Magnets on bases question

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Magnets on bases question

Post#1 » Mar 27 2016 08:42

I've noticed on a few occasions that some people have added magnets to the bases of their miniatures. I even purchased some second hand models for my wife, and they had magnets siliconed to the base, but I can't seem to figure out why. What would they magnetise the miniatures to? I don't know of anyone that uses a metal games table or terrain, that just seems silly and inefficient.

An example if what I'm talking about can be found here in this video at 7:30 in, on the base of his winged hive tyrant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DsTFNU7-Rs
The days of goodly English is went

Lord Mayhem
Shas

Re: Magnets on bases question

Post#2 » Mar 27 2016 09:46

Many people use some sort of metal plate or box for transporting minis (at the simplest a small metal tool box, for example. The magnets secure the minis to the plate, allowing safe transport and/or display.

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 27 2016 10:22

Ah that makes a whole lot of sense! Thanks for the response, Lord Mayhem

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#4 » Mar 28 2016 09:47

Bloodknife92,

It's a convenient way of transporting models. I use a case from "TableWar" that has adjustable shelves, these shelves come blank so I just cut sheet steel and glued it to the shelves so that the magnetized bases will stick to them. You can also use something less specialized and cheaper, like a fishing tackle box or tool box (sold at any hardware/home improvement store).

I had originally bought a foam tray case, but after seeing other players' models get essentially sanded-down by the foam, I figured it'd be better to go the magnetic route.

It's also useful if you have loose magnets, to keep track of wounds on multi-wound models during gameplay.

n1md4
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 28 2016 05:39

Oh, I like this idea, and magnets seem so cheap in comparison to foam - as bizarre as that seems! That's given me plenty of ideas.

Lord Mayhem
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 28 2016 06:10

Magnets do offer several advantages over foam, but have some drawbacks;
-Generally cheaper
-Very easy to switch model loadouts; no fitting models into individual foam pockets
-Faster to pull out/stow models
-Less wear on the paint/ less risk of small parts breaking off.
-potentially more space efficient since there is no inherent need for padding between models
However:
-Requires more model preparation and a good adhesive; Niobium magnets are remarkably resistant to remaining glued.
-May not work as well for all bases (solid bases may not have space for magnets, requiring drilling)
-Less shock resistant than foam; a hard impact can knock the model lose, and with no padding to keep it in place...
-Getting the magnet size right; too small a magnet will not hold the model firmly; to strong makes getting the model off the plate harder
-Generally heavier than foam, since it requires metal sheet to attach to.

It's a good choice for a starter army, since you can just get a cheap metal tool box to carry your forces, without investing in foam. I prefer foam for long term storage and shipping however.

Bloodknife92
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Mar 28 2016 09:41

My Skitarii friend put an order in to an Aus website for a fairly impressive sized foam transport case, and offered for me to add another one to his order for cheaper postage, so I took up the offer. I like the idea pf the metal transport case, but for things like Riptides, Stormsurges and Ghostkeels, one would need a case with at least one fairly open space, and if the figures were to come loose in transit, there would be a lot of space for them to bang around in. Having said that, I still think its a good alternative to foam transport.

Kalten
Fio'La

Post#8 » Mar 29 2016 04:23

There are hybrid alternatives, of course, although they require a bit of DIY. If you want to use the convenience of a magnetic based transport but also the added security of the foam, you can glue strips or sheets of that foam to strategic places on the lid and sides of the container, so that bigger models are held in place and smaller models suffer less damage if they come loose during transport.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 16 2016 04:15

Bloodknife92 wrote:My Skitarii friend put an order in to an Aus website for a fairly impressive sized foam transport case, and offered for me to add another one to his order for cheaper postage, so I took up the offer. I like the idea pf the metal transport case, but for things like Riptides, Stormsurges and Ghostkeels, one would need a case with at least one fairly open space, and if the figures were to come loose in transit, there would be a lot of space for them to bang around in. Having said that, I still think its a good alternative to foam transport.

My own Riptide is a converted bulky thing, I could see though the benefit of magnet housing.

Actually the whole idea makes me want to build a gundam/mobile-suit type docking-frame for it's main body, which is too big to fit into foam (economically)

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#10 » Dec 16 2016 06:58

Several of the guys in my crew use magnetic trays that fit into custom display cases, that also work for transport. The cases sell for about 300.00 very high end.

Magnets on bottom of the base ensure they don't move around. It also can help to weigh down light weigh models like blood letters.

Return to “Common Workbench”