Reefshield Mobile Artillery Firebase (Stormsurge conversion)

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Re: Reefshield Mobile Artillery Firebase (Stormsurge conversion)

Post#19 » Mar 12 2016 02:55

Now with other angles the model is more understandable.

It feel very massive and impressive :eek:
More than the base model !

But the bulkiness is a little weird when seeing its ground support:
The rear struts are very thin to support mass and recoil, specially on soft grounds. I though before that they were stabilizers, on each side of a solid third rear leg.
Front "legs" are maybe a little too big on the contrary, and they are too close to the symmetrical axis.
I imagine that a real Reefshield shocked by a tank or MC by its side could easily fall.
(I recognize that when you want to fit these legs on the Stormsurge base, there is not many way to space them...)

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#20 » Mar 12 2016 05:45

Kael'yn wrote:Now with other angles the model is more understandable.

The rear struts are very thin to support mass and recoil, specially on soft grounds. I though before that they were stabilizers, on each side of a solid third rear leg.
Front "legs" are maybe a little too big on the contrary, and they are too close to the symmetrical axis.
I imagine that a real Reefshield shocked by a tank or MC by its side could easily fall.
(I recognize that when you want to fit these legs on the Stormsurge base, there is not many way to space them...)

Thanks. The rear struts are meant to be dug into the ground; perhaps I should pile more sand around the their bottom ends to make that clearer?

Raverrn
Shas'La

Post#21 » Mar 12 2016 07:21

R.D. wrote:

Thanks. The rear struts are meant to be dug into the ground; perhaps I should pile more sand around the their bottom ends to make that clearer?

How does it walk, then? Does it drag it's ass? :P

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#22 » Mar 12 2016 08:17

Raverrn wrote:
R.D. wrote:

How does it walk, then? Does it drag it's ass? :P

It doesn't. As I mentioned, idea is that it hovers around before locking down at the front at the back.

Hoped the thrusters on the side or back would help illustrate that, perhaps I should add on more stuff to that effect? :?

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#23 » Mar 16 2016 06:16

Thinking of putting on some Piranha jets on the side on the front, to illustrate the 'mobile grav-platform' aspect more clearly. Any thoughts on that, or suggestions otherwise?

Jochmann
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Mar 16 2016 07:54

Considering the size of your Reefshield, I'd suggest taking Devilfish-chassis jets front and rear. Great work, by the way.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#25 » Apr 07 2016 05:21

Put on Piranha engines on the side to make the grav-platform side more obvious. Stressing that painting remains a WIP; I've only came back from vacation recently and only had time to add on said engines and paint them somewhat hurriedly. Still, lemme know how it looks now, and if the mobile grav-platform angle seems to work now.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#26 » Apr 08 2016 04:39

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Return to “Common Workbench”