Stormsurge/hammerhead combo?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Ironsky
Shas'La

Stormsurge/hammerhead combo?

Post#1 » Oct 20 2015 03:50

Not really sure what people think of the permanently exposed pilots on the stormsurge, most of the posts here are rules based but thinking about the look of the thing I agree with the few people who don't like the idea of an open topped battlesuit. That being said, from what I can make out I think it might be quite a fun conversion to make a new hammerhead turret out of the stormsurge cockpit, giving us a tank with a slightly different loadout. Can anyone who has had access to one (they are currently out of my price range) confirm whether this would be possible - is the cockpit and weapon mount too big to even try mounting on a hammerhead?

Ironsky

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Re: Stormsurge/hammerhead combo?

Post#2 » Oct 20 2015 07:29

Moved to the "Common Workbench" subforum, since this is a modeling question.

It sounds like a great idea, and the canopy of the Hammerhead does have a Mechwarrior look about it. You could probably model a similar, albeit less curved, look with cut plastic, though?

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#3 » Oct 21 2015 02:26

You want to mount the cockpit of the Stormsurge on the Hammerhead or reverse? I can't really imagine how that should look ...

The reverse, mounting the Hammerhead cockpit with the two drone-docks on the Stormsurge sounds actually cool, in my head it looks quite like some Warhound Titan ...

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#4 » Oct 21 2015 03:21

Apologies in advance for the poor image manipulation (and Yes I am mostly using a Devilfish in these mock-ups).

I was talking about the Stormsurge cockpit on a Hammerhead, (something like this):

However I'm not sure about the scale. My question: will this work?

mounting the Hammerhead cockpit with the two drone-docks on the Stormsurge sounds actually cool, in my head it looks quite like some Warhound Titan

While initially I thought you were thinking along these lines

(see why I used the 'fish? wrong colour scheme)

I take it you actually meant something like this

Which is actually pretty cool.

Is that correct?
Last edited by Ironsky on May 15 2016 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 21 2015 03:57

I have to admit the last one does look pretty cool; maybe hang the missile pods from the wings, twin link gun in the chin turret. I think I have the remains of a devilfish I could use to experiment; see how the scale works (The 'Fish chassis look a little too large in the photoshop).

The hammerhead turret on top would probably work better with a 4 leg model.

Dang. Now I may need to get another one :(

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 22 2015 03:19

I think a four leg model would start to look a bit too much like an AT-TE, But I that if the dome shaped turret was rounded off as a head, with the rail gun repositioned it would work quite well. The 'fish does look too big, but maybe the piranha nose and wings? I still quite like my intended outcome-the tank, but the turret does look a little small...

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#7 » Oct 23 2015 01:52

Yeah, I was thinking of the last one, but understood what you meant in the end.

not sure if it would look really good to have the stormsurge's body on the Hammerhead, but I can imagine to mount the weapon on one!

You convinced me, to get a stormsurge, somewhere in the future, but only to convert it to a Devil-(fish)-hound ...

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 23 2015 12:49

My apologies to your wallet

Mr. Oddity
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 23 2015 09:28

It would be really interesting to see an artillery-styled Hammerhead using the main gun off the Stormsurge. In my opinion, the idea of a skimmer-based artillery platform fits the fluff a bit better than the Stormsurge, but personal bias plays a big part in that opinion. :P

I'm not entirely sold on the cockpit transplant, considering the size of the main gun. It seems like you'd want something that big on a fixed mount with limited traverse, to prevent flipping if it was fired at a right angle to the Hammerhead chassis. Although considering it's a skimmer rather than a tracked tank, you might be able to handwave it as anti-gravity shenanigans.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing if this idea goes any further.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 24 2015 08:05

I am currently stripping paint from a couple of tanks, and when I can get the bits I will give this a go.

I'm not entirely sold on the cockpit transplant, considering the size of the main gun. It seems like you'd want something that big on a fixed mount with limited traverse, to prevent flipping if it was fired at a right angle to the Hammerhead chassis. Although considering it's a skimmer rather than a tracked tank, you might be able to handwave it as anti-gravity shenanigans.

I did not have the skill to adjust the angel of the image; I intend to have it with a fixed cockpit and weapon mount - I figure a skimmer is more than capable of turning to aim.

Ironsky

Return to “Common Workbench”