Is it worth magnetizing options???

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Is it worth magnetizing options???

Post#1 » May 28 2017 10:32

I am considering magnetizing my wargear options for my new XV8 Crisis team, and I am worried that I will permanently damage the model or gear. At the same time, I also want to be able to use a single team of three in different configurations. So is doing this worth it, and is there a easy way to achieve it?
For the Tau'va ATT!!!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Is it worth magnetizing options???

Post#2 » May 28 2017 10:43

If you don't, you will regret it. That's all you'll ever need to know :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » May 28 2017 10:47

Once you get the hang or it magnetising is the best thing ever.
You have all the options available to you when building a list and you can get such thin magnets it doesn't make the model look weird
Definitely worth getting into

GiantContrabandRobot
Shas

Post#4 » May 28 2017 10:48

This is something I've been looking into myself. While I cannot speak from experience on the act of it, I can assure you that, back in high school, I was a lot more interested in having a completed-looking model than anything else. As a result, I need to either specify what each crisis suit is in advance (assuming my opponent has been understanding), or I just play it as sight-seen (if they're being more strict).

I have recently found a rather simple video going over it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3UdL7Nf0Q

I've also found a few threads just now because of trying to investigate into this (so thank you for that!) from this very site.

Discussion on Magnet Size:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23930

A how-to guide:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14639&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Another guide featuring pictures:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3519&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
(Reading it over, I quite like this one.)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » May 29 2017 12:19

There is also this topic which is still WIP but gives advice on purchasing, types of mounting and some tutorials.

[WIP] Tutorial - Magnetisation

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » May 29 2017 12:26

I used tiny magnets and with only one magnet the weapons spun when the model was moved. Placing two magnets right next to each other fixed that. Also be sure to check the polarity of the magnets so that you can use the same weapon on different suits.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » May 29 2017 04:25

Here's the magnetising i did. I didn't do the neatest job, but it's worth it.

I used 3mm magnets for the main hold and 2mm ones to stabilise them. I wouldn't use 2mm to hold the weapons alone as they aren't strong enough.

Also i think the strength of mine were N50 or N52. Anyway, i got them pretty cheaply on ebay and would definitely recommend following the magnetising guide already mentioned.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » May 29 2017 06:25

Crsis suits-you either mag, or tac. never glue.
I am tacing, but that's an inferior method, and should really get to maging them at some point.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » May 29 2017 07:21

Yep magnetizing is definitely recommended unless you want to build a squad with a specific narrative for them in mind (so you would never switch the weapons for them anyway).

As soon as I get my hands on a drill I'll magnetize and finish my Crisis as well. :D

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » May 29 2017 09:29

Hungry_Bert wrote:I used 3mm magnets for the main hold and 2mm ones to stabilise them. I wouldn't use 2mm to hold the weapons alone as they aren't strong enough.

What if I pack two 2mm magnets only in the arm or weapon or even on both. would that fix the strength issue..?
Thanks
Cheers!
Nix

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » May 29 2017 10:30

Definitely check and double check polarity. I have made that hilarious and annoying mistake before

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » May 29 2017 10:32

nix0n wrote:
Hungry_Bert wrote:I used 3mm magnets for the main hold and 2mm ones to stabilise them. I wouldn't use 2mm to hold the weapons alone as they aren't strong enough.

What if I pack two 2mm magnets only in the arm or weapon or even on both. would that fix the strength issue..?
Thanks

Probably not. Also, it's a massive pain in the rear trying to glue 2 magnets that close to one another. They just love each other too much!

I highly recommend using some non-ferrous tweezers (plastic) as I had major problems trying to get mine into place by hand. Especially once I'd already glued one magnet in!

I glued magnets into the weapons and the arms, rather then using a bit of paperclip in one. This gives a much better hold, but you'll need to make sure you get the polarities correct.

To do this I magnetised 1 plasma cannon and then used that as the template for all the arms. Then I used one of the arms as a template for all the weapons. I only messed up the polarity on one of them, but I think that was down to the fact that I wasn't using tweezers and ended up with superglue all over my fingers.

I didn't do this very neatly, there are others who have done a much nicer job than I did. But then I didn't have a hand drill and that meant I had to hold my drill bits by hand...

Also, make sure the hole you're drilling in 0.5mm bigger than the magnet!

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » May 29 2017 11:37

nix0n wrote:

Thanks

I used the two tiny magnets in the suit and two in the weapons. It hold great in the table, I've never had a weapon fall off.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » May 29 2017 12:59

Hungry_Bert, MNGamer thank you very much!
Really helpful information!
Cheers!
Nix

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » May 29 2017 05:31

No worries mate, let us know how it goes :D

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jun 20 2017 11:40

Pyropower wrote:Definitely check and double check polarity. I have made that hilarious and annoying mistake before

I use a "master" weapon/option to relate all my new magnet attachments for correct polarity, attach the new loose magnet to the weapon and use the weapon as a "tweezer" to drop the mag into it's new socket before sliding it off and away while it glues.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jun 20 2017 07:00

boomwolf wrote:Crsis suits-you either mag, or tac. never glue.
I am tacing, but that's an inferior method, and should really get to maging them at some point.

Or you just shove the gun in that little mounting hole and hope it stays in via pressure-fit! That's what I did when I was a kid :P

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jun 21 2017 01:24

I didn't magnetize for years, as soon as i took the plunge i never ever went back.

I brought out the old craft knife and cut everything off. Best decision you will ever make.
Just don't go too crazy.

XV8 weapons only!

Return to “Common Workbench”