Painted R'Varna Cannon has Bent

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Thomas Ell
Shas

Painted R'Varna Cannon has Bent

Post#1 » Oct 16 2016 04:18

I've have an R'Varna for a while, and as you can expect with forgeworld, when it arrived several of its parts needed to be reset. Since then I've basecoated it, but not done much else with it, but I came back to it a couple of days ago and found that one of its cannons has become slightly bent.

Is there a way for me to reset this without needing to strip it, or am I going to need to strip it and then try again?
Last edited by Thomas Ell on Oct 17 2016 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

Macknight
Shas'La

Re: Bent R'Varna Cannon

Post#2 » Oct 16 2016 04:31

Yeah, simply heat up a pot of hot water via coffee maker, then soak the bent resin in for like 30 sec. If not working, soak it longer; if it still not working, then you need a hotter pot of water, so boil some water and then repeat process.
For the greater good!

Thomas Ell
Shas

Re: Bent R'Varna Cannon

Post#3 » Oct 17 2016 12:11

OK, so the hot water shouldn't damage the paint then?

Miond
Shas

Re: Painted R'Varna Cannon has Bent

Post#4 » Oct 17 2016 08:43

The paints are usually acrylic, which melts at ~160 celcius, so boiling water shouldn't damage the paint. The paint may be softer than usual, so you should avoid using hard tools when handling it.

Also, don't burn yourself :b

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 17 2016 09:32

Maybe varnish it first to be safe?

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Dec 31 2016 07:46

So I have a technique that I use where I heat it up with the hot water but then I also shock it after with cold ice water. When I do that I have never had a piece move again. Don't know if that if anyone has ever tried this but as far as it goes for me it always works. It tends to stabilize the resins better then normal.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 01 2017 04:47

Chris in the socal wrote:So I have a technique that I use where I heat it up with the hot water but then I also shock it after with cold ice water. When I do that I have never had a piece move again. Don't know if that if anyone has ever tried this but as far as it goes for me it always works. It tends to stabilize the resins better then normal.

I use this technique as well, hoever it does tend to make the model more brittle. Varnish does help this.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Return to “Common Workbench”