Flight Stand?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Valaas
Shas'Saal

Re: Flight Stand?

Post#21 » Oct 25 2016 05:20

I'm another proponent of the brass rod style flying bases, allows me to give the flyer a bit more height than the standard GW base and lets you go to town on the scenic base.

WIP shot of my current Barracuda base:

Only need a hacksaw to cut the rod to size, a drill bit to enlarge the flight stand hole in the aircraft by hand and I use a block of wood to slot the rod onto the base, which is then disguised in rubble.

You can't beat a good flyers base!

Cheers,
Valaas

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Oct 25 2016 11:03

Like Valaas shows, brass rod is definitely the way to go. I've completely switched over to brass rod/tube for any kind of stand. All my son's Assault Marines, all of my crisis battlesuits, all of my Ork Deffkopters are on brass rod. Just can't beat it for easy of working and table top durability.

Like you base Valaas!

The TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Oct 25 2016 11:23

Nothing beats clear for me, while GW flight stands are a bit short for the likes of larger fliers, I use clear round rods from dragon forge, they have various sizes and start at a foot long, they even have small insertable bits to go with the rods.

As for the old barracuda, there is a small hole underneath, the riptide flight stand opposite to the ball point fits perfectly, so I carefully saw it off clean and even, then pinned it to the top of a regular flying stand. I choose this option due to the weight of the flier, the clear acrylic rod that would fit the size of that hole would not support the weight.

For the greater good!

Return to “Common Workbench”