My converted Commander Shas'O J'Ka Yan (Picture Heavy)

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Draezymous
Shas'La
Shas'La

My converted Commander Shas'O J'Ka Yan (Picture Heavy)

Post#1 » Mar 29 2017 07:30

Hello ATT!

It has been ages and some since I had any involvement with anything 40K, or modelling/painting for that matter. I return to you with my latest creation; my very own commander converted from a Broadside kit! My main reasoning for kit bashing a broadside is that at the time we only had the crapcast commander (which I still have unassembled in the box after nearly 3 years due to a horrible miscast and the parts bending out of shape after letting the box lay in the sun a single afternoon), and since I didn't really like the design of the finecast commander I decided to build my own. At the time of my choosing we didn't have the revamped crisis box, or the (new) plastic commander (to me he is new at least!), so I went with a broadside to also make my commander a bit bulkier.

Anyways, after cutting some parts up, adding some extra spare parts from other broadside kits, and using lots, and I mean LOTS of green stuff (nearly full two bars) I finally managed to get an idea of what I wanted to make. I stagnated a bit once I needed to make the jetpacks, considering there are none in the broadside kit. I ended up using two seeker missles as the ''base'' an then added pieces of frame and green stuff to make the ''top''. I actually added the SMS since I thought it looked cool, and in my opinion any jetpack should be graced with a missle pod/SMS, even if it's just decorative. I can remove the SMS and then have spots for 2 other weapons as well (ie, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, etc). Lastly, the transparent green bars and screen are simply Lego parts, slightly cut and modified to fit on my commander. The green bars on the guns are from a Necron Warriors sprue (the rods that go inside the guns).

So without further ado, here I present Shas'O j'Kaara Yanoi [Commander Mirrored Moon]! The first two pictures are in ''natural'' light, the others are with the flashlight from the camera.

As for a little fluff explanation; My commander's name is Mirrored Moon because when he fires his guns, the spheres of light that radiate from both his arms and the impact place resemble twin, identical, moons. The green rods are present on his battlesuit to regulate energy through various weapons and support systems, as well as communicating with his various soldiers.

Comments and Critique welcome, and if you guys would be interested in some more in-depth fluff, just let me know! :D

Tau'va!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: My converted Commander Shas'O J'Ka Yan (Picture Heavy)

Post#2 » Mar 29 2017 05:47

Draezymous

I've seen some crazy conversions, but this has to be the craziest! :D

So are those twin triple-linked railguns, or triple twin-linked railguns? Can't figure that out, but what's that stat line on them? Now I don't run a strict codex army myself, but do you have your own "rules" for this guy?
Shas'O'J'Karra'yanoi seems definitely subscribe to the The War School of Mo'dac'ca.

Mo'dac'ca: {expression} “Mordakka” a borrowing from the original Be’gel language. Meaning to require additional firepower, or if having an insufficient amount of firepower, to request more. [Note refers to the “quantity” not the “quality” of rounds fired.] [F.E. F.c.]

(Adding this to the Lexicon soon!)

Modeling/Painting
Really nice detail painting, can't say I've seen a entirely purple Tau army before. (There maybe some out there, probably on this forum, but I haven't seen them.)
Just one thing though, some filing and sanding on the areas of green stuff, would have given the models an extra level of sharpness, and a cleaner look.

Again, what a crazy conversions, if nothing else it should scare the bejesus out of any opponent! ;)

The TauMan

PS Great name for your Shas'O!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 31 2017 01:05

You sure have made the shootyist Shas'O :D Have you got any working shots of building him? I like the seeker missiles in the shoulders

Draezymous
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Apr 01 2017 01:26

TauMan: Thank you kindly, the guns are actually the J'Kaara Yanoi Cannons, but I suppose triple twin linked heavy rail rifles has a ring to it as well! ;) My main inspiration was the Gundam Heavy Arms from the series Gundam Wing, Im just not too much a fan of barrels on my guns, so I tried to make a kind of fusion blaster like gun. Im also indeed a follower of ''the shootier the better'', hence the ''over the top'' guns? Unfortunately, Im no pro at modelling, but I'll be sure to keep your tip about sandpaper in mind! I plan on converting again soon, so Im sure it'll come in handy, thank you very much!

As for the tabletop, I normally run him simply as a Mark'O with dual plasma rifles, but I do indeed have a ''custom ruleset'' for him if you're interested. However, to justify and explain some of the rules, you should know a little of my fluff I suppose.

J'Ka Yan operates as the sole leader of the Obsidium Battleforce (Obsidium is the material my cadre's equipment is made of, hence the metallic purple look), which is the only means of defense/expansion my Tau Colony has. My colony is isolated from the main Empire, though they are no defectors. However, as such the few tau remaining from the original expedition are precious to the colony, and there are few lives that can be spared for the military prowess of the cadre. As such, Shas'O J'Ka Yan and his Ethereals had instructed their remaining earth caste engineers to device a sophisticated AI, which Shas'O J'Ka Yan can give directions to during the battle. As such, when the Obsidium Battleforce marches to war, most if it are automations and directing AI's, with sometimes extra input from J'Ka Yan or some of his other officers. While materials can be scarce and valuable, this method has proven very effective in maintaining a healthy population rate at the colony. In battle the various AI streamline data to each other and J'Ka Yan, allowing for rapid battleplan adaptions and devastating attacks on enemy weak spots.

Shas'O J'Ka Yan 220 pts
WS: 2
BS: 5
S: 5
T: 5
W: 4
I: 2
A: 2
Ld: 10
Sv: 2+

Unit Type: Jet Pack Infantry (Character)
Unit Composition: 1 (Unique)
Wargear:
Twin-Linked Smart Missile System
Stimulant Injector
Velocity Tracker
(Can choose to have Skyfire on all weapons during the Shooting Phase)
Shield Generator (4+ Invulnerable Save)
Warlord Trait:
A Ghost Who Walks Among Us (3D6 Jetpack Thrust move)
Special Rules:
Independent Character
Supporting Fire
Very Bulky
Feel no Pain
(Stimulant Injector)
Signature System:
J'Kaara Yanoi Battlesuit
The J'Kaara Yanoi Battlesuit is equipped with the J'Kaara Yanoi Rifles, a Blacksun Filter, and a Multi-Tracker. Furthermore, it provides +1 Toughness and a 2+ Armour Save. Oherwise it follows all rules for a Crisis Battlesuit.

J'Kaara Yanoi Rifles
Range: 30''
S: 7
AP: 2
Special Rules:
Assault 3, Twin-Linked, Mirrored Moon Shot

Mirrored Moon Shot: If Shas'O J'Ka Yan remains stationary in his movement phase, he can forfeit all his shooting attacks (this includes any attacks with his Smart Missile System) and make a single Mirrored Moon shot with the following profile:

Mirrored Moon Shot
Range: 60''
S: 8
AP: 1
Special Rules:
Ordnance 1, Large Blast

If Shas'O J'Ka Yan uses this profile, he cannot make use of his Jetpack Thrust Move in the following Assault Phase.

--

Ironsky: Thank you, I was aiming for that haha :D Ive looked, and only found 4 photo's unfortunately, but here they are! I hope they can give you a better idea of how I build him!

Return to “Common Workbench”