I have collected Tau since release, but never really fully committed to playing/modeling a full army. I've just painted various things I fancied doing from different armies on and off over the years (and also generated quite the untouched pile of shame). This edition however has me wanting to play, and more specifically wanting to play Tau.
I'm in the process of selling/trading my gigantic marine based pile of shame that are unpainted to concentrate purely on Tau, the only non-Tau I'll be keeping are a few Harlies and Deathwatch models, which I just want to paint because they are pretty.
I'm currently building everything Tau I own that still needs putting together (more pile of shame), with the plan to paint everything in a production line.
Now here comes the tricky part;
I'm considering stripping, re-painting and re-basing all of my currently finished Tau stuff (see below) and adding them to the production line to re-paint;
Some of my motivations for a repaint are;
- The colours I used are discontinued
- I'm a considerably better painter now and use different methods (including airbrushing, blending and edge highlights)
- I'm unhappy with the basic style of basing I used
- The way I have my pathfinder/drone set up will no longer work game wise
- I would like to use and established sept/colour scheme (gone are the days of wanting to avoid the box art)
However, I do need to consider as cons to this idea;
- The time that would be needed to strip/repaint these items
- Damage - Will my forgeworld broadsides resin hold up well to dettol/other paint strippers?
- What scheme will I go for? Colour wise I like Vior'la, Sa'cea and to a lesser extent, traditional Tau Ochre
- Should the upcoming Codex and possible Sept traits have much of an impact on my army?
- How much impact will Sept fluff have on my army?
Essentially I want an army that I love the look of, am proud of (painting/basing wise) and is fun to play (will sept traits force me down a play style I don't like?). Fluff might play some part in it too since I'm a big fluff bunny unfortunately .
For reference, this is what my more recent painting is like (I know it's not Tau, just the most recent thing I painted, apologies);
At the moment I think I'm leaning towards going for the Blue-Grey/Orange Sa'cea colour scheme with urban tarmac/paving bases.
I'm feeling a bit of decision paralysis about this at the moment for some reason. I may just be looking for re-assurance, but I'd like some input from other people on what they think (my local friends haven't been much use, none of them play Tau or really know much about them).
Any input/discussion/opinions/suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance lovers xx