New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Tael
Fio'O

Re: New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

Post#21 » Jan 08 2017 10:45

Looking okay,Ifrit's advice is solid feedback. :)

Man I love the new Firewarrior plastics, so stout with strong lines. A great update to our venerable warriors of old.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jan 12 2017 05:24

So I did it. :p Or at least, I tried. It was a new experience for me, painting models, in pretty much every sense. I like working with my hands, so the modelling part of it wasn't that foreign. But painting? Completely new. It's fun though, to see your models come to life, to have something very cool in front of you that you made, with your own hands. Here's what I managed to do (and btw, this is a different model than the one in the priming picture because its pose was easier for me to work with):

I learned a couple things doing this. One, thin your paints. :D I tried very hard to follow that advice to the letter, and I did for the most part, but I somehow managed to forget to do this while painting the tau thing on the shoulder plate. I'll never do that again. I also found out my smallest brush isn't small enough for the really fine detail work, so the lens will not be painted until I get an appropriate brush.

I'm not done yet. I need advice on what to do next, namely highlighting/shading the green parts and working on the gun. That's where I really need some specific advice, as I've never done anything like this before. Thanks in advance!

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#23 » Jan 13 2017 01:15

A nice, solid paint scheme.

For highlighting the armour... try drybrushing as opposed to an edge highlight. Basically get a fat, chisel shaped brush. get a lighter green than the armour. Do not thin it this time. Lightly load the brush and then wipe off most of the paint on a cloth before lightly brushing the edges of the armour. You can find tutorials on youtube to help you.

Blank ink/wash can be used in the panel lines in the armour/gun to give a feeling of depth plus use it on the silver parts of the gun.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jan 13 2017 10:39

Thank you, I do like the way the color scheme turned out. I want to see what it looks like when more of the model is yellow, probably the shoulder pad (which I'll do on the shas'ui).

The shading is working well, though I do not seem to be able to control it very well. It leaves little marks on the armor that I have to paint over. Not a big deal to paint over it, for me at least, but am I doing something wrong? Also, I know about drybrushing, but how do I drybrush the flat armor panels? What exactly would be the raised part? I know that question probably sounds very idiotic, but I want to do the best I can. :biggrin: Even with the marks left by the shading, the model looks MUCH better with it, the lines and small details really pop more, and all the questions and research seems to be manifesting itself in a first model that doesn't look half bad. :D

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jan 14 2017 12:34

The trick with shading is to have a very fine brush and thin coats building it up like you would your paint. Or you can cheat and get a fine tipped black marker. :biggrin: I've done it and it works pretty good. Still takes a few passes though.

With the flat armor panels (in my experience) I I mostly do where the panels meet. Or the corners and drop my highlights there.
Not sure if you've seen this but I hope it helps.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6667

And final bit of advice the only idiotic question is the unasked one. The whole purpose of this forum is to educate all in the Greater Good. :biggrin:

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#26 » Jan 21 2017 11:31

I've been working on my minis a lot. I still need to pick up a smaller brush, so I have yet to try paining the lens on any model. Consequently, I've just been doing the models one at a time, painting up all the other parts. It's going pretty well, but I messed up one of the shoulder pads pretty bad. Too much paint, I think. Anyways, I took it off the model (which is otherwise actually probably my best one yet, which is ironic), and I need advice on how to strip the paint off of that one little piece. I've already looked up some tutorials, but I want to get a firsthand account from you guys - you haven't steered me wrong so far, and since the tutorials suggest everything from PineSol to Brake Fluid, I need clearer advice. :P Thanks in advance.

Return to “Common Workbench”