Cities of Death table build

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Cities of Death table build

Post#1 » Sep 20 2016 02:10

Hello ATT, I am starting this log to document the evolution of a Cities of Death board I am making.
I am still in the planning stage, and think the overall theme is a Manufactorum quarter with some sort of Arbites or PDF barracks.
Does anyone want to throw a few ideas around?
I can make up house rules, and I think the main motivation for this board is making a board on which my friend's nids can play me more evenly, because with the amount of terrain we have normally he has next to no cover/LoS blocking terrain.
Ideas?

LewisSniper.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Cities of Death table build

Post#2 » Sep 20 2016 06:02

Got some rules for it. the table will be around 62" by 44" I may add more tiles as the project progresses, but here are rules for six tiles as well as the road tiles wich make this modular:

Tile 1 and 3: ruins and alleyways. Both Adeptus Mechanicus manufactorums from GW.
Tile 2 is a straight piece of road, with small removable barricades and razor wire.
Tile 4 is the main part of the barracks, with a covered fuel dump/ fuel stratagem, and has an entrance/exit to the interior of the barracks.
Tile 5 is the ramp up to the barracks courtyard, with two towers with emplaced weapons that may be fired if a model is in base contact instead of itself firing. Tile 5 has an ammo dump as well.
Tile 6 is a pool and small refinery building/armoury. The pool is impassable to all except flyers, skimmers, and jet pack and jump units. Skimmers, jetpack and jump units treat it as dangerous terrain.

Tile 5 special rules:
Emplaced weapons:
Tile 5 has 2 emplacements. One of these has an Quad gun, and one has a Mortar(Astra Militarum Mortar), or the Defending player can upgrade to an Icarus Lascannon for 35 points, or a Twin-Linked heavy bolter for 20 points

Tile 6 has an Armoury with a Comms Array. This may be upgraded to an Icarus Lascannon for 35 points, a Quad gun for 50, or a twin-linked heavy bolter for 25.

The Barracks roof has an Ammo Dump. This has effect range of 6” instead of 2”.

When Deploying, roll a dice. On a 1-3, Use Vanguard Strike deployment.
On a 4+, use Hammer and Anvil, roll off to see which side deploys first as normal.

Each tile shall be 18” square, and there shall be main road tiles measuring 18” by 8”(6” for roads, 1” sidewalk either side. One road tile will be a Crossroads. This shall always be placed in the center of the map, and will be 8” by 8”.

Constructive criticism welcome :D

LewisSniper out.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Sep 20 2016 06:31

What base are you using for the tiles? I ask because if it's something plain (like some blocks of wood with basing materials applied, for example), then I would perhaps consider leaving them relatively empty and instead make your terrain free-standing (I.E. not permanently modelled onto the tiles), which would allow much greater variety in the board layout since all the features would be able to be re-arranged in almost any combination providing an almost unlimited number of possible setups (as opposed to around 36 you'd get from shifting six tiles around, if my quick rudimentary calculations are correct).

Then instead of thinking in terms of "I need tile X to have features A, B and C," you can instead think more in terms of the sort of terrain you want to include (manufactora, gun emplacements, some kind of barracks, roads etc.) and work out the number of such features you'd probably want (if you're wanting to model an industrial sector, for example, it'd make sense to have lots of manufactora for example).

Finally, if your intent is to provide a table for your friend's Tyranid army, perhaps you could consider adding some Tyranoformed features (growing capillary towers, digestion pools, Tyranidey bits growing off buildings etc.) for an interesting twist on the standard ruined Imperial City formula.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 20 2016 06:48

Free standing stuff is indeed going to be most of the terrain, with only two tiles having permanent structures (the pool and the barracks ramp tiles)

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 20 2016 07:14

Thanks for the response Kakapo, nice to see someone else from NZ on here.

The idea of having everything interchangeable is good, although the armoury is going to be designed especially for in the water/oil/toxic waste.
the main problem would be the barracks, as the barracks is going to have an interior as well, with models treating entering/exiting as difficult terrain.
Also, to clarify, the two emplacements on the barracks are going to be either side of the ramp, sort of like a gatehouse. the roads and the ramp have to be wide enough to accommodate devilfish too, so I can move (relatively) freely with vehicles.

The two ruin sections are going to be made of 3 GW Manufactorums, and the Barracks mainly scratchbuilt, with details and emplacements from the remains of the Manufactorums and the Aegis defense line as well as a bastion kit for the refinery and emplacements. My brother just sliced up an old PC for parts, so there are several pieces of thick metal mesh that I think will look nice as a walkway or floor.

Return to “Common Workbench”