The Spruefort - Third sphere expansion

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Rajden
Shas

The Spruefort - Third sphere expansion

Post#1 » Feb 07 2016 03:46

Introduction

Having been a tau player or more precise a tau collector- dating back to the beginning of thier debut as the new army on the block back in the early years 2k, I can admit I have left them for quite a while sitting in storage to give room for other 40k, fantasy as well as other modelling projects. What kept my tau in storage was the uninspiring rule sets following 3rd edition with lackluster rules and less intriguing models compared to other armies. I've kept coming back to the greater good for shorter periods only to shelf them again and again.

Setup and approach

Most would call me a modest forum lurker and an affectionate model collector. I put as much work into assembly if not more than I do painting. Over the years however the painting has become a bigger part compared to my early years of the hobby.
- I figured I'd share my current work regarding the tau army I'm fiddling with. Over time I might share other aspects of my wide hobby scope. Illustrations, alternate rulesets, scenarios, campaigns and what not. Projects shifting back and forth into focus I can admit I don't know myself where this jousney will take me, or us if you would like to stick around.

Over the course of the project I will update this first post to add links and such for easy access to whatever I work on if it feels necessary. Starting with a pair right now my ATT membership profile which I might fill in more at a later time can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24297

I use Instagram for mixed project updates whenever I feel like I have made progress but don't want to write a bigger post or so about it. What I have or will post about there is a mix of 40k army projects like Tau, Necrons, Dark Angels, Adeptus Mechanicus, Chaos Space Marines, Astra Militarum, Orks, BFG, Roleplay charcters and much much more every now and then. Username Frozac, link:
https://www.instagram.com/frozac/

I might as well add my Pinterest account if you feel like browsing random pictures. Updated every now and then with the majority of folders not connected with 40k or tau for that matter but I might change that sometime in the future, who knows... Link:
https://pinterest.com/rajden/

What can be said about my tau collection?

I have updated most of my units to the current range. It is an army with a bit of everything from the codex to enable new army compositions for varied game play with a dynamic feel to it. It is not geared towards any specific theme, not aimed for competitive play but more of a collection.
Gameplay wise I tend to rely on Crisis suits - using neodym magnets for a wider use of weapon and support system options. I only have a few tanks so one could say the army is infantry heavy.

Known cadre records can be found in the Tau Empire Cadre Cencus as post 340, page 18, here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11676&p=307313#p307313

In the works

My primary objective is to finish a 500 point force for a narrative escalating campaign we're about to begin.
After that I will add another 500 for phase two and three each.
What I tend to do is go a bit of course and work a bit on other less prioritized pieces, or write something like this instead of focusing on what needs to be done. In this case I have a group of crisis suits (nothing to share so far IMO) and a commander that is in the process of magnetizing and some of the new firewarriors.

What I found myself working on instead was Stealth suits and a WIP kitbash of Darkstrider I thought I'd share to get things started.
Last edited by Rajden on Feb 07 2016 07:16, edited 2 times in total.
Better kill it fast before it lays eggs.

Rajden
Shas

Re: Third sphere expansion - The Spruefort

Post#2 » Feb 07 2016 04:35

Featured

Darkstrider WIP
Based on a Firewarrior body from the new kit with a Pulse blaster, the head and forearm picked from Ghostkeel kit.
Shoulder guard "cloned" from Stealth suits using Instant mold and greenstuff.

Left to do is to sculpt a visor for her eye, similar to the bionic eye on the Ethereal below.
Small air intakes on the chest plate, and construct her "Structural Analyser" signature system on the backpack from the rifle scope and bottom part of antenna (seen in the plastic cup).
Add the top part of the antenna to backpack from Firewarrior-kit as well as the smaller one to the gun.
Tidy up the end of the gun and re-attach the barrels cut from the gun. (The three little dots, also found in the cup, (holder, bin, lid?).
Lastly I will sculpt a piece of fabric from the arm/shoulder as well as longer hair on the head.

Last edited by Rajden on Feb 07 2016 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Tael
Fio'O

Re: The Spruefort - Third sphere expansion

Post#3 » Feb 07 2016 06:44

Great intro and objective, gives a solid context to your forthcoming work and the various access to your workbench projects.

Enjoyed the breakdown on the parts for the Ethereal :)

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Re: Third sphere expansion - The Spruefort

Post#4 » Feb 07 2016 09:00

Hey Rajden! Love the conversions.
Rajden wrote:Left to do is to sculpt a visor for his eye...

I have noted though that your using the female head form the Ghost Keel suit, so technically, wouldn't that be a "she" Darkstrider? Any ways, can't wait to see how they turn out!

Czar Ziggy

Rajden
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 07 2016 10:39

The "breakdown of the parts" -list is a to do list for Darkstrider. I just put it in there to give you an idea on what parts I'm going to use Teal.

So you noticed all ready? ;)
Yes, I really liked the face and just went with it.
Got a bit carried away writing the post so I guess I overlooked it. I will edit the post so it is correct.

Rajden
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 09 2016 02:28

Small update on Darkstrider kitbash
I've added the antenna to his backpack and sculpted a bionic eye similar to the one in the illustrations.
I also added some ammo canisters to the inside of the gun. I fint it makes the blaster look more like a shotgun.
Structural analyzer sculpted but is curing on a separate plate.

Drones magnetized
Underneath for easy transportation. Not sure why but it felt like a good idea. :)
The Supportplatform will stay a drone, base will be used for a Tau version of the Aegis defence line.
I'm going to let you guess what is to become of the Recon drone. ;)

Last edited by Rajden on Feb 10 2016 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vaal' ke kovash'shi
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 10 2016 02:18

Looking lovely! I must say, that bionic eye is really well modeled! What process do you use to make it? Also, what are your plans for modeling the structural analyser?

Rajden
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 10 2016 10:10

Thank you Kovash'shi. It took some time to get somewhat right but I got there in the end.

Structural analyzer
It was made from half a pulse carbine/rifle scope. First I cut the scope from the gun and trimmed it flat, the I simply split it in half to get the round button as lens. After that i sculpted the little edges around it with greenstuff so it would look more like the original one. Since it was such a small piece I greenstuffed on another surface and added the scope onto that, folded up edges that I trimmed even after it cured over night. I think it is a bit bigger but I has character and resembles it to the degree that I'm satisfied.
(sorry the plastic of the analyzer is so bright it hardly shows any detail. I might get a better picture with the next update if I remember)

Air intakes
in chest armour added, fiddly business there I tell ya! Matching the left one to the right one i did first was tricky. Not only because of the small details, scale and angles. Getting it smooth and flat in such a small space having the gun in the way made me wish I had done this before adding arms. Sometimes you just get by the hard way. I sometimes use a small bit of superglue to get the Greenstuff to sit where I want it when working on such small details. You don't want to use too much because it affects the putty and makes it frosty and dry where you put the glue. The smallest amount will do.

The only thing I'm still having second thoughts about is not making the back of his torso more similar to the sleek original model. But it isn't really that important, I don't find it very practical having a visor behind the head. The backpack does tie him in with the Firewarriors. A solid Cadre fireblade model if I need one, since I wont be playing him that very often.

Left to do is the fabric, gun and hair.
I added GWs original model and illustration for comparison below. ;)

Rajden
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 12 2016 03:30

Tactical sentry turret

I imagine this thing is either deployed like a mini drop pod from Orca support ships for advancing ground personel or all ready deploed in the ground popping up if it is needed so i wanted it straight and not slightly leaning. If I make another one I'm sure that one will have more like an impact on the base to make it look just recently deployed.

I felt like building something other so I took a moment to assemble this stratgem/objective.
Most of you probably recognize it as the bottom part from the Recon drone. I have this as a left over since the top half of the drone will become something else as well. The work was fairly simple.

I assembled the turret up side down keeping the burst canon the right side up like normal. Since I wanted the BC to be able to fire in a higher angle I assembled it with the canon "mounted backwards" compared to the original build of a recon drone, since it is upside down. What I quickly noticed was that the turret was very hollow by the ammo cylinder in the back. I used sprue in the bottom to create an area that I could glue a pair of cut of tops of Pulse carbines to stick up inside below the canon. This can be seen in the first photo.

What was also a small adjustment that had to be made was the a cut out in the area below the lower BC barrels tor it to be able to aim straight forward. This was achived by simply cutting into the curved area making it a square shape. (lower photo, left side)

The last part and most time consuming (if you can call it that) was to make filler bitz of plasticard to fit in the lower back.
I see this as a platform that should be able to rotate so I wanted to make it a full bottom circle. Firstly I cut out a small part that fit perfectly into the bottom gap (seen in the first picture) after that cutting out the other parts needed to fill out was easy.

I see this Tactical sentry turret as a model that can be used for a variety of roles. So I really wanted to make it look like something that wouldn't be too modified from its original shape. It has a great and iconic silhouette and is fine just as it is. The bottom sprue bits are dirt base filling that will be covered with sand and flock later on if you were wondering.

What I have left to do is just to fill the hole in the top, originally for the transparent plastic rod. I was testing out different bitz to see if it would be cool to have a weapon, markrlight, shield or similar in the top but came to the conclusion that it ruined the look of the model. Who is to say the top part isn't a shield generator? I will probably put a magnet there in case I change my mind.
Sometimes less is more. ;)

Vaal' ke kovash'shi
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 13 2016 11:04

Oh, I like that! How are you doing the cameras/eyes?

Return to “Common Workbench”