Oval Base Measurements

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Oval Base Measurements

Post#1 » Mar 05 2016 06:37

I'm not really a fan of the whole oval base thing that GW has done with the Ghostkeels/Riptides/Stormsurge, and so what I hope to do with those figures when I eventually get them, is put them on circle bases instead, to please my symetrical-prefered mind :) I know that doing this will disallow me from entering a variety of official games and tournaments, but I care not for ranked competetive play, I'd rather just play local fun games.

So my queation is this. Can anyone tell me the long and short measurements of the oval bases provided with the three different previously mentioned figures?
With that information, I'll buy some bases whos diameter is around just over half way between the two lengths, maybe more accurately two thirds. GW have an awesome range of bases on their site, so that's where I'll get them.
The days of goodly English is went

oakreef
Shas'La

Re: Oval Base Measurements

Post#2 » Mar 05 2016 07:03

Couple seconds with my Riptide and a ruler tells me it's roughly 12cm and 9.4cm

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 05 2016 07:49

oakreef wrote:Couple seconds with my Riptide and a ruler tells me it's roughly 12cm and 9.4cm

Thanks a ton oakreef!

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 05 2016 07:56

I agree 100% about the oval bases, this is what I did about it:

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 05 2016 08:34

Shas'o Dre wrote:I agree 100% about the oval bases, this is what I did about it:

What size bases are those Dre? I gather they're 100mm?

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Mar 05 2016 09:20

Actually 80mm, 100mm felt too big.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 05 2016 10:20

I see! That helps to know.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Mar 06 2016 12:12

KV128s, XV104s, and XV95s are all mounted on different sized bases. You should be able find the base types right in the description for each model in their store. Additionally, you can see all of GW's available oval bases for sale on their own site.

The oval bases for the large suits are:
  • XV95: 105mm x 70mm
  • XV104: 120mm x 92mm
  • KV128: 170mm x 105mm

Some of these bases have round "equivalents", that is to say that they have an equal or larger area, even if the exact dimensions aren't the same. For example, you could replace the XV95's 105mm oval with a 100mm round base. Some of these equivalents might qualify with GW's rule regarding using either the base the model is provided with or a larger one, and so might actually be legal. But it's always best to check with your local meta/tourney scene.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 06 2016 06:06

Thanks for your responae ARC'Thunder :) as previously stated, competetive play doesn't appeal to me, so the sizes of the bases affecting my entry into tournaments doesn't bother me. And unfortunately, all the figures on the GW site (at least the Australian one) only list inclusion of an "oval base". Thank you very much for the measurements! I really appreciate it.

Return to “Common Workbench”