The Spruefort - Third sphere expansion

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Rajden
Shas

Re: The Spruefort - Third sphere expansion

Post#11 » Feb 13 2016 04:03

To get the greenstuff to really stick to the face i use a small amount of superglue that binds it to in this face. Just be careful not to use too much. Try on a left over face first is my first advice.

For the flat i just used a flat sculpting tool. Some moist is viod to get a smoot surface. A knife is fine too but brar in mind that they rust easily so use an older or worn out one. I usually just sculpt it into boxes so I see it is the right amount. After that i try to get the recesses first. The rodlike wires near the ear in Darkstriders case first for example. After that I worked the rest of the boxy eye part. Getting the tiny edges around the eye is the hardest part. In my poinion it's all about working every angle at the same time. Bottom, top, sides, edges etc rotating it until i'm satesfied.

The Ethereal eye has round holes for a set of smaller lenses. The general shape is first built up like the the forementioned but in this case with a rounded shape getting it right takes a while. I use penciles of different shapes and thickness to get the lenses perfectly round. Doing this however puches a tiny bit of the GS out (it has to go somewhere I guess) so keep that in mind. If you're not sure you can nail the holes while sculpting you can always go back with a pinvise when has cured.

I might be able to make a youtube video explaining this more in detail. Not promising anything but I'll look into it.
Better kill it fast before it lays eggs.

Vaal' ke kovash'shi
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 14 2016 04:26

Thanks for the explanation of the bionic eyes on the ethereal and Darkstrider, but I was more referring to your next steps with the Tactical Sentry Turret. I like the concept and wanted to know how you are going to model its cameras / targeting systems. THanks anyway though, the information given is much appreciated!

Rajden
Shas

Post#13 » Mar 01 2016 11:23

@ Kovash'shi
I see! After some careful concideration I setteled on the targetlock from the stealth suit kit. I found the size just a perfect fit in the front - just above the Burstcanon as you can see in the first pic. All left to do is to tidy up the tiny gaps with some liquid greenstuff and it will be all set. I also added a magnet to the top as mentioned earlier on. It seems like a good idea.
I'm thinking maybe I should have split turned the the top as the back looks more armoured and rigid(?). Maybe next time. :roll:

Drones, drones, drones
As you can see I spent some more time to get a bunch of old and new drones done, or in the progress at least. Been basing like a mad man. It never ends!?

Standard Broadside missile drones.
I still need to convert another two for my later project - Commander Ob'Lotai that will be a kit bash.

A bunch of Shield drones
One can never have too many! I also went with a center position for the short antennas to get a more balanced look.

Prototype Shield drones WIP.
Upgraded with improved optics in the front they will serve as my commanders personal companions. The optic bitz were left overs from the Broadside kit. I kindly ask for input and ideas for additional work on them. I'm thinking alternate antennas, might add tiny wings in the front, feedback is very welcome.

Also featured is one of my modified Guardian drones. More sleak antenna in the back - a shortened normal drone antenna.

A pair of Marker drones.
One standard and another prototype model WIP. The prototype has so far been made with one of the new multitrackers chopped off, found in the Crisis kit mounted in the back. In the front is a Targetlock as you can see.

Rajden
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 10 2016 01:00

Quick Update
I'm working some finishing touches on a Ghostkeel and Riptide suit.

What do you guys feel about a Ghostkeel head swap on the Riptide?
Could work?

n1md4
Shas'La

Post#15 » Mar 10 2016 08:18

That works! I like the Ghostkeel heads, they remind me of Aliens.

Rajden
Shas

Post#16 » Jul 27 2016 11:26

Yoo~ mah homies!
I've been busy with my new jobs but I figured I'd post some more Objective / Asset / Fortification models I'm currently fiddling with to keep you updated.
I suppose they will be easy to play as Aegis Defence Line models, or turrets following the Forge World rules. Or just random scenery.

They are as you can see in a "WIP" stage at the moment. The lower is an alternative to how the Railguns(rifle(!) :( ) generator could be placed. Either on the top as I find the most pleasing alternative at the moment, or on the side. Will add a target lock to the side of it and maybe some bitz and bobs but nothing fancy.

The Missile turret is your "ADL" Autocannon replacement.I'm thinking I could lower it a little as it stands pritty big at the moment -not sure though... I think the big canisters on the back of the HYM-Pods has to go. They are way to wonky and serves no purpose that I can see. They will go into the bitbox for some other kitbash project.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#17 » Jul 29 2016 06:13

Great thread; been enjoying your subtle conversion work! :)

The new Rail turret is a nice idea, just made my inspiration folder. ;)

Return to “Common Workbench”