T'au sept colors and future sub factions

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
sunspear
Shas'Saal

T'au sept colors and future sub factions

Post#1 » Jul 07 2017 05:12

So I'm just starting a T'au army and I have a color scheme in mind for it. It calls for white sept markings, which I believe would mark it a a T'aun sept. But I have read that the possibility exists that the future codex may contain sub factions. I like fire warriors, breachers and pathfinders. My army is going to feature gue'vesa almost exclusively. So I am thinking to be safe I shouldn't do the white markings and stick with red or orange in case a future sub faction from v'iorla or sa'cea has the option for somehow tougher troops. But I am really liking the color scheme with the white markings
What are your thoughts?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: T'au sept colors and future sub factions

Post#2 » Jul 07 2017 05:41

The basic answer to this is they are your models and you can paint them any colour you want ;)

If you are trying to stay true to the fluff then there is no real reason to think that one Sept will be tougher than an other once the codex is released.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 07 2017 06:14

El'mo wrote:The basic answer to this is they are your models and you can paint them any colour you want ;)

If you are trying to stay true to the fluff then there is no real reason to think that one Sept will be tougher than an other once the codex is released.

This is correct, but if it turns out that different sept rules have starkly different playstyles (maybe Vior'la gives +1 to hit or something equally ridiculous) then it will feel weird to have your army be suddenly "counts-as" Vior'la. Not illegal or wrong, just weird.

Befiros
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 07 2017 07:52

I think you can paint them the way you like them most, I for example have mine painted green for some forest warfare, I think shadowsun would change the uniform of her troops depending on where they fight or at least i would.
Sorry for my english, is not my mother tonge

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jul 07 2017 08:28

White is actually the Sept colour of T'au, not Tau'n. Tau'n's Sept colour is grey.

However, it is a little known secret that the Sept Colours everyone is familiar with were not always so. A long time ago, when the Tau were first released, there were no codified Sept colours. The main GW studio Tau army was nominally from T'au and used a combination of red and white Sept Markings, the secondary GW studio scheme was nominally from Vior'la and used green Sept markings, and a third army by 'Evy Metal painter Mark Owen was from Dal'yth and used red Sept markings. The only instruction given in the 3rd edition Codex: Tau was that you should keep all Sept markings consistent across the army.

Then in 4th edition things started to change. The 4th edition Tau codex introduced the idea of a specific colour for each Sept. T'au was now white, Vior'la was now red, Au'taal was now green, Sa'cea was orange, Kel'shan was yellow, Bork'an was jade and D'yanoi was light blue. This setup was also mentioned in a subsequent White Dwarf article on painting Tau vehicles. However, the other Septs not listed were still unaccounted for.

It was the 6th edition codex that finally took the system to its logical conclusion and cemented specific colours for the remaining Septs. I can't help but wonder if this drive to fix 'rules' in place might have been a mistake in the long run, precisely because it leads to posts like this one. At any rate, the key things to remember here are that Tau aren't Space Marines, and it's your army, so paint it however you wish and source it from whatever Sept you like most. If someone questions it, simply point them to a copy of Codex: Tau. If it were me playing against you, I certainly wouldn't mind.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 07 2017 09:53

Kakapo42 wrote:it's your army, so paint it however you wish and source it from whatever Sept you like most.

My thoughs exactly. As long as your opponent knows what you are, its fine.

Besides the set armor colors in the codex is the standard colors for each sept. They will paint their armor mission specific to match the terrain.
Commander wiseblade

sunspear
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 07 2017 11:31

Alright, all of this sounds good to me.
I've been away from the game for a while and I'm trying to catch up on rules, fluff etc. all the while I'm learning as much as I can about the army. So I'm reading all of these different things and just wanted to see what others thought last were. Thanks

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 07 2017 11:48

Just declare to be whatever Sept suits your play.

Until a Vior'la firewarrior gets a different model or statline than a Tau Sept firewarrior, there's no "counts as" or proxy issue.

If you're a competitive play kinda guy/gal, you can see the merit of being allowed to use the Sept keyword as you wish, as long as you're not abusing it.

If you're a fluffy kinda guy/gal, you can see the merit of ignoring a rule that makes 0 sense fluff wise.

At the moment, the T'au Sept exclusively gets buffs from Darkstrider (two buffs) and Longstrike. No other sept receives exclusive buffs. And remember, the colours GW uses for Tau models these days are Vior'la, meaning they're pushing people to paint Vior'la and also pushing people to play T'au Sept. Yes, this might change with the codex, but the codex might be >1 year away and very few Septs (T'au and Vior'la) will receive exclusive buffs (which is why exclusive buffs are a horrible idea).

Moreover, GW thought it to be a good idea on their FAQ to only allow drones from the same sept can use Saviour protocols on a unit which, to me, sounds extremely broken, both logistically and fluff wise. Drone contollers also only work on same Sept drones (because reasons).

Homing beacons only provide benefits for units of the the same Sept as the Stealth Team that placed them (because reasons).

Transports only carry units from their Sept. I'm assuming there's a conductor that checks for ID and blocks admission to the vehicle to anyone he doesn't personally know.

So to me this looks like something that works fine for armies that have very distinct sub factions (Space Marines, Eldar) but is a terrible idea for armies where sub factions are mostly a paint scheme and fluff choice (Necrons, Orks, AdMech, Tyranids).

For those factions, I would stay clear of limiting buffs and would instead toy with army wide rules. A different markerlight table is fine. Different faction bonuses are fine. Not allowing a drone to intercept a wound for a unit of a different sept is just awful.

Alas, GW's FAQ hints that they have very different intentions.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 07 2017 12:46

I remember reading somewhere that all tau colors should serve as a cammo. Colors got assigned to septs thanks to that simplistic Star Wars meme that every planet has the same environment everywhere. This is a jungle planet, that is a desert planet, that moon is a swamp! You can ofc have such planets, but there certainly would be very frequent exceptions. And even if septs have something like a central world, some of them cover more than one planet.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 07 2017 01:15

My army is mostly painted Farsight Enclaves colors, but I have a feeling my Sept will be newly established and known primarily for the versatility of their cadres - why, they seem to be able to mimic the training effects of any one of the other septs nearby, as if they could be from ANY sept.

Truly amazing, how that works. ;)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 07 2017 08:54

khayman wrote:Until a Vior'la firewarrior gets a different model or statline than a Tau Sept firewarrior, there's no "counts as" or proxy issue.

For now anyway. When the Codex comes out we'll likely see sept-keyword buffs.

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 08 2017 04:03

Unusualsuspect wrote:My army is mostly painted Farsight Enclaves colors, but I have a feeling my Sept will be newly established and known primarily for the versatility of their cadres - why, they seem to be able to mimic the training effects of any one of the other septs nearby, as if they could be from ANY sept.

Yes, exactly. Bad rules deserve to be creatively mocked.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 08 2017 04:16

khayman wrote:
Unusualsuspect wrote:My army is mostly painted Farsight Enclaves colors, but I have a feeling my Sept will be newly established and known primarily for the versatility of their cadres - why, they seem to be able to mimic the training effects of any one of the other septs nearby, as if they could be from ANY sept.

Yes, exactly. Bad rules deserve to be creatively mocked.

The Farsight Enclaves are made up of all manner of traitors from the other Septs, so it could make sense how different units in the Enclaves could use varying tactics.

Return to “Common Workbench”