Suggestions for FE conversions?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Blackskull
Shas

Suggestions for FE conversions?

Post#1 » Jul 12 2016 01:59

I've finally decided that I want to do FE army, but in every army I own I try to convert it as much as I can. So FE will not be and exeption. What I think for now is too add pockets and bags like this: http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/news ... 3/07/2.png . May not be the best image but I hope you get the idea. Also I want to give some models underslung knives. What more can I do to make my army look unique and farsight themed, not just tau in red armor? I would be happy to see some conversions of yours. Thanks in advance.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Suggestions for FE conversions?

Post#2 » Jul 12 2016 03:20

Blackskull,
Not to discourage constructive discourse, but ATT has a vast assortment of some of the most creatively and heavily converted armies on the web, including Farsight Enclaves, available with a simple search.
In keeping with our primers, I would recommend you browse those topics, and any others of interest, then return here to develop a log of how your FE army is coming along.

Blackskull
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 13 2016 05:27

Agentarrow wrote:Blackskull,
Not to discourage constructive discourse, but ATT has a vast assortment of some of the most creatively and heavily converted armies on the web, including Farsight Enclaves, available with a simple search.
In keeping with our primers, I would recommend you browse those topics, and any others of interest, then return here to develop a log of how your FE army is coming along.

I haven't looked at ATT, just google. Only few conversions are great so far. Well, I hope to post a test model in a few days

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 13 2016 01:07

I remember a few threads which you may find particularly interesting.
Jordtron's weathered Farsight Enclaves force has some good conversions for Fire Warriors which aren't difficult to pull off.
The "When we were Shas'La challenge has some excellent conversion work as well on display.
Onos' Alternative Fire Warriors are a complete change from the norm and a far more in-depth conversion. You may find some details you like.
The Official ATT Modelling Resource has a massive collection of tutorials for all aspects of converting a Tau army.

Blackskull
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 20 2016 04:32

http://imgur.com/GtJMOzd,GqkzSUM http://imgur.com/LWINXNq Test model. What you think? Don`t mind paintjob it was one of minis I ever painted.

Falsegods
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 20 2016 06:50

Tip for painting yellows, work up from brown to yellow. Yellow pigment is several times more expensive than others, to keep costs the same companies tend to dilute their yellow paint. Working from a brown undercoat can help a lot. Also multiple thinner layers are often more effective, for the same reason.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#7 » Jul 20 2016 11:35

Alternatively, you can get good results by using a white primer, then applying a couple layers of a yellow shade, then filling in any areas too light with yellow paint, which goes on much better over a washed yellow base.

Since this is a Farsight Enclaves army, however, I imagine you'll be re-painting it in a maroon or grey? In that case it should paint well. The bits definitely help to give it a more rugged look, which fits the Enclaves.

One recommendation I have is to look for weapon straps from various kits. A strap hanging off the pulse rifle goes a long way toward that rugged aesthetic.

polymphus
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 21 2016 01:36

Okay so, I have a bunch of 'nids with bright yellow and this is how I did it:

1) undercoat black (I use Tamiya matte black spray)
2) basecoat zandri dust
make sure it's all over the sections you want, but also be sure not to have it too thick. Total light coverage: make sense?
3) 70/30 Zandri Dust/Yriel Yellow
You want to cover most of the armour, but leave the recesses showing the basecoat.
4) coat Yriel Yellow
You're picking out details now; raised bits of the model. If you're new to painting and not very confident, try drybrushing! It's a beginner technique that gets pretty nice results for the work you put in.
5) 70/30 Yriel Yellow/White Scar
either a veeeery light drybrush, or go over and pick out the finest details

Good yellow starts kinda brown, then you layer the actual yellow on top. This particular one is a more dirty bright yellow - you can get something more vibrant by undercoating in white. Quick and dirty cellphone pic of what it looks like on my own Tau:

PLEASE NOTE: always water down your paints if you're using GW. They're very thick, and if you just slap it on from the pottle you'll obscure all the detail and end up with captain meltyface here:

As a sidenote re FE conversion, a nice thing to do is to stick kroot parts on your infantry - they're designed to look good next to Tau models already, and they give your models a more savage look. The kroot sprues come with a ton of extra knives/feathers/bells/random junk that looks great on regular tau. I'm not sure if that's the sorta thing you're envisaging, but I found it really hammered home the whole castaway/exile thing.

Blackskull
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 22 2016 03:28

Thanks for suggestions how to paint yellow. But I painted it really long ago, now I paint better and my FE army won`t be yellow but still thanks

greenmtvince
Kor'Ui

Post#10 » Aug 10 2016 10:33

Blackskull wrote:I've finally decided that I want to do FE army, but in every army I own I try to convert it as much as I can. So FE will not be and exeption. What I think for now is too add pockets and bags like this: http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/news ... 3/07/2.png . May not be the best image but I hope you get the idea. Also I want to give some models underslung knives. What more can I do to make my army look unique and farsight themed, not just tau in red armor? I would be happy to see some conversions of yours. Thanks in advance.

If you really want that armoured SpecOps/Contractor sort of look and aren't too far along with your project, check out the Regiments line from Anvil Industries in their Torsos Section.

Particularly the "medium armour torsos" combined with the "Pouches/Webbing Mega Pack" would make the model look very similar to the image you linked. Their armoured arms would help too, but it might take some work to fit the Tau Hands and Pulse weapon stocks to them.
Void Dreaming - Space Warfare in Warhammer 40,000

Return to “Common Workbench”