[Results] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

[Results] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#1 » Oct 10 2016 10:52

Welcome all to the closing ceremonies for our 2016 ATT Challenge.
These past months have been nothing short of exciting; with the feverish work of all of our members, the fantastic voting turnout, and of course, our excellent array of entries. The community has spoken, and the champions bringing home some awesome new gear are as follows:

In 1st place, with 18% of the popular vote, are the Sol'ai Pioneers, created by Calmsword.
You'll be bringing home the new Barracuda AX-5-2 kit from Forge World, courtesy of Mal'Caor. Please arrange your prize delivery via PM.

In 2nd place, with 11% of the popular vote, is the AY27 Moonfish, created by Kalten.
You've earned a one-of-a-kind "Arrow Pattern" XV8 Crisis Battlesuit to add to your Cadre. Please PM me and we'll discuss details.

In 3rd place, with 9% of the popular vote, is the AX39-1 Houndshark, created by chris13f.
Kael'yn has agreed to sponsor your Cadre with a set of custom Sept symbols to adorn your units. Please arrange the details by PM.

As you all know, however, the popular vote is not all that decides this contest. Our panel of judges has reviewed the entries to find those which were overlooked by the popular vote, but which merit a prize nonetheless.
Before we reveal the winners of the Judges' Award, I would like to give a quick thanks to our panel of judges. Our deliberation settled on some excellent entries, and some honorable mentions.
Fio'O - Tael
Fio'Vre - AgentArrow
Shas'Ui - Agent00abe
Shas'Ui - Calmsword
Shas'Ui - CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui - Czar Ziggy
Shas'Ui - Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui - Kael'yn

For the Judges' Award, our first choice was the Kroot Pechodactyl Rider, created by Ironsky.
This entry fit very well with the aesthetic and fluff of the Kroot. It ties well with the goals of the contest, as the judges felt that this entry excelled in all areas of judging: Modeling, painting, fluff, and balanced rules. It is a simple, yet unique entry and the close-up image displays the care taken to craft the model.
You have won one Tau terrain piece of your choice from the Tidewall (Shieldline, Droneport, or Gunrig) courtesy of Czar Ziggy. Please make arrangements by PM.

Our second choice was Commander Farsight (on foot), created by El ZorDacK.
This entry showcases a well executed conversion, and great attention to painting detail. The rules we found to be interesting, but not overpowered. Our primary criticism is that the special rules could be considered ambiguous and might need some fleshing out.
You have won one TX4 Piranha kit, courtesy of Macknight. Please make arrangements by PM.

Honorable mentions:
These entries did not win the Judges' Award, but merit an extra mention from the judges.

TX-145 and TX-153 A.I. Jetbikes, created by TauMan.
This entry showed a knack for conversion. The judges could spot clever use a Tau bits to craft an entry which was unique and flavorful. The rules are cumbersome, which could make playing the unit difficult, but the unique way in which two different sides of the empire utilize this technology made the entry stand out from the rest.

The Dari Hunting Team, created by Harlequin2.
The conversion and paint job on these models is well executed, and it adds a unique appearance to any Tau army. The rules are a bit strong for the points, but the overall entry deserves props.

The XV87 Warden Battlesuit, created by boomwolf.
The judges appreciate this model for its combination of rules and fluff (recognizing the error on the datasheet). It would make a great addition to the Tau army, but likely needs a points adjustment to be properly balanced.

The Mako XV-111 Commander Battlesuit, created by bluedestiny.
The idea of a transforming battlesuit is cool. The judges loved this entry for its creativity. It is perhaps what the Coldstar should have been.

The Tau Defense Hub, created by Shas'O Darklighter.
This gets a short mention for being our only fortification entry. The Tau could really use some gun emplacements outside of the Tidewall Gunrig. This entry is simple, and elegant. It is something that another user could easily emulate and use with their own Tau forces.

Thank you all for entering, and once more a thank you to all who made this challenge possible. We will have discussion and community reviews in the coming weeks before releasing a completed ATT Fandex from these entries plus some extras I have received in the meantime.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Re: [Results] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#2 » Oct 10 2016 10:56

Thank you all!

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 10 2016 11:40

Firstly, congratulations to the victors! And once again, thank you to the organisers. It's a real testament to ATT's greatness that we can have a well set-up event like this.

Agentarrow wrote:The Dari Hunting Team, created by Harlequin2.
The conversion and paint job on these models is well executed, and it adds a unique appearance to any Tau army. The rules are a bit strong for the points, but the overall entry deserves props.

Nice of you to say :biggrin: I had a lot of fun making them. I'll certainly be going over the rules again and tweaking them later. In hindsight, a possible five attacks on charge is a little much, even if it is just at Strength 3. I hope that didn't put too many people off. I also think that I could have better represented them. Maybe they could have used another picture, or at least better lighting. I'd love to hear what other people thought of them (constructive criticism welcome, as always). If anyone's interested, I can do something showcasing how they're made, expanded fluff, more pictures, etc.

Kalten
Fio'La
Fio'La

Post#4 » Oct 10 2016 11:46

Congratulations to all entrants, winners or not. This has been an experience that had me hooked to the forums the whole week. I look forward to the fan codex to see the entries that did not make the contest and I'm sure many more conversion ideas are just waiting to be discovered there.

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 10 2016 11:52

Whaaaath!!!
I'm in the break time at the Work
I'm jumping all along the place!
Oh my!!!
If you could see me!!!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 10 2016 12:06

Congratulations to all contestants.

Even the entries that were not awarded or honored here (Kroolexus, Aklen, Firesight, Nagi, Cyclone, Moray) are worthy of talents and creativity.

We look forward to see these maybe tweaked and refined if you want, now that you have more time, to build a cool fandex from those that entered and those that were not achieved in time.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 10 2016 02:06

Thanks for the honourable mention.... I'll try get some better pictures of it up soon in my WIP post. Congratulation to all the winners, public vote and judges choice. I think everyone did a superb job.

Kalten
Fio'La
Fio'La

Post#8 » Oct 10 2016 03:04

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Thanks for the honourable mention.... I'll try get some better pictures of it up soon in my WIP post. Congratulation to all the winners, public vote and judges choice. I think everyone did a superb job.

I voted for you! By pure chance, even before the contest started, I had assembled my spare rail guns in quad configurations almost exactly like the ones you used. I will finish that project with your entry in mind and use the rules as they come from the completed fandex, that's for sure.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 10 2016 04:51

Kalten wrote:
Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Thanks for the honourable mention.... I'll try get some better pictures of it up soon in my WIP post. Congratulation to all the winners, public vote and judges choice. I think everyone did a superb job.

I voted for you! By pure chance, even before the contest started, I had assembled my spare rail guns in quad configurations almost exactly like the ones you used. I will finish that project with your entry in mind and use the rules as they come from the completed fandex, that's for sure.

Thanks that means a lot. I converted my original broadsides to have HYMP so I had plenty of rail guns spare. The larger guns came very smashed up and FW nicely sent me some replacements for my tiger shark the whole project was on a shoe string budget and I'd been meaning to make some Tau versions of imperial fortifications for ages and this comp gave me that kick. I'd very much like to see what you end up with once you've finished.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 10 2016 04:59

Agentarrow wrote:The XV87 Warden Battlesuit, created by boomwolf.
The judges appreciate this model for its combination of rules and fluff (recognizing the error on the datasheet). It would make a great addition to the Tau army, but likely needs a points adjustment to be properly balanced.

Thanks for the appreciation. honestly, even being an honerable mention is a nice surprise given how much I botched the job here.
Just a bit sad there that I had to rush-job it, and as such didn't have time to properly proofread the entry, paint it right, take a decent picture or give it enough testing. (the points MIGHT be right, but honestly that effect is a wildcard as it gets, and its really hard to tell without extensive testing)

Nowhere near the quality of my Heltide, who was unfortunately not an option as the model was made long ago. so I did not meet my own standards here.

I'll probably try to find a bit of time soon in order to patch up the apperance, get a good picture and put up a fixed version of the dataslate.

Next time I will be properly prepared, and will create an entry worthy of more than an honorable mention.

As for the winners. first off, congrats guys (and/or girls), and with that said, I'd wish to give my own short review, even of only these three.

The Pioneers are truly awesome, from modeling to painting and all the way to the rules and special role they play. The only reason I didn't personally vote for them is the odd foot kroot in the mix that messes up the unit's movement, and such mismatches are a bit of a pet peeve for me.

The Moonfish got one of his votes from me as well. is it two flying Devilfishes? half an Orca? Who cares! It looks awesome.
Really, how can you say no to dropships?

The Houndshark. in my eyes its the HRR variant of the HYMP that is the Razorshark. it even repeats the same HRR/HYMP mistake of not actually being superior against any but the most awkward targets. and then it costs even more, and looses the advantage of the turret shooting.
That being said, while I can't praise the rules, there is the model. The entire entree looks like it was taken straight out of the codex. Everything else here looks like a conversion/kitbash, and some better than others-but this? I KNOW where the conversions are, and I can't even see a mismatch. Everything is aligned so perfectly and painted so accurately that I bet that if you show someone who ever saw a Razorshark a picture of both side by side, he wouldn't manage to tell what is the conversion and what is the actual model.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 10 2016 05:51

The Houndshark. in my eyes its the HRR variant of the HYMP that is the Razorshark. it even repeats the same HRR/HYMP mistake of not actually being superior against any but the most awkward targets. and then it costs even more, and looses the advantage of the turret shooting.
That being said, while I can't praise the rules, there is the model. The entire entree looks like it was taken straight out of the codex. Everything else here looks like a conversion/kitbash, and some better than others-but this? I KNOW where the conversions are, and I can't even see a mismatch. Everything is aligned so perfectly and painted so accurately that I bet that if you show someone who ever saw a Razorshark a picture of both side by side, he wouldn't manage to tell what is the conversion and what is the actual model.

Thanks for the nice words. So going a little bit behind the model this was my first contest within ATT so the parameters I told a bit too literal. I wanted it to feel like a codex entry but afterwards I saw how the fluff and pictures didnt do it justice because i wrote it as close to possible as a codex entry. I also wanted it to be a failure in the fluff, i based it on a ju-87 from ww2 which i really enjoy. I wanted the conversion to be simple and show that they tried to use it but explaining why we don't see it main stream. My personal favorite part that so many people in person don't notice is that i actually moved the cockpit forward to match the fluff. Overall it was a blast to make and i love looking at it on my shelf but maybe next time ill do better.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Oct 10 2016 07:14

This Challenge was a highly creative turnout across the board. So many ideas and methods, the models are bound to inspire new conversions among fellow members.

I posted a cartoon of me crying at the glory of it all; pretty much sums up my reaction - no matter where peoples entries were weak at one skill, but excelled at another - the creativity on display was more than I could hope for.

The ATT membership has come a long way since the first Firewarrior painting challenge. I think my personal favourite since then was the Auxiliary Challenge.

2016? Pretty much encompassed all of it. Big shout out to AgentArrow for championing the challenge and waving the banner amidst a team of admin support. All the sponsors for awards, thank you, thank you.

I suspect that is what is great about Tau modelling; our scope is quite broad. Anything else is yet more Power Armour, or bemuscled Ork; snarly Tyranid - but tau can go from high tech to lo-tech, Tau to alien, and all the castes inbetween. A great faction to model for.

- Tael. :D

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 10 2016 08:34

Congrats to the winners, but everyone did a good job. I look forward to seeing some project logs.

Tael wrote:This Challenge was a highly creative turnout across the board. So many ideas and methods, the models are bound to inspire new conversions among fellow members.

I agree, this has made me want to attempt more conversions for my own army.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Oct 10 2016 08:47

Yeah this contest has made me want to do an entire "experimental" army from our community codex with all of our entries.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Oct 11 2016 12:06

Wow Thanks Judges! That has made my day. :biggrin:

It seems to be true for many other entries, but this project had always been on my to-do list, but had never quite made it to the top of the pile. Thanks to all who organised this event, it has been a great experience all round.

Return to “Common Workbench”