XV15 conversion help

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

XV15 conversion help

Post#1 » Jul 19 2017 11:12

Fio'faan of ATT,
Through a few old project threads, I came across the old xv15 stealth suit. And it is beautiful.

If any of you on the orbital own such a suit, what would be the best way to convert one of them from something else? As I do not own the models I have no dimensions or sense of scale with this suit.
Help?

Tau'va

Sniper

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: XV15 conversion help

Post#2 » Jul 19 2017 11:50

Don't have one, but I know how to make a decent conversion.

You'll need a SM chest piece, an unbuilt XV25 to butcher, a FW head (I recommend breacher) and a pair of shoulder pads.

First you file off any imperial insignia off the SM chest piece, to make it bland.

You take the unbuilt XV25, and take the engines off the body (the two come attached). you need only the engine.

After that point, assembly should be rather obvious

If you got another shoulder pad to butcher, you can take out the tau symbol and place it in the center of the chest piece.

This is the end result
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/20 ... %20Tau.JPG

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 20 2017 12:05

You can either do so from the XV25 stealths by cutting off the cowl, clean up the chestpiece and stick on a firewarrior helmet like this:

Or since you want an aesthetic closer to the original XV15s you could use longstrike as a base, replace his head with a helmet and his arm below the elbow with a stealth burstcannon. Pricing and posing might be a problem though...
Image Image

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 20 2017 02:04

Nuni. It seems that it is slightly bulkier than a fire warrior with a jet pack and a burst cannon, from your conversions.

Tau'va

Sniper

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 20 2017 02:32

Well it isn't much heavier than a Firewarrior with some additional armor plating.
The 1 in the XV15 means that it's in a weightclass somewhere between the experimental pilote suit and the more advanced Stealth Suit.

Anyway, I will never understand why people want the older design over the newer much cooler designed Stealth Suits. But to each their own. :D

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 20 2017 04:25

Panzer wrote:Anyway, I will never understand why people want the older design over the newer much cooler designed Stealth Suits. But to each their own. :D

Because the newer, bulky, ugly ones look horrific in some peoples opinion.

I'll be picking a few up from eBay to strip down and repaint soon hopefully as I've lost a few of mine.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 20 2017 07:24

Well that and for modeling reasons the XV15 is smaller than the 25 meaning it can hide behind terrain easier and what not. Personally I have both and if someone would like I can post a pic of them side by side later.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 20 2017 08:48

FYI Did a check of eBay and there are loads of XV-15s listed for both direct sale or bid. Over a short time I amassed something like forty XV-15s. Just keep checking eBay. :evil:

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 20 2017 11:07

How is that the Imperium can make a skin tight unitard stealth. But tau have an egg.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 20 2017 11:34

Knives wrote:How is that the Imperium can make a skin tight unitard stealth. But tau have an egg.

Well, the Tau egg does have an advanced sensor suite, a jet pack, a massive gun, and heavy armor.

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 21 2017 12:03

Wargaming exclusive sells an interesting Shas'vre model that is modeled around the xv15s.

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/great ... der-ghost/

Of course he is in a resting state with his jetpack, actually most of his suit, off. Still a cool model.
Commander wiseblade

Return to “Common Workbench”