My cadre: The Shadowseekers

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
oakreef
Shas'La

My cadre: The Shadowseekers

Post#1 » Mar 08 2015 07:55

Hey so I'm sort of new to wargaming. I tried to collect some warhammer fantasy when I was in school but it was too expensive and I didn't really have the patience for it at the time. Recently a friend who collects Chaos Space Marines talked me into getting back into it and I've been getting a Tau army together. So far I have a Fire Warrior squad, a Pathfinder squad, a Fireblade and half of a "Kroot" squad assembled. Only the Pathfinders are painted so far. As I said I'm very new to this and any constructive criticism is welcome, even regarding my photography.

First up: The Pathfinders.

The first unit I got (the shop I went into didn't have any Fire Warriors in stock so I just got these instead). I had decided that I probably wanted a grey or blue-grey colour scheme with orange sept markings and then discovered after I bought the Codex that this matched sept Sa'cea so I guess my cadre comes from that sept.

The two rail rifle guys were my paint test. For both of them I painted the armour Dawnstone grey then highlighted in Administratum. I washed one in Agrax Earthshade and the other in Drakenhof Nightshade. I decided I preferred the Nightshade better and went with that as my colour scheme. The sept markings are just Tau Light Ochre.

Here's the squad Shas'la.

The only interesting thing about the rest of the squad is that I'm an idiot. I hadn't done any work on the squad in ages and decide one night when really tired to sit down and paint the rest of them right then and there. In my tired and confused state I was trying to remember how I had decided to paint my squad and thought "I wanted them to be blue right?" and so opened up my jar of The Fang and started by painting all of their helmets. At some point while doing the armour on one I realised I was using the wrong paint but just kept going with it because I was half way done anyway. I then used Drakenhof Nightshade on them too. So now these five Pathfinders are probably going to be much more blue than anything else in my entire army. Lesson 1 learned: Don't paint when half asleep.

The third rail rifleman is the only unpainted model in the unit (not counting any drones).

The Fireblade, my first conversion

I have some ideas for fluff for my Fireblade. I'm calling her nel'Kat for the moment but that might change. I didn't real like the Fireblade model from GW so instead I bought an old XV15 stealth suit off eBay and cut off the burst canon. A drill, clippers and hacksaw were involved. I then cut a Fire Warrior arm off a the elbow and joined them with green stuff. I also then coated the arm in a layer of green stuff to bulk it up a bit and tried to shape it as best I could into something that looked a bit more armoured to match the rest of the model. I stuck a normal markerlight on top of the rifle and a Fire Warrior antenna on the helmet and I figure I have a fairly decent looking Fireblade. On the back are two discs made of green stuff that are meant to be photon grenades. They don't actually look exactly like the official photon grenades but I have played far too much Tiberian Sun and am pretty enamoured with the idea of frisbee grenades and that's what I was going for. There's still a hole in her back where the XV15 backpack thing is supposed to slot in and I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Firewarriors
Nothing too exciting going on with this squad.

This is the Shas'ui. Was meant to be doing something dramatic like throwing out the photon grenade then pulling out the bonding knife to stab whatever had been blinded in the face but really it just looks kind of awkward. Also you can see I used too much glue and it ran down the arm. I think I have a problem with using too much glue in general.

This guy threw down his helmet because it was too damaged. The greenstuff is supposed to be like the cloth part of the helmet loose on the ground but that's probably not clear.

"Kroot"
So as I said I tried to collect some Fantasy when I was in school. My chosen faction was Skaven. I've decided to try and integrate them into my army replacements for Kroot. I bought a unit of Clan Rats and got some Kroot arm bitz separately. The bases are ones that I had lying around in a box of old fantasy models. I had forgotten that they'd come with square bases not round didn't think to order extra bases for them. I only had six bases though so I need get a few more so I can make a full squad of ten to use. I'm thinking of calling them "Nimh" as a species name and I have a few fluff ideas for them.

This was the first one I made. Greenstuff is draped over the shoulder as extra fabric to hide some ugly joints.

This fella is fairly similar to the first one. You can also see I filed down the spikes and rivets in the armour to make it smoother. I also hastily applied super glue on top of the greens stuff because I thought the arm was falling out. It appears to have reacted in some way making the white stuff you see here :?

This is the only one in the current batch who has his Skaven arms rather than Kroot ones. His gun is shorter as its missing the section where I cut the left hand gripping it off. I'm hoping to do one some more ones with rat arms when I finish the squad. This is also the only one without any green stuff.

I'm keeping the whole Skaven as a very mutant race with these space rats. This poor/lucky fellow has an extra arm.

This guy is the "Shaper" for the squad. The Tau have afforded him a degree of respect enough to wear a Fire Warrior shoulder pad. I was thinking of filing down the Fire Caste symbol to a flat surface and then trying to paint a different symbol in to later but I never bothered to do the filing.

Last guy I'm calling the Tau Fanboy. He likes the Tau so much he's starting to try to dress like them. His right arm is a Fire Warrior pulse rifle arm and his left is a Pathfinder arm.

That's what I have so far.
Last edited by oakreef on Mar 29 2015 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

modelglue
Kor'El

Re: My unnamed cadre

Post#2 » Mar 08 2015 08:10

Looking good oakreef,

I am liking those Kroot conversions but I especially like the Fireblade you have going. The XV-15's are such a cool suit.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Mar 08 2015 01:05

I second modelglue on the cadre fireblade. XV-15s are one of the coolest Tau battlesuits and look fantastic when painted, I still have no idea why they replaced them with the 25.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 17 2015 02:46

Did four more space rats. Have enough now to field a unit :D

One of them has a comically large weapon

So I was thinking I could use a rat ogre as a krootox, even if they probably are a little big. Anyone have any suggestions for what bitz could be a good substitute kroot gun?

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 23 2015 06:38

Fully painted Fire Warrior! Very happy with how this guy turned out. Did him just on his own but the rest I'll do more assembly-line style.

Similar paints used to the Pathfinders but with more detail:

Cloth: Eshin Grey, Dawnstone highlights, Nuln Oil wash
Armour: Dawnstone, Administratum Grey highlights, Drakenhof Nightshade wash
Skin: The Fang, Fenrisian Grey highlights
Sept markings: Tau Light Ochre

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Mar 24 2015 12:38

Nice, now get his base done so you can proudly field him in his natural setting! Keep up the good work.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

oakreef
Shas'La

Re: My cadre: The Shadowseekers

Post#7 » Jan 02 2016 04:34

So it's been most of a year and I have found very little time for growing my army. There's very little extra done unfortunately. But I got a few new models. I bought a Hammerhead kit for myself and then got given gifts of a Riptide and an old Devilfish kit. I decided I wanted someone different than the default Riptide look and after seeing an interesting conversion through Google image search where someone had used parts from a Devilfish to make something that looked like a Tau version of Metal Gear Rex I decided to try kitbashing the Devilfish and Riptide and this is what I came up with

Messing around with models again has been really fun. Hoping to finish this and getting back to painting again in the new year.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 03 2016 08:43

I can imagine if you turn those d-fish engines around you have a XV-109. Super excited about where this is going. Keep up the hard work.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 25 2016 04:23

Almost finished Riptide. The weapons are all magnetized. There's two pairs of 3mm neodymium magnets holding in the Heavy Burst Cannon and one pair holding in the Plasma Rifle.

This guy is new. He's intended to be my Darkstrider equivalent. Backstory is a bit vague still but basically he was Pathfinder Shas'ui with a fondness for drones and then Sniper Drone Spotter. His favourite tactic was burying his Drones in the ground for camouflage before turning them on for ambushes. I'm intending on covering the top of the drone with the same basing I'm going to base the models with when I finally get around to doing that. So he eventually reaches Shas'nel rank and is permitted some leeway in engaging in unorthodox tactics - using a personal drone for weapons instead of shooting them himself. So it's a a drone with a single Pulse Carbine and Markerlight to represent Darkstrider's equipment. The head is from the Stormsurge sprue (I didn't buy a Stormsurge but I bought the heads of a bitz website).

Here he is from the back. The head is different in this photo because I ripped off the original head and replaced it when I got the Stormsurge crew head. Backpack thing is an XV25 shoulder pad. The idea behind it being there's a sensor relay hooked up all along his spine to feed data from all the drones deployed on the battlefield.

Here's a raw photo (i.e. I didn't resize it) of the current Tau forces. I still haven't gotten around to much painting. I'm far too lazy :P

I also realised I never posted those Stealth Suits in the back. Their arms and guns are magnetized to be swapable (that was my first attempt at magnetizing). There's nothing else notable about them.

I'm working on some "Krootox" at the moment (as in the green stuff is setting as I'm typing this) and I've taken some more incremental progress pics for it this time so I might have a more interesting post in the near future.

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 25 2016 03:34

Totally forgot to post my Krootox conversion. It's probably not something many people here would be interested in repeating but here was my process for converting an Island of Blood Rat Ogre into a Krootox "Rider".

Parts used:

* Island of Blood rat ogre
* Cadian auto cannon
* Broadside shoulder pad

I wanted my ogre to be standing more upright holding the gun rather than its usual gorilla posture. For that I needed to extend the legs so my first step was cutting his feet off.

I then used a pinning drill and bits of paperclip to do some model pinning for the first time.

I also wanted this guy to be less science experiment like a normal rat ogre and more just a huge member of the hrud/nimh species. So I used some green stuff to cover up the stitches on his chest and sculpted into fur. This turned out a lot better than expected! This was done just by applying blobs of green stuff and then pressing the edge of a sculpting tool into it repeatedly to make the fur shape.

Used some more green stuff to fill in the gaps in his legs. Then took the auto cannon and did another round of pinning between it and the ogre's fist.

Glued it into place and used a bit more green stuff to fill the gaps

Not much else to it. Attached the head and added some more green stuff fur

To give it a touch of Tau I filed off the spikes on his shoulder pad and glued on a Broadside shoulder pad on top of it

Now I just need to figure out what to use as Kroot Hounds.
Last edited by oakreef on Feb 25 2016 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Obunaji
Shas

Post#11 » Feb 25 2016 03:50

The 'Rat Ogre into Krootox Rider' conversion looks amazing and hilarious! I would personally use the Ogres as Broadsides, but that just might be the idea of a rat Ogre dual-wielding missile launchers talking. :D I'm looking forward to seeing the conversions once they are painted.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Feb 25 2016 04:03

Your army has Hrud?! Whoa Hrud dude...RATS IN SPACE!

Very cool.

The TauMan Abides
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#13 » Feb 26 2016 03:58

Actually, any suggestions for what to use as Kroot hounds? I figure something like gutter runners might do even though they don't really look like they'd be Beasts. There's also giant rats and Forgeworld rat wolfs though they seem a little small and a little big respectively and I'm not super committed to the rat theme for them. I mean they're filling the roles of dogs and it's not like dogs resemble humans very much. What other models (GW or otherwise) look like they'd be suitable as a Kroot Hound and fit on a 25mm base?

oakreef
Shas'La

Post#14 » Mar 05 2016 04:25

TX79 Hammerhead Interceptor Gunship

A variant of the standard Hammerhead Gunship designed to lead frontline assaults. The open cockpit, combined with the the expanded sensor suite at the front of the tank, allows both the Tank gunner to swiftly react to all approaching threats and the commanding Shas'vre to coordinate Tau armour for the battle.

I may have went a bit overboard on my first tank. This is intended to represent my Longstrike model when I get a few tanks in my army. Model is of course just a Hammerhead with a Stormsurge cockpit on top, idea taken from Ironsky from this thread. Sensors at the front are from the squadron command frame sprue.

I'm not fully happy with how I've done the edges with greenstuff but I'm new to this and I think I did this as good as I could have. Still need the bits for the cockpit consoles to finish doing assembling the cockpit and put in the pilots. The axis the turret is turning on is just a large one of those cylinders that take up space in the sprues (not sure what they're called) with two bits of plasticard superglued onto it. I drilled a matching hole into where the Stormsurge's head goes to fit it.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#15 » Mar 17 2016 04:10

I second modelglue on the cadre fireblade.
Thirded - XV15 are awesome. Love the Skaven conversions, I have wanted to give those a go as Hrud stand-ins, but been been far too lazy thus far. Liking the darker Sa'cea tones you use. Obviously I'm biased, but your TX79 is looking really good - You put me to shame, my variant is nowhere near that finished!

Return to “Common Workbench”