Reefshield Mobile Artillery Firebase (Stormsurge conversion)

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
R.D.
Shas'La

Re: Reefshield Mobile Artillery Firebase (Stormsurge conversion)

Post#11 » Feb 07 2016 09:01

Rajden wrote:I dig it!
That's some crafty earth caste engineering right there!

I would like more pictures to get a better 360-degree idea on how you built it and what it looks like from more angles.

If I ever get one I will very likely build it like this since I don't really like the original design.

Thanks! Might do more angles when I spray-base it.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#12 » Feb 08 2016 08:33

Any more thoughts?

Rajden
Shas

Post#13 » Feb 10 2016 10:31

Did the model come with four destroyer missiles?
They are placed kind of low on the back, did you consider moving them to another location on the model?
Better kill it fast before it lays eggs.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#14 » Feb 10 2016 10:48

Rajden wrote:Did the model come with four destroyer missiles?
They are placed kind of low on the back, did you consider moving them to another location on the model?

The destroyer missiles are under the cluster missiles as normal; they are reasonably levelled, keeping in mind it's propped up on rocks.

In the meantime, I've base-sprayed and have begun painting. New pics hopefully soon to follow--I'm strongly considering putting the remaining 'toes' at the front adjacent to the big ones and inward, to make the front look more solid, and thus perhaps closer to the grav-platform look I want rather than a walker.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#15 » Feb 18 2016 05:57

New pics, of the painting, which is still in progress. Got the new Tau Commander kit, made a Coldstar out of it, and put the standard backpack sides under the sides of the main body to bulk it out a bit more. Also put the remaining toes on the front.

Not the best lighting I know:

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#16 » Feb 20 2016 06:58

Any thoughts?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#17 » Feb 20 2016 07:35

Rajden wrote:I would like more pictures to get a better 360-degree idea on how you built it and what it looks like from more angles.

I think this was a good advice. We only have one blurry shot on how it is from side.
You've posted many pics from the top, but some other angles miss. So it's hard to give more inputs.

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#18 » Mar 11 2016 06:43

Okay, finally, more angles. Painting comes on slowly but surely.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#19 » Mar 12 2016 02:55

Now with other angles the model is more understandable.

It feel very massive and impressive :eek:
More than the base model !

But the bulkiness is a little weird when seeing its ground support:
The rear struts are very thin to support mass and recoil, specially on soft grounds. I though before that they were stabilizers, on each side of a solid third rear leg.
Front "legs" are maybe a little too big on the contrary, and they are too close to the symmetrical axis.
I imagine that a real Reefshield shocked by a tank or MC by its side could easily fall.
(I recognize that when you want to fit these legs on the Stormsurge base, there is not many way to space them...)

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#20 » Mar 12 2016 05:45

Kael'yn wrote:Now with other angles the model is more understandable.

It feel very massive and impressive :eek:
More than the base model !

But the bulkiness is a little weird when seeing its ground support:
The rear struts are very thin to support mass and recoil, specially on soft grounds. I though before that they were stabilizers, on each side of a solid third rear leg.
Front "legs" are maybe a little too big on the contrary, and they are too close to the symmetrical axis.
I imagine that a real Reefshield shocked by a tank or MC by its side could easily fall.
(I recognize that when you want to fit these legs on the Stormsurge base, there is not many way to space them...)

Thanks. The rear struts are meant to be dug into the ground; perhaps I should pile more sand around the their bottom ends to make that clearer?

Return to “Common Workbench”