Flying with Miniatures

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Flying with Miniatures

Post#1 » Jul 31 2017 01:58

I moved abroad a few years ago, and now that I've settled in I'm bringing my 40k collection over. The collection fits exactly in a Sabol Army Transport case:

http://www.saboldesigns.net/armytransport.html

I'll be taking it carry-on, as the dimensions fit within my airlines' carry-on allowance. I'm flying on Delta and Southwest.
Is this the best way to bring miniatures abroad, and most importantly, is it safe for the models? Does anyone have experience taking miniatures on a plane, particularly with a Sabol Army Transport? If you have any advice, I'd be happy to listen. Tau'va!

Knives
Shas'Saal

Re: Flying with Miniatures

Post#2 » Jul 31 2017 02:50

Well. I have experience with flying and instruments. I can tell you this. They don't have enough overhead space. You could easily get your bag checked into luggage if you come on last. So be prepared for total destruction of your minis. I had a really really solid 200 form fitting Case and my guitar was chipped. And the case had holes in it. You could tap dance on this thing. So unless you have a solid steel case with shock absorption foam. Be ready for your worst day.

You also have a carry on and personal under your seat. About 15 to 18 inches wide.

All I can say is good luck. Your stuff could be lego on the other side.

Someone get this man a beer.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 31 2017 03:55

How far do they have to travel? It might be an alternative to wait for them a bit longer and get them to your new place by car.

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 31 2017 08:36

Based on my experiences;
1) make sure the minis fit the slots well; I'd suggest gently pad with tissue to reduce excess movement. (it also helps keep anything that breaks off together with the mini it comes from). Your case will likely be on its side for a considerable period, so models may need extra support.
2) Seriously consider paying for priority boarding; as Knives said, overhead space is limited. It's also worth mentioning that other travelers may be less than gentle trying to shove their own bags into the overheads. Try to put your case at the end of the section, so it at least has a solid wall on one side.

I previously flew a 2000pt Nid army from California to London in hand luggage and it worked well, even without a hard case.

I have however heard horror stories of TSA actually confiscating minis because they have (tiny) replica weapons (eh, minimum wage bureacrats...common sense is not a job requirement), so you might want to check on the official policy before you get to the airport.

Return to “Common Workbench”