to go is to look at real world aircraft and take your inspiration from them. When I first started modelling (pre-internet) I treated myself to an Aircraft images book showing different paint schemes from WW1 till present (well it was present then, mid 80s :eek: ) and it has been a great help. I still have it somewhere but I get most of my inspiration from the web now.

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jan 09 2014 05:15

foto69man wrote:Hello All,

My Barracuda and Tigershark AX010 should be arriving in the next few days and I wanted to see what everyone thought to us for flight stands? I know it will be a LOT of resin to hold up. Anything I get would have to be off the internet :sad: courtesy of being in Turkey.

Anyways...I appreciate any inputs or ideas! Thanks again ATT...always the best and brightest here.

check out dragonforge.com for flyer stands with clear rods.
For the greater good!

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#13 » Jan 09 2014 06:34

I am using the standard GW flying stand for my Barracuda and it is sturdy enough. Not sure if it will work on the Tigershark.

I found a couple on eBay so that would be a good place to start.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Jan 10 2014 08:34

Put up some photos for you under my project log. http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21662&p=276572#p276572
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jan 11 2014 11:33

A standard flight stand works perfectly well for a Tigershark. Mine live on it perminatly on display.

To make the cross I just used 6mm drill bit in my fingers to get a rough shape then used a hobby file to finish it up. It didn't take as long as you might think. I went all the way through that peice and the stand fits flush right on the ballance point of the model and is more stable than my Barracudas.

My two Barracuda also use a GW flying base with no issues.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#16 » Jan 11 2014 11:40

Nice to know the stands work on the Tigershark. Question - did it come with a stand or did you buy it separately?

Is it wrong that I am now looking at the FW site and thinking to myself "that would look nice on my display shelf" :)

On your 'cudas - have you tried turning the stand around so the model is more central over the base. Check mine out to see what I mean as mine is very stable.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jan 11 2014 03:12

All of mine came with that stand supplied.

I do model my stands with the stem glued more towards the back of the base these days. I'll eventually replace these ones, but for now it's not really an issue. I'd spin them around like yours but some deep seated OCD stops me from doing so. I know it's made to fit one way and based with that in mind. There will only be who would notice this (and anyone reading this post) but that's not the point. :P

With the release of escalation my Tigershark won't have to just sit a look pretty in between Apocalypse games any more... Muhahahhaaa... :dead:

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Jan 27 2014 08:47

Motivated by Shas'O Darklighter

This is a combo of my old design and his use of the smaller oval. I cast molded a oval with 12 washer discs embedded in the front arc. I then re-drilled and mounted the old tower/rod. The combined weight and off weight worked like a charm!

Here is it flying next to its Space Hulk raiding force.

Vay
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » Feb 14 2014 02:54

10,000 point game APOC on a space hulk. The smaller base on the AX1-0 was a life saver. Performed amazing. ++
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=21854&p=278177#p278177
If this pic does not get your Air Caste excited, they are dead.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 01 2016 11:58

I've made quite a few bases for super heavies and other FW models. I'll be more than happy to help. Check out my blog http://worldcampaigns.blogspot.com/?m=1

Return to “Common Workbench”