[Results] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
chris13f
Shas'Saal

Re: [Results] Challenge 2016: Research and Development

Post#11 » Oct 10 2016 05:51

The Houndshark. in my eyes its the HRR variant of the HYMP that is the Razorshark. it even repeats the same HRR/HYMP mistake of not actually being superior against any but the most awkward targets. and then it costs even more, and looses the advantage of the turret shooting.
That being said, while I can't praise the rules, there is the model. The entire entree looks like it was taken straight out of the codex. Everything else here looks like a conversion/kitbash, and some better than others-but this? I KNOW where the conversions are, and I can't even see a mismatch. Everything is aligned so perfectly and painted so accurately that I bet that if you show someone who ever saw a Razorshark a picture of both side by side, he wouldn't manage to tell what is the conversion and what is the actual model.

Thanks for the nice words. So going a little bit behind the model this was my first contest within ATT so the parameters I told a bit too literal. I wanted it to feel like a codex entry but afterwards I saw how the fluff and pictures didnt do it justice because i wrote it as close to possible as a codex entry. I also wanted it to be a failure in the fluff, i based it on a ju-87 from ww2 which i really enjoy. I wanted the conversion to be simple and show that they tried to use it but explaining why we don't see it main stream. My personal favorite part that so many people in person don't notice is that i actually moved the cockpit forward to match the fluff. Overall it was a blast to make and i love looking at it on my shelf but maybe next time ill do better.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Oct 10 2016 07:14

This Challenge was a highly creative turnout across the board. So many ideas and methods, the models are bound to inspire new conversions among fellow members.

I posted a cartoon of me crying at the glory of it all; pretty much sums up my reaction - no matter where peoples entries were weak at one skill, but excelled at another - the creativity on display was more than I could hope for.

The ATT membership has come a long way since the first Firewarrior painting challenge. I think my personal favourite since then was the Auxiliary Challenge.

2016? Pretty much encompassed all of it. Big shout out to AgentArrow for championing the challenge and waving the banner amidst a team of admin support. All the sponsors for awards, thank you, thank you.

I suspect that is what is great about Tau modelling; our scope is quite broad. Anything else is yet more Power Armour, or bemuscled Ork; snarly Tyranid - but tau can go from high tech to lo-tech, Tau to alien, and all the castes inbetween. A great faction to model for.

- Tael. :D

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 10 2016 08:34

Congrats to the winners, but everyone did a good job. I look forward to seeing some project logs.

Tael wrote:This Challenge was a highly creative turnout across the board. So many ideas and methods, the models are bound to inspire new conversions among fellow members.

I agree, this has made me want to attempt more conversions for my own army.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Oct 10 2016 08:47

Yeah this contest has made me want to do an entire "experimental" army from our community codex with all of our entries.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Oct 11 2016 12:06

Wow Thanks Judges! That has made my day. :biggrin:

It seems to be true for many other entries, but this project had always been on my to-do list, but had never quite made it to the top of the pile. Thanks to all who organised this event, it has been a great experience all round.

Return to “Common Workbench”