Forgeworld Hammerhead variant turrets

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Forgeworld Hammerhead variant turrets

Post#1 » Jul 25 2017 02:56

Well I wasn't sure whether to post it in General Discussion or here so if it's the wrong place, just move it. :P

So I started getting somewhat interested in the Forgeworld Hammerhead options since those are just simple weapon swaps instead of whole models which I'm more content with (for some reason).
Especially the Burst Cannon variant looks very interesting to play since I don't plan on using lots of Strike Teams or Gun Drones.

Now to my question:
Since FW doesn't seem to sell them anymore, does anybody know how to convert/kitbash them?
My first idea was to take the Skyray turret and the Riptide burst cannons but that seems a bit excessive for a simple Hammerhead turret since those bits should be fairly hard to get without buying the boxes itself...and if I buy two Riptides I sure as hell don't want to use their good weapon for a single kitbash. :D

Or maybe a 3rd party source that fits the T'au aesthetic?

If you did something like that, go ahead and share experiences, pictures and/or sources. ;)

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Re: Forgeworld Hammerhead variant turrets

Post#2 » Jul 25 2017 03:03

Panzer wrote:Well I wasn't sure whether to post it in General Discussion or here so if it's the wrong place, just move it. :P

So I started getting somewhat interested in the Forgeworld Hammerhead options since those are just simple weapon swaps instead of whole models which I'm more content with (for some reason).
Especially the Burst Cannon variant looks very interesting to play since I don't plan on using lots of Strike Teams or Gun Drones.

Now to my question:
Since FW doesn't seem to sell them anymore, does anybody know how to convert/kitbash them?
My first idea was to take the Skyray turret and the Riptide burst cannons but that seems a bit excessive for a simple Hammerhead turret since those bits should be fairly hard to get without buying the boxes itself...and if I buy two Riptides I sure as hell don't want to use their good weapon for a single kitbash. :D

Or maybe a 3rd party source that fits the T'au aesthetic?

If you did something like that, go ahead and share experiences, pictures and/or sources. ;)

I have toyed with the idea of using a Remora as a basis for the conversion. It would be easy to leave off the wings and also the engine exhausts. They even come with a neat install of the smart missiles for your hammerhead. The scale looks about right to my eyes and you are starting with one of the neater looking FW models.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 25 2017 03:15

If I'd get Remoras I'd like to use them themselves though. :D
I also kinda try to avoid Forgeworld models as much as possible since I really dislike whole Resin models and don't want my wallet to tell them it's okay to keep producing stuff in Resin. :P

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 25 2017 04:45

I used a cutdown skyray missile mount, and just hung weapons (on magnets) underneath

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 25 2017 05:10

With the latest FAQ updates for Longstrike I've been pondering the same thing. Haven't tried it yet but I was thinking of using parts from Reddogminis to do a conversion. Their Riptide substitute weapons should be about the right size and style for what's needed and combining them with a Skyray turret I think would look pretty good.

http://www.reddogminis.com/riptide-compatible.html

I bought a bunch of CIBs from them about a month back. Very happy with the quality of the work!
'Cause I'm a sucker for applying math to things - http://www.grimdarkmath.com

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 25 2017 09:12

There are some great pictures around the web where a Riptide's Heavy Burst Cannon is used as the main gun, representing the Twin Heavy Burst Cannon option. Also I bet the Skyray turret would be a great base for that kind of conversion!

Return to “Common Workbench”