New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
sandgoblin
Shas'La

New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

Post#1 » Nov 29 2016 09:39

Hello all!

I joined this forum two years ago, eager to start delving into the world of 40k, and of the Tau in particular. I asked for advice on painting, very basic stuff. Y'all were quite helpful! Then I was off to start my (hopefully) long adventure into the 41st millennium.

Yeah, didn't happen.

Games Workshop models are expensive, the universe is vast, I was broke, I could go on with reasons. Basically, I was never able to actually get into the miniatures and gaming sides of the hobby, though I was able to get into lore a bit and did pick up both the rule book and 6E codex.

Now, however, I am back, and ready to start, for real this time. :D I am no longer broke, I have the typical teenage job, I am more comfortable with the universe, and Christmas is coming up, giving me a prime window to start up the miniatures side of the hobby. I am asking for the "Stat Collecting" box as well as the 7e tau codex.

I do, however, need advice on what to get in order to actually paint the models. I'll be going with a green color scheme with yellow as a secondary, exact shades to be decided. I know that in order to start, I'll need a palette, x-acto knife (already have cause those things are useful), brushes, paint, glue, and white primer. I know that I'm going to need, obviously, green and yellow paint. Duh. I also know I'll need washes and other paints to wash and drybrush the models for shades and highlights. This being what I know, I have two questions for you guys. What else do I need, and how many paints do I need to buy for washing and drybrushing specifically? I know I'll need other shades of paint, but I'm not sure exactly what. Probably white, black, and a shade of grey. I'll need stuff for details, like the eye lenses. Once I get comfortable, I'll also eventually need to paint Tau minis with skin and faces showing; what will I need? As for questions two, should i have 1 wash and 1 drybrush per color (so 6 paints)? More? Less? I have read up on the basic and general, now I just want some specifics so I know what to buy in order to try applying that basic and general to my minis. :)

Tael
Fio'O

Re: New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

Post#2 » Nov 29 2016 09:57

Hi Sandgoblin :)

Well, yeah it can be daunting. The hobby expanded as I grew up so never experienced that kind of overwhelming choice issues. Okay maybe when a new kit comes out full of cool bits I can kitbash with ;)

Right, best place for you to browse is the Resource Section. and ATT Painting Resource List

In there you will find besides the following, a host of cool articles by the membership.

These examples of mine should give you a good idea of what you need paint wise and making your life easier when painting. You'll note I tend to use three shades and an occaisional wash.

Painting Tau Skin.
Painting Tau Lenses
Painting Tau Shas'la
Wet Palette Painting

Hope this helps - as always you can start a test model and the crew will chip in advice as you go :)

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#3 » Nov 30 2016 02:41

I suggest starting out with the getting started box for Tau.

Gives you some great starter units that will always be usefully to have as a Tau player.

Start with just 1 or 2 models. Always test paint before painting 500.00 bucks of models in a certain paint scheme.

I suggest painting a drone and a single firewarrior in the colors you want then make adjustments. You may find that the colors don't blend well at all..

Before you start to paint a model Google the model and check images. Get a idea of what is already out there color Wise. You can pick up some cool ideas and see some great examples of what not to do!

Videos!

How to paint a Fire Warrior
https://youtu.be/KVnpaxnzUFw

How to paint tau flesh
https://youtu.be/E0WvQL3CqAs

How to paint a suit
https://youtu.be/CtZnWSU4JjE

Watching videos are great tools! Even if the color scheme isn't what your gonna be doing! Watch the process, observe the tools used etc. Pick up techniques.

You wanna respect your expensive models not ruin them.

Thin down your paints! Lord Duncan of GW first of his name all hail Gamesworkshop!

Does a great job of showing you how to do this. The reason I stress this is cause when you don't thin your paints it dries clumpy. Thinned down paint dries flat and looks smooth.

Make sure to remove your mold lines with a hobby knife and sand paper. Nothing ruins your paint job more then a mold line.

Paint makes them really noticeable...

The most important thing! It's your army! Your no one else's! Paint it how you want have fun! Always have fun!

What I say, doesn't matter in the end cause it's yours. Do with it what you will! And update often! Share your work even if no one comments just keep posting! :)

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#4 » Nov 30 2016 04:49

Thanks for the advice guys. I do indeed know to thin my paints, and of course I'll change or scrap the idea should the first mini come out not looking good to me. I'll cross that bridge (and soak up that advice) when I get there,

However, for now, I need advice on the step immediately prior - buying the supplies I need to implement my scheme and follow all that good advice I've read up on and gotten from you guys. :D

I know I need paint brushes of various sizes (I have the sizes written down somewhere), white primer, fine grain sandpaper, superglue, and a palette to start. I already have a suitable work space and an X-Acto Knife.

What I DON'T know, and therefore what I need advice on, is my paints. I want a green and gold-ish yellow color scheme. So I obviously need green and gold-ish yellow paint. After that, I'm kinda stumped. I know I'll need both paints for highlighting (drybrushing) and shading (washing) these two base colors, as well as some neutral colors, and colors for fine details like the eye lenses on helmets and suits. How much will I need for each? Like, would it be one highlight paint and one wash for each base color? More? Less? Do I need pure white and black, or very close shades of gray, or both? What colors will I need for those extra details? That kinda stuff. Thanks in advance.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#5 » Nov 30 2016 11:24

Oh okay!

Get these paint to start off on the scheme. I am gonna make my suggestions base off what I would use for my own models attempting this scheme on a tabletop basic level 4 scheme. Is a solid mid card scheme with a lot of room to improve over time.

Primers

Krylon Ultra Flat brand comes in white, grey or black

I suggest white or grey

Paints

GW, Vallejo or Army Painter brand

Black,
White

These are standard must have colors. You can always add a drop of white to another color to lighten it down for a completely different shade of that color. Same goes for black to darken a color to a different shade. This technique is great for blending.

I am not sure what brands you have near you or if your ordering online. I will do my suggestions in GW paints and vallejo

GW Paints

Your main color " Armor Plates "

1.Calidan Green
2.Warpstone green
Highlight - Moot green

Your Secondary Color " Armor Plates "
1.Gothor brown
2.Baneblade brown
3.Avalan sunset
Highlight - Grit yellow

Your Third Color " Legs, hedges etc "
Eshin grey
Dawn stone

Your Metalic parts

Balthazar gold
Retribution gold
Leadberchel

Your lens

Korne red
Mephiston red
Pink horror

Or if you want blue

Kantor blue
Mackragga blue
Tennis blue

GW washes

Nulin Oil
Agras earth shade
Reiklan flesh

Vallejo Paints

Gloss Varnish and Satin Varnish

Skulls

GW paint

Zandi dust
Screaming skull

If your gonna paint white panels or markings get

GW paints

Celestial grey
Utheral grey

I would look for any other color you want when looking at the rack too.

This is what I would suggest to start out on your scheme. Things will naturally adjust on the paints you use. If you want clarification on why I suggest each paint I can go into more detail.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 01 2016 05:18

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for. :D So do I buy and use one wash for everything?

I am ordering online. I would like to save money and also get paints that are relatively convenient to work with - acrylics seems to be the one. However, I'd like to also have quality paint, so what brands would you recommend? I'm fine with not using all the same brand, as I've seen many people on multiple forums that swear by different brands depending on what type of paint is used. I.e, a guy who swears by the Krylon primer, GW washes, and Vallejo for everything else.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#7 » Dec 01 2016 08:49

You do not need to use a wash on everything, it's a very common practice though, washes are used for affect and shading. Using to much can ruin your paint job and appear lazy..

Expecially with tau things pool weird due to the curves, be selective in where you use washes " Recesses, cracks etc " are good spots.

The washes I recommend are the most commonly used ones. They should serve you well.

I use four major brands for my paint. GW, Army Painter, Vallejo and Secret weapons.

I suggest Vallejo and gw they have the greatest selection of colors.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 03 2016 06:41

I'll go with Vallejo for most of my paint, they are cheaper. They only seem to sell in packs though - the folkstone basics set looks good, lots of different colors, including two shades of green, a gold,a yellow, a black, a white, and shades of brown.

EDIT: Nvmd I am dumb I found websites selling them individually. I am using a paint color conversion chart to convert all those colors to Vallejo. Based off of what seems to be common agreement, I'll stick with citadel for washes and metallics though.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#9 » Dec 04 2016 10:24

Vallejo for all but Citadel for metal and washes. Completely agree.

Great response Demorte, thanks man!

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#10 » Dec 27 2016 07:41

Alright, back again! I got my miniatures and paints for Christmas, and I set out to start my tau army. Today, I finished assembling (have yet to paint) my first tau mini, and I'll get to painting it ASAP, but I first wanted to check in and make sure I'm not messing up before I even touch a brush.

Alright so I do apologize for the poor lighting, but I think I've done a good job prepping it for primer. My main concern is the spots of discoloration on the head, scope, etc, where the mini was attached to the sprue. I used an x-acto knife and fine grain sandpaper to smooth it out, and those discolored patches are smooth and flush with the rest of the mini. However, I still just wanted to check to make sure that's normal - a google search wasn't particularly helpful. Advice on this, and any other advice pertaining to either assembly or priming (especially that, considering I'm doing it next), is greatly appreciated and welcomed.
Last edited by sandgoblin on Dec 27 2016 09:26, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Common Workbench”