Start Collecting Box: Purchase now or later?

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Start Collecting Box: Purchase now or later?

Post#1 » Jul 25 2017 10:51

I'd like to purchase a Start Collecting box for extra FW and XV8 bits and some modeling projects I'm in process with (Necron/Tau allies, and Vespid/FW conversions). I'm wondering if I can afford to wait.

How likely is it that the cost will increase, or that the contents will change with the release of 8th edition or the new Tau codex?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Start Collecting Box: Purchase now or later?

Post#2 » Jul 25 2017 10:54

I don't think it's likely for the cost to increase at all but GW could decide to not continue them at some point to introduce another kind of starting box which might not have such great value.
Or differently said: no reason to not buy it now.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 25 2017 12:16

I'm also really hesitant on buying another SC box :?
Sure I'll be needing another unit of troops eventually and some XV8's (in the hope the Codex will serve them justice).

But who knows what new SC deals may include. I Think I need to pull the trigger and get at least another box and also the Optimised Pathfinder team.
Cheers!
Nix

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 25 2017 01:15

nix0n wrote:I'm also really hesitant on buying another SC box :?
Sure I'll be needing another unit of troops eventually and some XV8's (in the hope the Codex will serve them justice).

But who knows what new SC deals may include. I Think I need to pull the trigger and get at least another box and also the Optimised Pathfinder team.

I personally wouldn't grab the Optimised team since you'll miss out on the goodies on a hammerhead box since they are decent this edition. Pathfinder boxes are cheap enough I'd probably grab one of those with a hammerhead to be able to swap out parts. Just my thoughts.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 25 2017 02:39

Fair point. But I need a fishy for my future breachers. And getting a pack of pathfinders on top of that for the cheap sounds like a great deal to me.
Cheers!
Nix

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 25 2017 03:05

nix0n wrote:Fair point. But I need a fishy for my future breachers. And getting a pack of pathfinders on top of that for the cheap sounds like a great deal to me.

You can make a fish from the hammerhead model. Devilfish does not come with hammerhead parts, hammerhead box comes with devilfish parts. That's why I suggested it for you. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 25 2017 09:15

I'd say there's a good chance that there's a new Start Collecting box that comes out when the new Codex does, and probably at a lesser value as compared to the current one.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 25 2017 10:56

Even if there's a future new SC box with incredible value (nothing even hints at something like that so far, mind you!), if you just need the Crisis from the current SC box it's already worth to buy it. If you need the Firewarrior and the Crisis then it should be a nobrainer even. It's not like a new box will make the current one have less value. :D

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 26 2017 04:04

The start collecting boxes aren't around that long yet, They came out while there was already work done on 8th edition and they were probably fashioned with that in mind. So I would not expect any changes. Only new start collecting for factions that haven't gotten one yet (are there any left?)

Return to “Common Workbench”