Stormsurge/hammerhead combo?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Mr. Oddity
Shas

Re: Stormsurge/hammerhead combo?

Post#11 » Oct 24 2015 10:36

Makes sense. Skimmers - doing what tracked tanks can't since (whatever edition skimmers first appeared)!

But yeah, having it as a fixed gun will look great. End model would make a great centerpiece. Good luck on the conversion when everything you need comes in!

Also, is this modelling-only, or are you planning on working out some rules for friendly games?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Oct 25 2015 03:55

I mainly just do modelling, but when I do play it is friendly games, so a bit of both. I will probably use it as a hammerhead armed with either a pulse driver or pulse ARC (probably the pulse driver, as I think it looks better). I am going to work in some XV8 shield generators to counteract the threat of enemy sniper fire though.

Ironsky

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Nov 09 2015 03:18

...so I managed to get some Stormsurge bits...

Unfortunately no weapons yet, but I'm sure I will get my hands on some eventually.
I've made some initial cuts

Not sure about the cupola

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Ironsky on May 15 2016 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Aldarion
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Nov 10 2015 09:46

this remind me the Swordfish vehicle

Training in clonetrooper training center BS3!, ja!

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#15 » Nov 10 2015 10:09

Ironsky wrote:... So I managed to get some Stormsurge bits ...

It looks far better, than I expected! ... It also gives a good understanding of the scale! (I think, the War-(hound)-fish would look amazing)

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » Nov 10 2015 10:34

I am loving this. I attempted a R'varna hammerhead but it didn't end well. This is quite promising!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Nov 10 2015 11:32

this remind me the Swordfish vehicle

Double railguns could work as the main armament! Still holding out for a pulse driver though...
It looks far better, than I expected! ... It also gives a good understanding of the scale! (I think, the War-(hound)-fish would look amazing)

Cheers! Yes I think scale-wise the war (hound) fish is definitely a viable option.

Thanks Da Skyman I am intrigued by the R'varna hammerhead, but couldn't find it with a quick ATT search, did you post pictures?

Ironsky
Last edited by Ironsky on Nov 22 2015 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Nov 10 2015 11:07

Don't have anything constructive to add to this thread other than that it looks amazing. Keep us posted on how this goes!

Mr. Oddity
Shas

Post#19 » Nov 11 2015 07:56

Looking excellent so far! I'm glad to see that you were able to get ahold of some of the bits for this build.

I don't think the cupola is a good fit for the model. It seems a bit too tacked on to me.

What are you thinking as far as gap sealing goes? Plasticard, putty, or something else?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Nov 12 2015 02:13

Thanks Ell'ran!
I don't think the cupola is a good fit for the model. It seems a bit too tacked on to me.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. I am struggling with how to replace the Stormsurge heads. I am thinking XV8 shield generator in the position of the ancillary head, and maybe this for the main head?
(looks even more like a swordfish now)

Gapfilling will be a combination of plasticard and greenstuff. I'm hoping to get a lot of that done over the weekend.

Ironsky

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Nov 22 2015 07:59

Some initial gap filling done:

Still more needs doing, but I am taking a bit of a break with this project until I get more parts. Annoyingly I want to paint the interior before attaching the front of the armour, so I may have to do some final greenstuff work part way through the painting process.

As always I welcome thoughts and suggestions

Ironsky
Last edited by Ironsky on May 15 2016 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Now with rockets

Post#22 » Dec 14 2015 05:05

Now you see them

Now you don't

So I have managed to fit cluster rockets into this project. Now I'm struggling with where to put the destroyer missiles. So far I'm thinking either here

or here

Any suggestions?

Ironsky

Cluster Rocket How-To Guide
Last edited by Ironsky on May 15 2016 11:08, edited 2 times in total.

Redback
Por

Post#23 » Dec 14 2015 05:16

What about Missiles on drones and the AFP nose mounted?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Dec 15 2015 01:04

What about Missiles on drones and the AFP nose mounted?

I had thought of drone mounted missiles, but (to my mind) the pods looked far to bulky for the standard sized drones. I had not thought of nose mounting the AFP weapon option, will definitely give that a go (with burst cannons, couldn't get hold of AFPs)!

oakreef
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jan 08 2016 04:18

I absolutely love the hammerhead with stormsurge top. I may have to steal this idea as a Longstrike-rule tank.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jan 19 2016 04:33

Thanks Oakreef! Yeah I'm feeling that way about Longstrike, cluster rockets would be very useful with extra overwatch methinks ;)

I have tweaked the position of the cluster rocket system, and added a serious amount more firepower

The Destroyer missiles have been mounted below the tank, as engine movement was not an option with them mounted on the doors. The flight stand hole has also been moved back by c.5mm to account for the extra length/weight

The main weapon option has been fully magnetised, following Warpath's fantastic Weapon Magnetised Option. I also magnetised the breach to facilitate transport with two 4x2mm magnets - its ugly, but can't be seen, and it provides a strong enough bond to pick the model up using just the Pulse driver cannon

At this stage I foolishly ran out of magnets. Pictures of the Pulse Blastcannon as soon as I get some more!

Ironsky
Last edited by Ironsky on May 15 2016 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

oakreef
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Feb 28 2016 03:00

I hope you don't mind but I'm after stealing this idea somewhat (but using it in a slightly different way)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Feb 28 2016 04:30

I hope you don't mind but I'm after stealing this idea somewhat (but using it in a slightly different way)
Of course not, I'm glad you like the idea (and may I say your take is looking very nice by the way)! I take it you still have a Longstrike pilot lined up?

Ironsky

Return to “Common Workbench”