Removable Hammerhead Turret

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Removable Hammerhead Turret

Post#1 » Oct 08 2016 03:38

I recently got my second hammerhead, and now I want to field the Armored Interdiction Cadre but I want to make a removable Hammerhead turret for one of the constructed Devilfish. I would prefer to avoid placing magnets on the Devilfish's hull, since I still want to use it as a Devifish. I was wondering if it's even possible to do this without magnets?

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Removable Hammerhead Turret

Post#2 » Oct 08 2016 03:52

No magnets necessary on the turret part, its snug fit, the part that needs magnetizing is the underbelly armor piece that holds the nose turret, the Devilfish comes with the BC but not the lens that the HH kit comes with.
For the greater good!

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 09 2016 10:36

Perhaps I miswrote, what I want to do is take a fully constructed Devilfish and make a removable Hammerhead turret for it, although attempting to remove the Devilfish top hatch that is already in place is something to consider.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 10 2016 12:30

Define "fully constructed" and "already in place". Normally you can just take the whole turret off of a Devilfish without any problems but there are some people who might have glued it for some reason.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 10 2016 09:16

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qO6v ... sp=sharing

The turret circled in the image is glued in on both of my Devilfish, one I got got already constructed, but I may have glued the other myself. :sad:

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 10 2016 10:33

Just use force and pull it out, there is enough leverage that won't destroy any details, if it was glued with plastic glue, then you're out of luck, as it melts the plastic joints together.
For the greater good!

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Oct 10 2016 10:36

If you've already got it glued in place, then there isn't much help we can provide. But for the future, the cupola doesn't need to be glued in place—and quite frankly you shouldn't if you plan to use Pathfinders. Pathfinders' recon drones occupy that top cupola slot when embarked.

Like this:

You see, because the cupola normally slides right out and then is put into a hammerhead turret (the turret itself simply resting in that same hole), you'll have to excuse our slight confusion on the topic. Under most circumstances, the turrets are completely interchangeable as is.

If, however, you want a more comprehensive tutorial that covers magnetization for complete interchangeability then look at our own Tael's Maki My Fish found on this page.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 11 2016 01:53

I too have glued that part in my first Devilfish, and here is what I learned by trial and error.

If you freeze the model (literally put in freezer overnight), the glue is weakened enough that twisting the "turret" back and forth with a bit of force will eventually break the glue, but leave the plastic intact.

After that, a bit of cleaning will get it ready for a hammerhead turret.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 11 2016 04:39

^ That only works if you're using super glue though?

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Oct 14 2016 08:46

boomwolf wrote:I too have glued that part in my first Devilfish, and here is what I learned by trial and error.

If you freeze the model (literally put in freezer overnight), the glue is weakened enough that twisting the "turret" back and forth with a bit of force will eventually break the glue, but leave the plastic intact.

After that, a bit of cleaning will get it ready for a hammerhead turret.

I don't think that will work with the one I built, but it is probably worth an attempt with the one I got fully built. If that doesn't work I'll have to either get creative or just get another hull...

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Common Workbench”