My First Tau Army

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Joe5952
Shas

My First Tau Army

Post#1 » Jul 02 2017 12:59

This is my very second attempt at posting at ATT. The first one I tried to do, I accidentally hit post as I was typing the title. Not only am I New to posting but I'm also new to the 40k tabletop. I have yet to play a game mostly because I would like to have my army painted first. It's not like I wouldn't play against someone with an unpainted army, I just don't like fielding unpainted models. So with one mess up and my rambling over with let's look at what I had painted in April.
This little force was all ready to play a game of seventh edition kill team but then SWA came out and then 8th edition. I do have quite a few more models that I have painted since then, which I will post on this subject in a couple days when I can take pictures of them.

As you can see I'm painting them in Vior'la style and I intend to play them in the hot blooded and close and personal way. It's going to be made up of a bunch of breachers and battlesuits, with a small contingent of pathfinders, firewarriors, broadside, and an ethereal to provide support for them.

Here is a close up of my "characters", not all of them will really be shas'uis but they look cool. Two of them will be breacher team shas'uis, the one in the good will be a railrifle pathfinder, and the samurai looking one may be a firewarrior shas'ui or just a normal one (not sure yet).

Here is a picture of the painted breacher team shas'ui. I haven't come up with a specific name for him yet but I plan on him being the kind of shas'you that charges his breacher team into battle guns blazing. I also plan for his name to be more of a title that a new member of his squad takes up each time he does in battle, like commander brightsword. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to take a picture of him unpainted, but I will explain how I made him.
The pulse pistol in his right hand comes from the firewarrior kit, but the left one I had to make myself with a spare pulse pistol that comes in the kit and that one hand that looks like it's holding shotgun shells.
The cape is just green stuff that I put into place after I put on the backpack, but before I put on the shoulder pad. The little flag, which I will show a step by step process with pictures in a later post, is just a pulse rifle with green stuff tied to the top.

Here is the only picture I thought to take of the other shas'ui.
I have painted him since then and I will post some pictures of him painted as soon as I can. I intend for him to be a stoic survivor of many battles who, through the same mirraculus process as knight commander pask, crawls his way back to friendly territory even after being presumed dead.
I will give a brief overview of how I modeled him, which may look very familiar to those who follow Tael. For the bionic leg I used basically the exact same process as Tael's ion rifle pathfinder in his killteam by taking a Necron warrior leg and removing everything from that little nub after the knee joint down. Then instead of using a regular Fire warrior foot, I just used those little nubs on the sprew where the sprew connects to the models. Just to make it look more artificial. The head is actually from the pathfinder set, that head that has the big scar, but the antenna is just a normal firewarrior one. Like the other shas'ui his cape is just green stuff as you can probably tell from the picture.

This pathfinder can just be used as a cool model in a pathfinder team, not a shas'ui because they can't have rail rifles sadly, or a totally legal model for SWA. I plan on him being a bit of a stealthy type who only fires his rail rifle after he is in position and possibly clearing out anyone who may be in that position with his trusty pulse pistol.
The pistol is from the firewarrior set with a little green stuff to make it look somewhat straight. You may not be able to see it in the picture but under that hood is actually the little camera head from the stealth team kit which was inspired by some other things I've seen in this modelling forum. The rest is just green stuff.

This is that samurai looking model that I still am not quite sure what to do with. Maybe I will make a special ragtag team of firewarriors with all different styles of armor and she will be part of it. I'm thinking of some sort of special Vior'la team that has all gone through the long march when the planet passes between its two suns.
The helmet is an energy shield with the bottom sanded off and a small hole drilled for the female head that comes in the firewarrior kit. Those knee pads are just the firewarrior sholder pads. On the back those two little armor pieces are halves of the end of a rail rifle from the pathfinder set.

This crisis suit will be the shas'vre to a team of crisis suits armed with fusion blasters and missile pods. The suit is intended to deal with any infantry that the unit may encounter with the twin burst cannons and help deal with longer range threats with the missile pods. I glued everything onto it and the other two so that is just how it will be regardless of the meta.
I haven't really altered the model much but I just like the way it looks with its base. I'm going to try to have those little flags on the based of officers as you could see from the shas'uis. There are also some little extra Tau bits scattered amoungst the rocks like a shield generator and a little canister. I'm kind of finished painting this one and the unit but I will probably clean up the sensors and use the dawnstone paint I recently bought to drybrush some edge highlights onto the darker parts. I will put more pictures up of the rest of the unit in a few days.

That's all the pictures I have for now. I hope I have inspired someone on this forum the same way it inspired me! I also hope that all my pictures went through and that the post is up to ATT standards with minimal spelling errors. I am posting this from my phone so there probably will be some mess ups.

Any questions, comments, or any kind of discussion would be appreciated. If you have any name ideas, lore, or character roles for any of my models, that would be especially appreciated.
Last edited by Joe5952 on Jul 06 2017 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Re: My First Tau Army

Post#2 » Jul 03 2017 01:56

Love the individual flare of each model, especially the basing and use of green stuff. I'll be keen to see your updates!

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 03 2017 02:38

double pistols was extra 'cool'

Would love to see this in a few SWA games

Joe5952
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 03 2017 08:23

Lechai Skull wrote:double pistols was extra 'cool'

Would love to see this in a few SWA games

Thanks for the feedback maybe I will try them out in a game of SWA. I haven't brought them to one mostly because the Tau can only use pathfinders and not firewarriors and I only have 2 normal pathfinders painted up.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 03 2017 09:29

i'm sure no-one would stop you from using your awesomely painted / converted miniatures as proxies for pathfinders.
I've only watched 1 batrep of Tau in SWA and they just used regular fire warriors with carbines.

Joe5952
Shas

New Pictures

Post#6 » Jul 03 2017 02:50

Here are those pictures I promised. Remember the ones on the main post are from April so it isn't like I painted them overnight. Right now I'm working on painting the breacher teams which is about 14 models that don't even have a base coat yet, so it may be a while before I can put out any new converted models.

Here is a picture of the two shas'uis and the crisis team together.

This is the finished shas'ui with the prosthetic leg. He is painted more or less the same way as the other shas'ui but I did do a little free hand work on the prosthetic leg. I realized I forgot to mention that I used the little binoculars that come in the pathfinder kit as a crotch guard.
In this front view you can see more of the face and the prosthetic hoof better.
Here is a back view for a better look at the cape, which I did make longer than the other shas'uis. I wanted it to drape down to the ground just to serve as a backdrop for the prosthetic leg to make it stand out more.

This is what the crisis suit unit looks like together. I know that missile pods aren't what they used to be, but they will give this unit some ranged anti-tank firepower at longer ranges.
Not much to say about the model itself aside from pointing out the obvious fact that it isn't in iriduim armor. I changed the shoulder plate from the shas'vres to match the breacher team shas'ui since the suit is shas'ui, the regular firewarriors will have red on top and white at the bottom.
Finally the last crisis suit member as well as the last new picture I have to show you. As you may have noticed I like to put little extra bits from the crisis suit kit on their bases just to add some color to the ones who aren't officers and don't have the little flags.

Hope you like the final product with the conversions. I may comvert a few normal firewarriors in the future, but I will mostly be focusing on preparing the breacher teams. I am not finished with this thread and intend to model a few firewarriors in a similar way to one of the firewarriors that Onos did, but it will probably be a while before then. Until then I'm up for chatting about any modeling ideas, questions, or just conversation in general. Feel free to comment and I will try to reply to the ones I can. Hope you enjoyed the start of my cadre!
Last edited by Joe5952 on Jul 06 2017 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 03 2017 03:00

tekkenotik wrote:Love the individual flare of each model, especially the basing and use of green stuff. I'll be keen to see your updates!

Glad to see that you are interested in my humble cadre. The basing is mostly from the citadel kit that has the Necron crystals in it. I just put down the same zap glue I use to put my models together, then place down the big rocks, and finish it off by sprinckling the tiny almost sand rocks on top. As I said I will explain how I make those little flags in another post.
What do you think I should call those little flags just to be more clear for when I make my topic in modeling on them?
I feel like calling them flags would be misleading to some. If anyone can think of a better name for them than tiny flags it would be greatly appreciated.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 06 2017 11:23

Due to the change in how photobucket allows only people who pay them $400 a year to see photos from it, I realize most won't be able to see the pictures in my posts.
I will edit the original post to have its links from postimage.org
If anyone can't see the pictures as a result of this please tell me.

Joe5952
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 26 2017 12:55

Minor Update
I've converted up a new fire warrior model.
This one is heavily inspired by one of Onos industries' fire warrior designs. It's more of a poor man's version with no use of special legs or custom green stuff body, but I like it and think it will look beter painted.
The head is just one of the sensor bits from the crisis suit box with green stuff on the sides to widen it a little bit. After the green stuff on the head dried I shaved some of it off with my little pair of sissors and file. There is also a little bit of green stuff on his back to give it a similar look to the greatcoat legs without needing to buy a separate set of legs. I may add some more green stuff to the mini cape just to make it look like it isn't tucked in under the model a little bit.
Not much else to say for now. I will update this post with new models and/or painted ones when I can. It will probably be a while though because I'm going on vacation.
Hope you like it! Comments are encouraged.

Return to “Common Workbench”