New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Denirosek
Por'La

Re: New Player Starting Up, Looking For Advice

Post#11 » Dec 27 2016 08:09

I am afraid the links with the images are broken or something else had happened as I can't see the pictures at all.
Prosper, as Tau shall.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#12 » Dec 27 2016 09:27

Yes, I can see that. Hopefully it should be fixed now.

Denirosek
Por'La

Post#13 » Dec 28 2016 07:42

Yes, it is. He looks sweet and I really can't wait to see him painted :D I hope I'll get to start painting my Fire Warriors as well ^^
Prosper, as Tau shall.

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#14 » Dec 28 2016 09:14

To answer your question; yes there's going to be a slight discoloration but as long as it's smooth it should be fine. Be careful with using the sand paper because it might leave tiny invisible scratches to the naked eye but become glaringly obvious when primer/paint is added to it. So one of the last things I do before priming is run the knife over the it last and that gets it back to smooth again.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#15 » Dec 28 2016 12:17

Alright, thank you for the answer! I will make sure to smooth it out with the knife before priming, which I am about to do right now, actually. I have Krylon Covermax flat white primer, hopefully that should work just fine.

EDIT: What should the mini look like primed? Completely white or white-ish grey?

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#16 » Dec 28 2016 02:57

Depending on the color of the primer it should be predominantly that color. But you don't want to go so heavy that you obliterate the details. Just like when air brushing its best to do thin coats. I do about 2 coats. I'll hit one side let it dry then hit the other side. And generally the overspray will make sure it's covered.
Also I'm sure someone probably already mentioned it but you should for sure test your scheme out on a single model first.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#17 » Dec 28 2016 09:39

OK, so I primed it, and this is the result

I think I did it fine, maybe a tad too much on the mini's right arm and face. I know it looks like the bottom lens on the face has been covered by primer, but that's the lighting.

EDIT: Resized photo and cropped it so it wasn't as big.

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#18 » Dec 29 2016 08:21

Yeah looks good. Cool thing about primer is a little bit goes along way. You don't have to "paint" the model. Holding the can about 6ish inches goes a long way. At that point it's just kind of "overspraying". And as long as you have some primer on it the paint will stick. I also recommend doing a couple of sealing coats with a "clear" spray to seal the model. It prevents chipping or scrapes. I think Testors is a really good brand that a lot of enthusiasts stand behind.

sandgoblin
Shas'La

Post#19 » Dec 30 2016 01:06

Thanks, I've been holding the can about 8 inches away, aiming first away from the model and then bringing it across so that the paint layer remains thin. As for the clear spray, do you mean a matte finish or varnish? Because if so, I know about that, but I was under the impression that one applies a finish after the mini (or whatever else one may paint, for that matter) has been painted.

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#20 » Dec 30 2016 03:14

Yeah sorry I meant that it's the final step. You could also do it in between steps as well. For example you spray your base coat down with an airbrush then you could do a small coat of the clear to protect it from the oils on your finger tips and what not. I've accidentally rubbed paint off before and it's a little annoying to have to go back.

Return to “Common Workbench”